Profile for Kate Mattheys > Reviews

Content by Kate Mattheys

Kate Mattheys "Book bunny" (UK)

Law for Social Workers
Law for Social Workers
by Hugh Brayne

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 13 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Law for Social Workers (Paperback)
This is a really good book for students - I'm a first year on the MSW programme. It was invaluable for the law assignment!! Easy to read and with a lot of detail.

Hugo Chavez and the Bolivarian Revolution: And the Bolvarian Revolution in Venezuela
by Richard Gott

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 1 Aug. 2008
I rather enjoyed this book. It was an interesting historical account of Chavez and the rise of his movement (and himself) in Venezuela. I enjoyed reading about the coup in April 2003, and although I can appreciate people think the book is biased, I still thought it was insightful and interesting.
My only wish was that it had discussed the actual impact of Chavez's Bolivarian policies in Venezuela and how the lives of poor people have(or haven't) been improved since he came to power.
I would recommend this book to those who have an interest in the history of the country.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2009 12:25 PM GMT

This is Madness: A Critical Look at Psychiatry and the Future of Mental Health Services
by Craig Newnes

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 1 Aug. 2008
I thought this was a really good sociological analysis of the mental health system, looking at a range of different issues such as the futility of using drugs to treat depression when no attempt is made to look at the root cause of why people get depressed - such as domestic violence and poverty etc.
Some of the chapters were great, a couple I didn't get or agree with, but overall it was a really interesting read and I would recommend anyone with an interest in the field to have a read of it.

The House Of The Spirits
The House Of The Spirits
by Isabel Allende

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Aug. 2008
I absolutely loved this book! It was colourful and political, about love and family, sadness and tragedy, all wrapped into one heart-warming story. For me it was one of those books that once I started, I didn't want to do anything else but see what happened next.

Allende has become my favourite author as a result of this book. I would advise anyone to read it.