Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now DIYED Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for Jaggeh > Reviews

Content by Jaggeh

Jaggeh (UK)

Geomancer: Volume One of The Well of Echoes
Geomancer: Volume One of The Well of Echoes
by Ian Irvine

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, 12 Feb. 2007
(Quick note, the opinions below, while aimed at this book, take the entire Well of Echoes series into account).

I had never heard of Ian Irvine and, to be honest, when I started this hadn't read any fantasy stuff in quite a while (apart from a re-read of LoTR when the movies came out.

To be honest, I am not a huge fantasy novel fan - this, I think it mainly because of bad experiences with sub-standard, tolkeinesque immitations.

Irvine, however, has restored my faith in fantasy literature. Without reading any of his previous works and hearing absolutely nothing about it (apart from a friend saying "borrow this, it's pretty good") I went from apathetic to fan. In fact, I read the first three and got a tad upset when I found the Chimera hadn't even been released by the time I'd finished the third book...

To allay some fear regarding technobabble and terminology, to be honest, I didn't find any of it difficult at all. Well, if I did I can't remember - I may have just ignored it and got swept away in the story.

Technically, this could be classed as 'steampunk'. A fantasy world, yet dark and gritty with technology slightly more advanced than your average fantasy faire.

Another thing I like is that, unlike Tolkien, there is no good and bad. There is no obvious "this is a bad person" or "they are a good guy". There is just people doing what people do to survive. Relatively early in the book you realise even the Lyrinx are not 'evil' - again, they are just surviving.

Anyway. Forget genres. If you like a damn good read that's not just a cookie cut "get party together, have adventures from A to B, kill bad buy", if you like well writted, superbly paced stories with believable characters with their own beliefs, understandings and human failings and sweeping, epic plots that don't feel too contrived then this book should be read.

And my final, honest opinion? I preffered it to LoTR...

*ducks*

Shame
Shame

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possible one of the best albums ever, 25 July 2006
This review is from: Shame (Audio CD)
This is one of those gems I had forgotten about 'til a couple of years ago.

I had practically forgotten it until I heard a small bit in Black Hawk Down and I ran out and bought it.

Since then it is one album I never tire of.

While Interiors has possible some superior tracks on it, Shame is just what real music should be about - a group of friends, getting together and jamming. The product of which is unserpassed by any mass produced, churned out plastic bands so prevelant in to days music industry.

This CD I put on at parties - and after it's been playing a few times people are asking about wanting to know who it is. And nobody complains - they just want a copy.

It's difficult to recommend this album based purely on it's members 'main' musical careers. While Stone is obviously quite famous due to Pearl Jam the music is nothing like it.

It really must be listened to. With the lights off.

Is simply pure, musical genius.

H To He Who Am The Only One
H To He Who Am The Only One

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Old Stuff :), 7 Jun. 2006
This isn't so much a review of the songs and technical apptitude - just a couple of comments. I just have to comment on this album :)

I honestly can't remember when I first heard this album. I must have been a child.
The reason I say this is that one day, when I was 20 something I found an old carrier bag with a load of tapes n stuff from when my parents moved. Inside was one labelled Sunfighter - it wasn't.

But anyway, I played it - for curiosities sake (and because when you grow up you realise your parents often have good taste in music - if only because it often influences yours without you realising).

I recognised Killer from somewhere - but couldn't put my finger on it.
House with no Door sent shivers up my spine and my hairs stood on end. The song is amazing but I couldn't for the life of me remember where I heard it.

Searching the net for Sunfighter returned no results - cos the tape was mislabelled :) (Typical of many students, whether now or 30 years ago).

Anyway, I suppose I'm trying to say that this album is pretty amazing on some level because when I first heard it as an adult I could remmeber snippets and melodies that I could only have heard as a kid.
Turns out my dad was into it before I was born ('74).

But as a prog rock fan anyway (fave being the neo-prog Marillion) this (and The Moody Blues, Nazareth and Sunfighter, King Crimson etc) probably had a massive influence.

So if you like classic rock stuff check it out - definately worth it.
If you're into anything melodic and rocky check it out anyway - who knows - you might recognise bits.

The Fool
The Fool
Offered by Disco100

4.0 out of 5 stars Support these guys - they deserve it, 17 Aug. 2005
This review is from: The Fool (Audio CD)
First up I haven't heard the album yet...
(Once this cheque clears, honest).
So what makes me qualified to review it? Couple of things. I've seen 'em live a few times, I've got the EP and I'm not typically into this kind of music. :)
For this reason I can sing their praises based upon the quality of their work without being swayed by similar music or influences.
Basically, the EP is great and definately worth listening to. The music is reminicent of Tool (the only comparison I can make as I own a couple of Tool albums) and doesn't have a typical emo/commercial sound to it.
The melodies while kinda dark are perfectly offset by Tobias' voice. It just works.
It's a shame some of the remixes that are on the ep aren't on the album - especially if you like NIN stuff.
Still, if you're into they goth thing or early 90's industrial stuff check em out.
Oh, another reason to get it cos because it's great to see a band through their early times make it successful - especially if their not churning out the endless pap we're used to these days. Talent and good tunes should be supported.
note: 4 stars 'cos I can't comment on the rest of the album and Lara's not with them any more :(