Profile for SHANN > Reviews

Content by SHANN

SHANN "SHANN" (England, London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Rough Guide to Rome
The Rough Guide to Rome
by Martin Dunford
Price: 10.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but latest version available, 26 May 2008
This was a usful guide to Rome. Only real issue is around restaurants but this is the same with any Lonely Planet/Rough Guide. Either they are no longer there (probably go bust) or they are not as expected. With food I would recommend you look around and dont make a rash choice. Also, try to avoid the main tourist areas for food/drink as you will get ripped off. It seems that there are two price lists... one for tourists and one for locals. Rome is a fantastic city and this book will guide you through well. The latest version is available and is only 6.99 so I think its worth the trade up. The main differences though is mainly around where to stay, eat, drink but if your not too concerned about those and just want a book for the main attractions then this version will hold you in good stead. Also, be careful on the transport system. You may need to pay for a ticket AND then validate it. If you fall foul on this then expect a ticket.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall [DVD]
Forgetting Sarah Marshall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Segel
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 2.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable with some good moments, 26 May 2008
The storyline was predictable, the humour very much in the same vain as superbad and knocked up (its the same people). Saying this, I did enjoy it and there were some sporadic moments which were very funny. Mila Kunis was very hot (but average when it came to acting) and Russell brand is actually quite good - I'm not a fan but he was no where nearly as bad as I feared and actually came across well. The rest of the cast were.... there. The film brings nothing new to the genre and is probably a good sunday night film where you are not required to think too hard. It will provide you with laughs if you like this type of film but I would not rush out and buy it. Wait for it to go on offer for under 5 ($10)!!!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2-Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 2.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but with some poor moments, 25 May 2008
Really enjoyed watching this at the cinema. It has all the ingredients you would expect from an indi film, wit, charm, plenty of action and great pieces of humour. What I did not like was that there were a few moments of creative license gone mad. The ending, for me, was a real disappointment. Thankfully ET or Jar Jar Binks did not do a cameo (although I bet Lucas was tempted!) but the ending was bordering on the ridiculous. I know that the intention was to reflect the mood of the 1950's and the Mccarthy era but it took it one step too far. Cate Blanchett was superb as always, Harrison Ford slipped back into the role very well and Shia LeBeouf looks like an Indi in the making. Ray Winstone was competent but I think the plot, mainly the ending, let the film down. Another example of the ludicrous was LeBeouf swinging in the trees like Tarzan - it just looked stupid. That said, I did really enjoy the latest installment and it appears that more will come from this franchise in the future. Worth buying to add to the collection.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2008 11:06 PM BST

Nikon Coolpix S210 Digital Camera - Blue (8.0MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD
Nikon Coolpix S210 Digital Camera - Blue (8.0MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good easy to use camera, 11 May 2008
Bought it cheaply from Jessops and have so far found it very good. The 8mp camera with 3x optical zoom means that pictures are good quality short to medium distance and the 3 inch screen means you can get a good feel for whether the picture is flattering. Limited if your a serious photographer but we are not so its great for day to day and going on holiday. Compact so is easy to fit in pocket/bags. Would buy it again knowing what I know and is a great buy if you can get it for under 110.

Son Of Rambow [DVD] [2007]
Son Of Rambow [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Bill Milner
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent film, 15 April 2008
This review is from: Son Of Rambow [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I have just seen this film at the cinema. Its an excellent period film set in the 1980s about a friendship which crosses to completely different backgrounds. The acting from the two boys is superb and the clever humour throughout kept me laughing. The pace is good so you dont get bored and there are some truly memorable moments (I wont spoil by saying what they are!) which had me in tears of laughter. The ending is cheesy but definitely well done and there are some true moments of emotion which really strike a chord. I would thoroughly recommend this film, particularly if you liked "This is England" and I will certainly buy it when it comes out.

Harvard Business Review on Strategies for Growth: The Definitive Resource for Professionals ("Harvard Business Review" Paperback)
by Harvard Business Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Great strategic book, 13 April 2008
This book is very good. The chapters on mergers and acquisitions were a bit dry for my taste but the section on creating value through innovation really is excellent. Its pitched at junior management level and has really shaped my thinking in the workplace and sparked some great ideas on how my business can create value. If you are like me, a junior manager working their way up the ladder then this book is definitely for you. Buy it if you take your commercial career seriously!!

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars - Kane Edition (PC DVD)
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars - Kane Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by Startup Media
Price: 25.26

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 4 April 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
It has its good points which are outlined in other reviews such as visuals but its quite tedious and limited. I think overall its a sloppy addition to the C&C series and I've tired of it already. Shame

Samsung LE40M87BDX/XEU - 40" Widescreen 1080P Full HD LCD TV - With Freeview
Samsung LE40M87BDX/XEU - 40" Widescreen 1080P Full HD LCD TV - With Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good TV, 24 Mar 2008
We picked this up for circa 700 and its really good. The TV comes into its own when you combine with Blu ray - its incredible. I',m no techno geek but I think this TV is well worth the money. Whether it be for watching digi TV, DVDs, Blu Ray or gaming it gets top marks on all. Its easy to set up and its now obvious to me why Samsung TVs are performing so well - they are excellent across the board. Having seen the difference between this 40" and a 32" I think the extra cost is definitely worth it if you can afford to go that extra 8". As my good lady would say, every inch counts!!

Gioteck EX-01 Bluetooth Headset (PS3)
Gioteck EX-01 Bluetooth Headset (PS3)
Price: 9.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Currently waiting on the help desk, 24 Mar 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I have had to email the gioteck support as my head set isnt working properly. At this moment I am not happy with the product. I can hear what is being said but they cannot hear me when I speak. If you have any suggestions (yes I have turned it on, I have re-connected it and followed the manual) then please feel free to comment...
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2008 9:22 PM BST

Apple iPod Nano 8GB silver - 3rd Generation (discontinued by manufacturer)
Apple iPod Nano 8GB silver - 3rd Generation (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 Mar 2008
Really good. Plenty of memory for music with enough for some videos/pictures. Worth buying and is really portable. Easy to use and download onto so worth the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10