Profile for NVR > Reviews

NVR (Bucks, England, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Keene USB FM Transmitter
Keene USB FM Transmitter

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well apart from sound quality (but I think that's driver-related). Works on Linux :D, 24 July 2013
I found a Linux driver at this Github repository:

edit: Looks like Amazon removed my link to the Github repo. The repo name is kenchy/keene-usb-audio. /edit

Try out the forks, see which one works for you. It appears that the driver is in the kernel now, but it might not work like that if you are using an older kernel.

I'm not impressed with the sound quality of this product, but if it isn't the driver's fault, I don't think I can expect much from a USB sound card and FM-band. So the sound quality didn't affect my rating.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 6.5 Feet / 2.0 m Supports Ethernet / 3D / Audio Return (Newest Standard)
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, didn't test all features., 24 July 2013
Plugged them in, and was ready to go :) I haven't been able to test all of the features, because I don't have equipment capable of Ethernet or 3D.

SCART plug to SCART plug, ribbon cable, 1.5m - bag
SCART plug to SCART plug, ribbon cable, 1.5m - bag

2.0 out of 5 stars Electrodes were bent out of place, had to correct it, 24 July 2013
I received the product on time, and it operates correctly, but only after I bent the electrodes back in place. It appears that AV Link hasn't reviewed its Quality Assurance procedures lately :/

MiniSuit Slim Profile Stand Case for Google Nexus 4 Smart Phone (LG E960) Black PU Leather

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall good, would be nice if it could open either way (left or right). I appear to have one that opens to the left?, 17 May 2013
This is a nice case, and it gets the job done. It has a hard plastic layer inside the leather which provides firmness and overall strength. (I can't see it being metal, using a conductor would interfere with radios, and if it was magnetic, the compass.)

All four corners are protected, especially when the case is closed.

Note that if you have the phone in the right way (so that you have access to the camera/flashlight hole) while using it in the 'stand' position, you can't easily access the volume keys without moving the phone, and you can only have the USB cable on the right.

But the speaker works just fine if you have the phone in the wrong way, because the speaker is just in the right place to be exposed by the camera/flashlight hole.

What other cases sometimes have is a border right around the case, which makes a ridge at all four edges of the phone. Some people say that this impedes touch-screen operation, especially when swiping over the edges of the phone, like most user interfaces now demand. Not so with this one, obviously, and touch-screen operation of the phone is smooth.

One thing I don't like is that the upper-right corner of the case (the corner closest to the front-facing camera) isn't holding on as tight as the others, and comes off easily. But this effect is mitigated when the case is closed, and by the other three corners.

Another thing, some other reviews appear to be saying that the case opens to the right... That isn't so with mine, it opens to the left. Maybe an inexperienced packager? Maybe they changed it? Maybe Amazon's advertising has become so intrusive that they know whether I'm a leftie or rightie? XD

Tron: Legacy
Tron: Legacy
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed by the download quality... but certainly not disappointed by content!, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Tron: Legacy (MP3 Download)
The piece is magnificent, and some of the tracks even give me goosebumps when I listen to them. But the downloads Amazon gave me were of a substandard codec (VLC tells me it's 128kbps MP3, CBR), and the Linux support for Cloud Player's download service is terrible. With all the money going through Amazon, and what they are allegedly withholding from the government of my country of residence, I thought they would have the resources to do better.

I got around this technicality, but in retrospect, I should have used one of the competitors.

TP-Link TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter
TP-Link TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reception, especially with USB extension cable, 6 Feb 2013
I've used one of these for about a year and six months. It has served me well, and I've used it on Windows 7 64-bit, and Linux Mint 13 Maya 64-bit, both on the same desktop computer. I just ordered another one for my laptop.

I advise getting a USB extension lead when using one of these. Wifi transmission rates get iffy, especially when reception is bad, since the signal is digital, and if a certain threshold in signal quality is reached, almost no data can get through at all. An extra dBm or two on signal strength makes all the difference.

I also advise using a program like Inssider (iwScanner on Linux) to measure exact wifi signal strength and how other wifi networks in the area might be affecting your network. The more densely populated area you live in, the more important this is. On that note, looking out for equipment that can use Channel 13 (legal in the UK) is a good idea, since most of your neighbours will be using Channels 1 to 11. This dongle can do Channel 13.

edit: Better than using Inssider on a desktop PC (if you don't have a laptop to move around) would be to use a smartphone and walk around your house to see which networks of your neighbours are using which channels more. There are many free/open source 'wardriving' apps designed for precise mapping but which can be used to get only the channels of networks.

WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATAIII 6GB/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive - OEM
WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATAIII 6GB/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Offered by Xtreme_Drives
Price: 63.00

4.0 out of 5 stars First impressions - noisy, but works great, 29 Sep 2012
These are my first impressions, I've been using this drive for about two days. I'll report back if anything bad happens within its lifetime.

After the floods in Thailand, I've waited so long for the price of hard drives to go down, and got fed up with the wait, so I decided to go for the cheapest 1TB 7200 RPM drive I could find. So I know this is probably by no means the best drive out there.

Being a 7200 rpm drive, I'm clearly impressed by its performance on games compared to my old 5400 rpm drives. The drive's enclosure is either solidly constructed, or it's just a lot of dead weight. I think the former is more likely.

The one thing I don't like about the drive is the noise it produces. I can hear ever click and bip it makes while it's working. I'm not worried about this noise, though, as I've had drives in the past which made that noise during normal operation, but that was in the nineties and early 2000's. The more recent drives I've had were more quiet, so it's unexpected for this one to make so much noise.
I think the noise problem can be solved by getting sound proofing for the computer case it sits in. There are foam blocks and sheets around which sit in the case, mitigating the noise from moving parts of a computer. I won't name any brand names.

Koss Over-Ear Pro DJ100 Headphones - Black
Koss Over-Ear Pro DJ100 Headphones - Black
Price: 53.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Going to have to splice the cable.., 6 July 2012
I got this product used from a certain third-party seller through Amazon and expected it to work correctly, since there were no specific remarks on the product. Unfortunately, the cable isn't working properly at the device-side plug, and I'm going to have to splice it to fit a new plug. :(

The last person who used this product also seems to have worn out the cushioning a bit, but that is okay for me I think. I can tell it's been used a lot also by the smell of oft-washed hair on the cups and top band.

edit: When attempting to splice the wire of the product with another wire I had in my house, with the help of my dad, I saw that the copper wires inside the cable are _extremely_ thin, and the solder didn't quite make contact with the cable belonging to the right-hand speaker, so my unit is currently defective, and we'll have to solder a cable directly inside the left cup of the unit if possible.

A word on sound quality, though. When the cable was working properly (after we tied the wires together but before we soldered it) I thought the sound quality is really good, bass comes out well (Pretty Lights sounds wonderful), treble is good as well (Japanese game sound tracks sound quirky as they should). If I had a working version of this product, I'd give it 5 stars at this price. The swiveling cups I also like, as they adjust to your head well. Large ears may not completely fit inside the cups, and if you buy a used pair, the cup cushions may be worn out, as mine are. Mine appear to have been used in a studio where throwing things about is acceptable, as it has quite a few cosmetic marks. I would very highly recommend buying a new unit if possible.

Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black
Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mouse for its price (review after 1 month and 2 weeks of use) (lasted 2 years and 4 months), 9 Jun 2012
tl;dr: Good mouse, has a little manufacturing kink, big range of DPI settings, weights are optional, and if you wish to use on Linux, maintain access to Windows for config purposes. Also, after nearly two years of use (it still works!) the rubbery coating on the large back surface has started to peel off and disintegrate. Mouse lasted 2 years and 4 months before giving erroneous clicks, bought a new one of the same model.

This mouse feels good to use - and fits my hand well. I bought it because my previous mouse started having problems. The left mouse button started registering false double-clicks.

This mouse does not have a merged body (the buttons are not merged with the back of the body) so I think it will last a little longer. I can see that the mouse isn't really well made, the strip of plastic (made from a different kind of plastic than the rest of the mouse) between the buttons of the mouse and the back part of the body is lifted as if the strip is too big, or it expanded in sunlight, or quality control missed something out. There is a significant difference in height between the back of the body and this strip.
However, the DPI setting is extremely convenient and has a wide range which can be adjusted by the mouse's configuration software.

One small ergonomic kink is that the two small leftmost buttons are a little high to reach. But unlike other mice of the same class, you can feel the difference between the two (the back one has a pattern on it).

The mouse also has weights on it, which can be adjusted by the use of a pen and some intuition. The weights aren't very heavy, so if you are looking for something more professional with very heavy weights, this may not be for you. But the weights currently in the mouse makes it feel very smooth and 'under control' while gaming.

If you wish to use this mouse on Linux, there is currently no software for configuring the mouse's buttons. You will need to have access to at least one Windows (Vista or later, I would think) system in order to configure it. The mouse has an internal memory, and it remembers its settings when you use it on Linux. If anyone has the guts to make Linux software for configuring this mouse, that would be awesome.

edit2: Also, after nearly two years of use (it still works!) the rubbery coating on the large back surface has started to peel off and disintegrate. This falls in line with the assumption that the manufacturing quality of the plastic case is poor, the coating on the mouse buttons are not coming off in the same way.

edit3: After 2 years and 4 months of moderate use (heavy usage in comparison to most end users, though), the buttons were registering single clicks twice. This could have been fixed by buying and soldering on new microswitches, but I opted to simply buy a new mouse of the same model because of the effort and delivery costs that would take and the rubber coating coming off (as mentioned in the last edit). The new mouse didn't come with the manufacturing defects of the previous one. RSI has also not been a problem again throughout my use, so I removed the section about RSI in my original review as I now see it as completely irrelevant.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2012 8:23 PM BST

AQA Physics A A2: Student's Book (Aqa Physics for A2)
AQA Physics A A2: Student's Book (Aqa Physics for A2)
by J Breithaupt
Price: 25.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor standards set by AQA, but the only book 'endorsed' by this course and used by my center. :(, 22 April 2012
Grammatical errors such as "...where m is the of liquid..." (should say mass between the and of) has crept into this book, as has mistakes in the answers at the back for the summary questions. My tutor agreed that they are incorrect. This kind of standard is unacceptable in a course such as this, where the actual standard for pupils writing the exams are relatively higher.

Additionally, there is no section for the optional modules of the course, which are required to be known for the exam. How can AQA endorse a book for their course, if it does not contain all the modules in its course?

I'd advise using more than this book as revision material for the course. Maybe online resources, or another book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2013 7:20 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2