Profile for NVR > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Koss Over-Ear Pro DJ100 Headphones - Black
Koss Over-Ear Pro DJ100 Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Going to have to splice the cable.., 6 July 2012
I got this product used from a certain third-party seller through Amazon and expected it to work correctly, since there were no specific remarks on the product. Unfortunately, the cable isn't working properly at the device-side plug, and I'm going to have to splice it to fit a new plug. :(

The last person who used this product also seems to have worn out the cushioning a bit, but that is okay for me I think. I can tell it's been used a lot also by the smell of oft-washed hair on the cups and top band.

edit: When attempting to splice the wire of the product with another wire I had in my house, with the help of my dad, I saw that the copper wires inside the cable are _extremely_ thin, and the solder didn't quite make contact with the cable belonging to the right-hand speaker, so my unit is currently defective, and we'll have to solder a cable directly inside the left cup of the unit if possible.

A word on sound quality, though. When the cable was working properly (after we tied the wires together but before we soldered it) I thought the sound quality is really good, bass comes out well (Pretty Lights sounds wonderful), treble is good as well (Japanese game sound tracks sound quirky as they should). If I had a working version of this product, I'd give it 5 stars at this price. The swiveling cups I also like, as they adjust to your head well. Large ears may not completely fit inside the cups, and if you buy a used pair, the cup cushions may be worn out, as mine are. Mine appear to have been used in a studio where throwing things about is acceptable, as it has quite a few cosmetic marks. I would very highly recommend buying a new unit if possible.

Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black
Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mouse for its price (review after 1 month and 2 weeks of use) (lasted 2 years and 4 months), 9 Jun. 2012
tl;dr: Good mouse, has a little manufacturing kink, big range of DPI settings, weights are optional, and if you wish to use on Linux, maintain access to Windows for config purposes. Also, after nearly two years of use (it still works!) the rubbery coating on the large back surface has started to peel off and disintegrate. Mouse lasted 2 years and 4 months before giving erroneous clicks, bought a new one of the same model.

This mouse feels good to use - and fits my hand well. I bought it because my previous mouse started having problems. The left mouse button started registering false double-clicks.

This mouse does not have a merged body (the buttons are not merged with the back of the body) so I think it will last a little longer. I can see that the mouse isn't really well made, the strip of plastic (made from a different kind of plastic than the rest of the mouse) between the buttons of the mouse and the back part of the body is lifted as if the strip is too big, or it expanded in sunlight, or quality control missed something out. There is a significant difference in height between the back of the body and this strip.
However, the DPI setting is extremely convenient and has a wide range which can be adjusted by the mouse's configuration software.

One small ergonomic kink is that the two small leftmost buttons are a little high to reach. But unlike other mice of the same class, you can feel the difference between the two (the back one has a pattern on it).

The mouse also has weights on it, which can be adjusted by the use of a pen and some intuition. The weights aren't very heavy, so if you are looking for something more professional with very heavy weights, this may not be for you. But the weights currently in the mouse makes it feel very smooth and 'under control' while gaming.

If you wish to use this mouse on Linux, there is currently no software for configuring the mouse's buttons. You will need to have access to at least one Windows (Vista or later, I would think) system in order to configure it. The mouse has an internal memory, and it remembers its settings when you use it on Linux. If anyone has the guts to make Linux software for configuring this mouse, that would be awesome.

edit2: Also, after nearly two years of use (it still works!) the rubbery coating on the large back surface has started to peel off and disintegrate. This falls in line with the assumption that the manufacturing quality of the plastic case is poor, the coating on the mouse buttons are not coming off in the same way.

edit3: After 2 years and 4 months of moderate use (heavy usage in comparison to most end users, though), the buttons were registering single clicks twice. This could have been fixed by buying and soldering on new microswitches, but I opted to simply buy a new mouse of the same model because of the effort and delivery costs that would take and the rubber coating coming off (as mentioned in the last edit). The new mouse didn't come with the manufacturing defects of the previous one. RSI has also not been a problem again throughout my use, so I removed the section about RSI in my original review as I now see it as completely irrelevant.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2012 8:23 PM BST

AQA Physics A A2: Student's Book
AQA Physics A A2: Student's Book
by J Breithaupt

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor standards set by AQA, but the only book 'endorsed' by this course and used by my center. :(, 22 April 2012
Grammatical errors such as "...where m is the of liquid..." (should say mass between the and of) has crept into this book, as has mistakes in the answers at the back for the summary questions. My tutor agreed that they are incorrect. This kind of standard is unacceptable in a course such as this, where the actual standard for pupils writing the exams are relatively higher.

Additionally, there is no section for the optional modules of the course, which are required to be known for the exam. How can AQA endorse a book for their course, if it does not contain all the modules in its course?

I'd advise using more than this book as revision material for the course. Maybe online resources, or another book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2013 7:20 AM BST

Gigabyte GM-M6800 Dual Lens Contoured Advanced Gaming Mouse
Gigabyte GM-M6800 Dual Lens Contoured Advanced Gaming Mouse

3.0 out of 5 stars First impressions (and additional edits), 10 Nov. 2011
tl;dr: Mouse lasted five months until giving issues regarding left mouse button registering clicks twice. Mouse was comfortable to use, and works well with normal applications and gaming.
~~~
This mouse fits my small hand very well. I have slightly long fingers compared to the rest of my hand, but the click area for the two main buttons is wide, and will work for short fingers too.
The scroll wheel is alright. Does not have side-scrolling. The DPI button is a little in the way, I think. I might press it by accident.
There is a layer of rubber on each side of the mouse, where your thumb and two right-most fingers would naturally fit. I think that helps for grip.
The plastic the buttons are made out of is possibly ABS mixed with PET. It picks up sweat easily and doesn't transfer heat from your hand away from it. I don't think it will last very long if it is not taken care of, and will definitely break in transit or in a place like a school.
Otherwise, the mouse seems sturdy and fairly accurate. Decent for the price. Not suitable for left handed people. I'll come back in 4 months to say if the buttons lasted.
This mouse seems solid for any application, not just gaming. I bought it because "gaming" sometimes indicates "not scrap". :)

edit: After some usage, I'm coming back to edit this review... The mouse seems to make creaking noises that indicate the plastic is flimsy or is becoming fatigued quickly. It does this when I shift the weight of my hand over the mouse closer to the middle. As I said, it is ABS, maybe its shape changed a little when the sun shone through my window..?

edit2: Now I've had this mouse for five months. It seems to be collecting dust in some of the nooks where the different pieces of plastic meet. Additionally, sometimes when I click the left mouse button, it clicks twice. This is not a software issue. This could have something to do with the dust, or wear and tear from clicking too much (I play games with it). I have tried to clean it, but once I opened it, I found that the problem was probably with the button modules which were on the circuit board, which did not appear to be cleanable :(
Also, I had to sacrifice the little pads on the bottom to get to the screws, in order to open the device. Lolchina :(
If you open the device, be careful of wires which connect with another part of the circuit, stuck to the top cover of the device. And if you remove the circuits, be very careful of the laser source, and the lense as well. You will need a long and thin screwdriver, because some of the screws are inside deep holes where a thick, tapered-end screwdriver will not fit.

Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 1333 Mhz CL9 Performance Desktop Memory Module

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, and heatsink seems to do its job reasonably, 28 Oct. 2011
Used this for a few weeks now, no problems encountered. I'm only using one stick, in case I ever want to buy another one. Note that if you want to utilize all 4GB, you have to be using a 64-bit operating system. Under Windows 7 32-bit, it only lets you use 3.25 GB - I had to switch to a 64-bit version, which required reinstalling.

edit: I bought another stick of the same model later, so that I could use my motherboard's dual channel facility. It still works great after all of 2 years and 11 months.

Laptop Charger for Samsung 19V 3.15A AD6019 AD 6019 0335C1960 ADP-60ZH Compatible Replacement Laptop Charger Adapter Adaptor (with UK P/cord and 12 month warranty) - "Laptop Power UK" (TM) Branded
Offered by Cambridge Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Also an R60 Plus user, 31 Aug. 2011
I guess I manhandled my laptop a little too much. It tipped over onto its power connector a lot when I left it on my bed sometimes, and over time, the connector wire became dodgy. This replacement did the trick. Served me well for the past few months.

Asus M4A78LT-M Motherboard
Asus M4A78LT-M Motherboard

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price. I think., 29 Aug. 2011
I'm writing this review just after I recieved the motherboard and then tested it for about a day in my newly built computer.

Nothing was wrong with the motherboard, and everything worked alright - the ASUS core unlock didn't work for me (guess I was unlucky with the CPU I bought - Phenom II X2 555). The onboard graphics seems okay, and everything seems to work as it should.

Reading some other reviews, I'm a little worried about how long this product will last. The main thing I'm worried about on the actual board is that the heatsink that cools the Southbridge chip is very, very small, and is hot to the touch, after just a short time running.
The Northbridge heatsink is a good size, and it has the CPU fan blowing onto it, but the Southbridge heatsink has got no air going over it. So I'm worried about how long it will last.

The native audio device built into this board gives off a faint hiss, which can become annoying, especially if you rely on earphones. You might not even notice it on speakers though.

I'll come back in 6 months and say if it lasted.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2011 1:36 AM BST

Xigmatek Asgard ATX Midi Without Power Supply Black
Xigmatek Asgard ATX Midi Without Power Supply Black
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Tool-less is good, but a "cheap" case, if you know what I mean., 24 Aug. 2011
I bought this case for its price, and I think it's probably the best I could find in the price range. The things I like best is that it has a fan in the front, and that it is tool-less. Style was not an attribute I considered when choosing a case.

The cheapie side of this case becomes evident when trying to fit the motherboard. Not all of the screws supplied with the motherboard, that are SUPPOSED to fit with the copper mounts, fit. It's like their manufacturing process wasn't precise. I had to basically run a quality control test to see which ones fitted. In other places, I had to be quite stubborn with the screws, as mentioned before in another review. One more thing is that the metal is slightly bendy, a little like a wobble board.

One more thing I've noticed is that the USB and Audio ports in the front panel are a little dodgy. When my wireless mouse receiver is plugged into the left port, the headphone jack gives a very loud static depending on whether I'm using my mouse or not (I think it has to do with the status LED in the receiver). Other USB devices like flash drives give off much less static. I haven't tested the mic port.
The right USB port is a little dodgy, and I sometimes have to wiggle the device that's plugged in there to get it to work.

It's very strange to me that something like this would be malfunctioning, because it seems like such a generic feature that cases of only £5 or so more expensive get right.

Logitech OEM S150 2.0 Speaker System - Black
Logitech OEM S150 2.0 Speaker System - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality sound and no volume control, 31 May 2011
These speakers work.

But the volume control feeds back to the operating system's main volume control, so if you sit close to the speakers, it's really loud, and there is no analogue sound control to control what volume you want precisely. In other words, the speakers have no volume control of their own (despite the buttons), and rely on the operating system to tell it what volume to produce sound at.

Being USB, the sound card for this device is included inside the speakers, and because of the price, this sound card is quite poor. For every little sound that occurs, there is a medium-toned hiss that accompanies it. This is especially annoying when FPS gaming, as the sounds of you walking will actually be softer than the hiss.
Maybe it will be good for VoIP calls and such things.

Belkin TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter - FM transmitter
Belkin TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter - FM transmitter

4.0 out of 5 stars Serves its purpose well, 14 Jan. 2010
Doesn't have a great transmitting range (about 4 feet in my room and it dies), but that could be my radio or the clogged FM spectrum of this area. Could do with an antenna (I'm having to hold it or hold my radio antenna with my hand for clearer sound) Could also do with some stats on power usage so I know if it's worth buying an adapter :)

Otherwise, it's awesome! I can use my radio as a speaker for my laptop now!! :D

Oh, and I'd really appreciate if there was USB power on this thing. Even if it was a USB device, and not an audio jack device. Batteries are really annoying and carrying ANOTHER adapter around with your laptop is just impractical. I would buy another one if there was a small one with USB power. The only model I found seemed a bit bulky.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3