Profile for Gus > Reviews

Content by Gus

Gus "Gus" (Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Picnic Backpack, 4 Person
Picnic Backpack, 4 Person

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 1 Oct. 2008
I bought this in June but with such an awful summer this year didn't get to use it until September. First outing the corkscrew snapped on the very first bottle of wine - luckily I had pliers to remove it and borrowed another one. Got home and the zip attaching the two bags together came apart, making it now impossible to join them. Fortunately I only paid £20 as it was on offer at the time, but this still seems pretty expensive for what now seems to have been a disposable item, although of course it is still useable and not worth the fuss of returning it - any replacement is unlikely to be of better quality.

A Good Year [DVD] [2006]
A Good Year [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe
Offered by Discs4all

1.0 out of 5 stars Was Hugh Grant busy that week??, 22 May 2007
This review is from: A Good Year [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I am not a great fan of Russell Crowe but was converted (or thought I was) by "The Insider" in which he proved he can act. This goes a long way to undoing that good. Crowe's accent is, like his performance, wooden. But to be fair, the screenplay and direction is bloody awful as well. This movie is lazy, contrived and pointless - what kind of medication Ridley Scott was on I don't know,

From Here, You Can't See Paris
From Here, You Can't See Paris
by Michael Sanders

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 12 Aug. 2006
I am interested in the region and would like to like this book. However, unputdownable it isn't, more like unpickuppable for me. A third of the way in and at last we are talking about the restaurant - until now we have some pedantic and contrived descriptions that irritate rather than entrance - for me anyway (I see I am in a minority). This seems to be an American style, I have the same reaction to Frances Mayles. Quite simply, there is better writing available than this patronising and superficial account.

Schott's Food and Drink Miscellany
Schott's Food and Drink Miscellany
by Ben Schott

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and rather superficial, 19 Mar. 2004
I did read it all so it can't be that bad, but this book is written by a trivia fetishist and not a real foodie. Some interesting stuff but there is so much more that could be included and a fair bit that was frankly boring. One for the loo rather than the kitchen!

Spanish Lessons: Beginning a New Life in Spain
Spanish Lessons: Beginning a New Life in Spain
by Derek Lambert

1.0 out of 5 stars Self-congratulatory, smug, and lazy., 9 Nov. 2000
Like most people I dream about buying my own property overseas and like most people I may never actually get any closer to it than reading about it. I will read almost anything in this genre, even the sickly sweet Frances Mayle (although I couldn't finish the sequel, that was too much)but this one really is the most boring and self congratulatory rubbish I've picked up - Frances you come a close second!
I can't help feeling that Derek Lambert knocked this off in a spare afternoon after too much Sangria - the characters are all so contrived and Lambert's smugness shines through every chapter. There is a point where laid back turns into lazy and this book passes that point, in my view.
Go for the fruitier options - Snowball Oranges or Driving Over Lemons - the titles may be naff but they are much more honest and give a better thrill than this overpolished piece.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2014 1:06 PM GMT