Profile for Gus > Reviews

Content by Gus

Gus "Gus" (Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Discoball® 2200 LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Zoomable Zoom 5 Modes Flashlight Torch Lamp LED torch +18650 Battery & 2 chargers
Offered by Discoball

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, I guess!, 21 Sept. 2015
Great while it lasted - but after 6 months it just died on my without any reason and now it is a piece of worthless junk.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, so nobody really needs this, but ...., 15 Mar. 2015
I am a sucker for gadgets and this is one of the best I have encountered in recent years. I couldn't get the app to work on my Galaxy S5 to be honest, but bluetooth pairing was a doddle nevertheless and it kicks out surprisingly good sound - loud and clear.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2015 12:34 PM GMT

meZmory "Clip" 8GB USB 2.0 Memory Stick with Carabiner for Keyring. Metal, Plastic Mini Flash Drive Waterproof & Shockproof | Black
Offered by Tech-Surfer United Kingdom (VAT included)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very slow delivery and so-so quality, 2 Oct. 2014
Item described as sold by Tech Surfer UK but actually supplied from Germany. Item was not despatched until more than a week from ordering and took another week to arrive - I get better service from HongKong. None of this was communicated prior to ordering and no apologies for it presumably being out of stock. The quality is not bad for the price but not as good as the other reviews led me to expect - the actual USB part is flimsy and even the chunky metal clasp had a poor fit in use. I don't often bother with reviews and would not go so far as seeking a refund, but this is not the quality of service I expect from an Amazon reseller and I would not use them again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2014 10:28 AM BST

MiniSun 4w LED BC B22 Golfball Energy Saving Long Life Light Bulb - 6500K Cool White/Daylight
Offered by The Light Factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and reliable, 2 Oct. 2014
Brilliant (literally). I have one of these as an outside light that I can leave on all evening without worrying about the cost. The light is a clear white and it looks to all intents and purposes as bright as a 100w incandescent bulb. In use for some months now and I only got round to writing this review when I decided to order some more.

Facebook For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
Facebook For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
by Leah Pearlman

2.0 out of 5 stars An impossible task, but with deeper flaws, 23 Jan. 2013
Trying to write a published tome on a piece of software that is updated so frequently that the book is out of date before it is even published is just stupid. While to some extent the same could be said of all books on software, with non web based systems we at least get to choose whether and when to update to newer versions (I still use WinXP on several machines out of preference) but with web based software you get the updates whether you want them or not. I am not a fan of Facebook, but it is something that most of us encounter from time to time whether we like it or not so I thought I would take a look at this book.

While the basic concepts are sound, the practical implementation of almost everything described in the book has changed to the point that the book actually slows understanding of how to customise Facebook rather than accelerate it. And anyone who wants to undertake customisation is already likely to know the basic concepts anyway, so again the book seems rather pointless.

It is not helped by the fact that the book is authored by fully paid up members of the Facebook fan club who obviously think that FB is "Awesome". Even though I am not a fan, I do recognise its value to others and believe that Facebook itself, its users, and the publishers of the Dummies series all deserve much better than this. It is also imperative that while the concepts might be suitable for a book, any instructions need to reside online where they can be constantly updated - after all, that is where readers will be following them!

A Year in the Village of Eternity
A Year in the Village of Eternity
by Tracey Lawson

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 19 Sept. 2012
I'd like to be more positive, because I actually quite liked the author's style, what little there was of it - much less gushing than Frances Mayes who makes me feel like I have overindulged on the tiramisu. I also enjoyed the use of Italian phrases in contrast to one of the other reviewers, but at times there are literally only a few pages of narrative between the recipes and when you analyse it, very little of substance in either however well it is written.

Oh and the recipes. I thought the earlier reviewer was joking when referring to a recipe for salad with olive oil and vinegar but there are actually two! Page 23 Classic Campomelano dressed salad ingredients: handful of green salad leaves; extra virgin olive oil; white wine vinegar, salt. Page 124 Insalata semplice ingredients: One romana lettuce or another kind of green leaf lettuce; extra virgin olive oil; white wine vinegar; salt. Not even a little black pepper in variation? Boy this must have taken ages to research and thank heavens they don't eat beans on toast in Camopodimele because otherwise no doubt that would be there as well.

Intel Reader - Mobile Device that Reads Print Aloud
Intel Reader - Mobile Device that Reads Print Aloud

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the grumblers, 19 Sept. 2012
OK so it is not perfect but a brilliant attempt nonetheless. The reading voice is as natural as I have heard from a Text to Speech machine and there are some nice nuances, such as reading "nine pounds and five pence" when it encounters £9.05 written on the page. Of course it performs best with normal text such as in a book and can be thrown by non-standard formatting, but that is only to be expected. This is an invaluable device for reading the cooking instructions on ready meals etc and is also really useful for non visually impaired people who have other reading difficulties such as dyslexia, allowing them to read and hear the words at the same time, each word highlighted as it is spoken.

Sure, I would like the voice to be even more natural and the accuracy to be even better, but at this price range and for something here and now this is hard to beat, especially if you shop around (Sight and Sound) when you can buy it for half the Amazon price and with much easier VAT recoupment.

LG 32LD490 32-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LCD Internet TV with Freeview HD
LG 32LD490 32-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LCD Internet TV with Freeview HD

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound advice but not from LG support, 24 Mar. 2011
Overall very pleased with the specs for the money and it was the HD tuner that swung me on this over the equivalent Samsung. However, couldn't figure out how to get sound from PC into the machine. The manual shows what looks like a phono plug going into the "RGB/DVI Audio" socket at the rear but it was clearly not a phono socket and was unrecogniseable. I emailed LG and got the following reply: "You need to purchase RGB/DVI audio cable connecting pc or dtv audio to your tv. You should be able to get this cable from amazon or ebay."

Entering the term "RGB/DVI Audio Cable" into Amazon returns 35 hits, none of which help, while Ebay returns no hits. In fact, however, (after an hours trawling on the net) the answer is amazingly easy - it is simply a 3.5mm jackplug socket (headphone type). I tried to tell them by reply but could not do this without entering my life history all over again so decided to post the answer here - part grumble but mostly helpful advice to others - my son spent 4 days without sound from his PC until I took the time to sort this out for him.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2011 12:43 PM BST

Venetian Dreaming: Finding a Foothold in an Enchanted City
Venetian Dreaming: Finding a Foothold in an Enchanted City
by Paula Weideger

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere in the middle, 2 Mar. 2011
How much you enjoy this book rather depends upon where you are coming from. It is inclined to be a little smug and the author obviously moves in rather different circles than most of us - but on the other hand isn't that why we read this type of book in the first place? Sure, there are some occasions in the book when I wince at her approach to life but not enough to stop reading. Some of the "excruciating details" I found rather fascinating and there is no doubting the passion that Weideger brings to her book. If you are looking for tourist information then look elsewhere, but if you might be interested in a quirky account of living in an historic and beautiful city then read this. At least it doesn't suffer from the over the syrupy creative writing style of some other American writers who have spent rather too long under the Tuscan Sun!

Incidentally, am I alone in thinking there is more than a passing resemblance between the author and Gene Wilder as evidenced by the cover photo?

Detour de France: An Englishman in Search of a Continental Education
Detour de France: An Englishman in Search of a Continental Education
by Michael Simkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Trouser wipingly funny?, 27 Sept. 2010
Or so we are led to believe Stephen Fry describes this book. Unfamiliar as I am with the phrase I (perhaps mistakenly) took this as a positive comment, but then I have no idea what causes Mr Fry to wipe his trousers nor how often (or, indeed, how) he undertakes this curious exercise. As for the book, well, despite sharing the author's love of M. Hulot's holiday I found this a rather tedious affair and finally gave up part way through the cricket match. Never a game I have warmed to (especially since bowled in the googlies as a teenager) perhaps this is a book that should only be read by cricket lovers.

Page: 1 | 2