Profile for mazzeratee > Reviews

Jacques Brel Une Vie
by Olivier Todd
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 27 Jun 2014
I wanted to find out more about Jacques Brel, and this book certainly provides information - in fact minute detail - more than you ever wanted to know really!

My edition, sent from a French bookseller and obviously very second hand, has no illustrations or photos in it, which I found quite amazing for a biography. I waded through half of it and scanned the rest, but I can't recommend it. However, it did provide the words to some of Brel's songs - he was a word master, and they are pure poetry. The songs are the thing - just listen to them and marvel! Forever my favourite chanteur.

FitFlop Lulu Canvas Womens Casual Sandals French Navy 6.0
FitFlop Lulu Canvas Womens Casual Sandals French Navy 6.0
Offered by SOLETRADER
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Utter comfort, 27 Jun 2014
Hurrah for FitFlops! Everyone should own at least one pair. They fully support my feet just where I need it and I can wear them all day without feeling the least bit of discomfort. As I suffer from metatarsalgia I have problems with many shoes, but these are a revelation. They sort of form to suit your individual foot. I wore them all day in London and walked quite a distance - they are super for going about town or even moderate semi-rural walks as long as the ground is reasonably even.
I'm not sure how smart the canvas will look after some more hard wear, but it will be reasonable washable, so I am hopeful. I will certainly want to buy some leather ones another year, and there are some super styles available.
Thoroughly recommended!

Bosmere K182 Soil Test Kit
Bosmere K182 Soil Test Kit
Offered by MMP Living
Price: 20.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and fun to use., 29 Mar 2014
This inexpensive kit allows gardeners to test their soil for ph (acid/alkaline soil) Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium, all of which are key elements needed by plants for healthy growth. The instructions are clear and simple to follow, you take some garden soil, add water, shake it up, leave to settle, draw off a measured quantity of liquid, add two compounds, shake, and then compare the colour of the liquid with colour charts in the instruction booklet to determine what sort of soil it is and record results.

My test, carried out over several areas of our garden, revealed that we have poor soil, devoid of much nutrient and rather alkaline. Therefore I need to feed it with fertiliser and try to up the acidity, since many plants like acid conditions. Fun to use, one feels like a true scientist! Comes in a great pack, very compact, very easy to store, with sufficient chemicals for a large no. of tests.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 11:28 PM BST

Infiniment: 40 Chansons (remastered - high definition)
Infiniment: 40 Chansons (remastered - high definition)
Price: 12.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinitely brilliant, 16 Jan 2014
Jacques Brel is one of my all time favourite singers, and this re-mastered collection of 40 of some of his best known songs certainly hits the spot. I love his enthusiasm, his brilliance with words, his passion. A true poet, his feelings about his own country, about life and death, class, youth and old age, and above all love, are as fresh today as when he wrote these songs over 40 years ago. A very comprehensive, though not exhaustive double album, of excellent quality. He died too early, but thank goodness we still have his legacy. What a pity that so few people in this country know this very fine artist.

Pianoworks Christmas: 24 favourite carols and songs for the festive season
Pianoworks Christmas: 24 favourite carols and songs for the festive season
by Janet Bullard
Price: 7.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Festive favourites, 16 Jan 2014
This is a collection of very simple piano harmonisations of some well known carols and Christmas songs suitable for Grade 1/2 pupil standard, either for solo playing or as accompaniment for singers. Ideal for encouraging pupils of any age, brilliant for simple sight reading exercises, fun to play. All the words are given, plus interesting notes at the foot of each page about the origin of each carol or song. No complicated keys, very clearly printed.

Highly recommended.

Je t'aime  la Folie
Je t'aime la Folie
by Michael Wright
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Love at last in rural France., 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Je t'aime la Folie (Paperback)
I very much enjoyed this book. It is brilliantly written, witty, sincere, frank, with a seemingly endless bank of anecdotes from Michael Wright's daily life on his smallholding in rural France, which are at times hilarious. He has a wonderful gift for being able to make the most, as a writer, of every situation in which he finds himself, at the same time making his descriptions and narrative lively and amusing. He's such an interesting man, with so many interests and talents, and so likeable. I'd love to meet him.

I did get a bit bored with him in the early part of the book always going on about his great frustration at not meeting his soulmate, but he did in the end, so he, and we, got over that! And he writes so eloquently about wonderful Alice - I sighed with envy! I imagine she must have approved the book before it went to press! A splendid love story, but never too cheesy or too personal - a great "double entendre" title too.

My husband enjoyed the book thoroughly too, so it's not just for women. We both felt it was better than the first in the series "C'est la Folie", although that was also delightful.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves France, loves life, loves love.

The River of Lost Footsteps: A Personal History of Burma
The River of Lost Footsteps: A Personal History of Burma
by Thant Myint-U
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and enriching., 11 Mar 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed sections of this book and found it very informative. However, I did not read it all, and concentrated particularly on the history of the country from the deposition of the last king, Thibaw, by the British in 1886, to the present day. As I visited Burma last month as a tourist, I felt it was important to understand how it had arrived at its present state. From this point of view the book was an ideal companion for my visit. Thant Myint-U writes a vivid and heartfelt account of his country's problems, suggesting that progress will be made only if Burma opens up, allows tourism to develop, is not subject to further hard line sanctions, but accepts outside influence and help. As this book was first published some five years ago, he hopefully feels that things are moving in the right direction, though the future is by no means certain. Reading this book gave me a deeper appreciation of Burma and enriched my visit.

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Corsica
DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Corsica
by Richard Abram
Price: 6.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for tourists, 5 Dec 2012
I really like the way this guide is set out. Light to carry, clear, concise, with ample illustrations and photos and well defined sections. Just the job for those of us who want a good, fairly detailed, but not overburdening guide enabling us to identify which areas will be of most interest for, say, a two week stay. Useful fold-out maps front and back giving the main routes, (but not a large enough scale for use by walkers or cyclists). "Top ten" lists all the main attractions of each area, under headings: e.g. "Top ten markets", "Top ten Ultimate views"with short paragraphs on each, plus suggested itineraries for days out. A few hotels and restaurant suggestions, though I would not necessarily choose accommodation from the book.

On Canaan's Side
On Canaan's Side
by Sebastian Barry
Price: 3.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant writing and very moving, 7 May 2012
This review is from: On Canaan's Side (Paperback)
The best book I have read for some time.

Barry tells the story of Lilly Dunne from her childhood in Ireland to the final days of her old age in America with insight and intimacy. Her joys, thoughts and sorrows are related in a beautiful lyrical prose which is sheer poetry. We are shown how extraordinary an ordinary "little" life really is, and the book reflects the depths and heights of existence, within which we are all caught.

The story, told by Lilly herself with intimate frankness and feeling, unfolds against the wider events of history, chronicling the wars and struggles of the twentieth century, civil rights, Vietnam and its traumatic aftermath. It encompasses many events, but it is the way that Lilly draws us in, so that we are fully engaged, which is so remarkable. We never lose its Irish character, but its appeal is universal.

Perhaps there is a slight weakness in the plot towards the end,(I won't spoil the book by revealing where), but by then I didn't care too much. Lilly is a memorable character, and this is a book to relish.