Profile for Celia Heritage > Reviews

Tracing Your Ancestors Through Death Records: A Guide for Family Historians
Tracing Your Ancestors Through Death Records: A Guide for Family Historians
by Celia Heritage

5.0 out of 5 stars Find Out So Much More Using Death Records!, 22 April 2013
I am the author of Tracing Your Ancestors Through Death Records and I hope that reading my book will make you as passionate about this subject as I am!

There is nothing morbid about using death records; their fascination lies in the fact that they tell us so much more about our ancestors and what they were really like than birth, marriage and census records. By using a combination of death certificates, burial entries, inquest records and obituaries plus wills, inventories, gravestones and other less familiar death records I have built up an amazingly detailed picture of many of my own ancestors and the book will show you how to do the same. I also show you how to interpret causes of death on certificates and to be alert to possible connections with an ancestor's death and the job he did, while considering the side effects of a premature death and infant deaths on the family as a whole. Some records will be familiar to you but some less so and for each I show you how to get the most from them.The book is packed with detailed information but also a generous helping of case studies to illustrate the records and how to use them.

Although I was immensely pleased that my book received excellent reviews in the family history magazines, some of my most pleasing comments have come from unofficial sources; firstly the friend who, until now, has not been particularly interested in family history at all. She casually picked up my book one day and started reading it. 'This looks really interesting Celia! I must get a copy! ' While at the other end of the scale a student of mine who is passionate about family history messaged me to say that she had almost missed her stop on the train because she was so engrossed in the my book! I could not want for better compliments than these and I hope you enjoy the book as much as they did.

For more information about the book and author and a glimpse into the subjects covered see my author's blog [...]