Profile for Annalise > Reviews

The Memory Garden
The Memory Garden
by Rachel Hore

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight, 25 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Memory Garden (Paperback)
I've been meaning to put up my review for this terrific novel for ages now, but have finally been sparked into doing so my seeing some of the utterly mean-spirited reviews some 'reviewers' have posted. This book is quite simply a delight, elegantly written, evocative, atmospheric and engaging; and very romantic indeed. I live in Cornwall and know the area in which it is set very well: the author's descriptions are spot-on, and I love the way she interweaves the two stories. Highly recommended; and The Glass Painter's Daughter looks enthralling. I shall be buying that as soon as it is released.

The Intruders
The Intruders
by Michael Marshall
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously creepy, 16 May 2008
This review is from: The Intruders (Paperback)
If you like your thrillers traditional - murder, murder, murder: solution - then this is not for you. But if you like to be teased and taken by surprise, it's a breath of fresh air. Weird, creepy and deeply atmospheric. Thoroughly recommended.

The Servants
The Servants
by M. M. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars An exquisite book, in all ways, 16 April 2008
This review is from: The Servants (Hardcover)
This is a clever, subtle, beautiful little book, somewhat reminiscent of THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT TIME, in that it's voiced by an engaging young protagonist and hides a dark, surreal and rather disturbing secret world inside what seems to be, very recognizably, our own. I won't spoil the surprise (which creeps up on you throughout the story) but must say I found it both haunting and touching, and it also made me laugh out loud from time to time. I recommend it for readers of any age. It's also a very beautifully packaged book, with head and tail bands, a ribbon and a classy cover, so it makes a lovely gift - and it's short, too, and SUCH an easy read.

Page: 1 | 2