Profile for Annalise > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
THE LAST HERO
THE LAST HERO

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Mary Renault, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: THE LAST HERO (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book. I've been a fan of historical fiction about the ancient world ever since reading Mary Renault's Theseus books when I was in my teens and ever since then I've sought to replicate the experience, without much luck. Annabel Lyon's THE GOLDEN MEAN came close, but Hilary Green's THE LAST HERO could almost have been written by Renault herself, it feels so authentic, so meticulously researched and so tightly written. I thoroughly recommend it.

Gorilla Sports Vinyl Hand Weights 2 x 2Kg
Gorilla Sports Vinyl Hand Weights 2 x 2Kg
Offered by Gorilla Sports UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 28 May 2012
Arrived a day after I ordered them, comfortable to grip, compact and therefore easy to move with, these weights are terrific and the best value for money on the net.

Women's Shake Weight Dumbell by New Image
Women's Shake Weight Dumbell by New Image
Offered by Chenone

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 28 May 2012
Poorly made, not conforming to the photo on the packet, my Shake Weight does not shake. You can just about get a wobble out of it if you use all your strength, but none of the movement it suggests - it is essentially inert - you might as well shake a stick. Rubbish.

A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R. R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars The story moves on, and how!, 16 Mar 2012
After A FEAST FOR CROWS, which was the much poorer for the absence of Tyrion and Daenerys (though I was glad to have the next installment even without them at the time) how fantastic to be back in the company of my favourite characters and to feel the whole magnificent panorama taking shape before me. There's real forward movement in this book (ok, this first half of the book -- I see it's had to be split in 2 it in paperback as it was for STORM) as Daenerys learns how to be a queen, forces mass at the Wall, and Tyrion is (trying to avoid spoiler) no longer languishing in his cell in King's Landing. Huge action, great forces at work, and a real sense of the world moving towards crisis. This is such a treat: there's no richer tapestry in any other work of fiction I can think of at the moment in any field.

The Somnambulist
The Somnambulist
by Essie Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely piece of modern Gothic, 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Somnambulist (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed Essie Fox's beautifully written Victorian novel. Her research is excellent, but doesn't get in the way of a well-told story. The tone is as dreamy and mesmerising as the title would lead you to expect, and the characters are all well drawn. Phoebe is delightful as the central character and the mysteries that unravel as the story proceeds make you turn the pages quicker all the time.

A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R. R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the 2nd part of Volume 5: exactly what it says on the tin!, 15 Mar 2012
Come on, people, it's hardly fair to rate the book 1* when the fault doesn't lie with the author, on whom negative reviews fall, but with your own misreading of the book's description on the site and the mail-out. Did you really, honestly think George RR Martin had suddenly produced another volume in 8 months after slaving for 8 years over the last installment? OK, blame Amazon for not making it clearer, but the information is there if you could be bothered to look for it. For what it's worth, the book itself -- PART TWO of A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, split into 2 for the paperback just as A STORM OF SWORDS was -- is magnificent, a fabulously dramatic escalation of this wonderful epic.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2012 10:53 PM GMT

The Babylon Rite
The Babylon Rite
by Tom Knox

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wild ride!, 16 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Babylon Rite (Paperback)
This is Tom Knox's best thriller so far, I think. I knew nothing about the terrifying Moche culture of Peru - to be perfectly truthful, I'd never heard of them until I read this book. It's one of the things that I enjoy about Tom Knox's novels - despite the fantastically page-turning stories and the truly lurid murders at the heart of each one, I learn things about the world - its history, archaeology, rituals, cultures and ancient civilisations - that I nev knew before. He's really brilliant at digging up the most incredibly obscure but fascinating details and linking them together within a really entertaining story. This one travels from Scotland to Peru via lots of ancient Templar-associated sites. My favourite part is when the characters travel through South America, which I have never visited, but it is clear that the author has - his descriptions of poor rural villages and the weird rituals going on in the markets is riveting. You can tell he's travelled to these places and recorded genuine experiences, because the details ring true and are extremely vivid. This is never going to win literary awards, but it's the perfect armchair or holiday read - it'll sweep you away all over the world and leave you breathless and a little horrified. Just what I like.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 8:09 PM BST

Pantheon
Pantheon
by Sam Bourne

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight into a darker side of World War II, 16 Feb 2012
This review is from: Pantheon (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed PANTHEON, and have read all of Sam Bourne's other thrillers. This was a more serious novel than the previous four, which are more in the Dan Brown mode, and it is fully historical. The research that has gone into it is amazing: I had never heard anything about the Yale evacuation of children from Britain's intellectual elite, and the philosophy behind the offer, and the ulterior motives for it are really chilling. I won't say more for fear of spoiling the plot, but it's really made me see what was going on behind the scenes in a different light. In fact, knowing this is all true, it really makes you think about everything you hear on the news or in parliament in a different light, since there are so many factors in play that we the public know absolutely nothing about. That's what a good conspiracy theory novel should do: make you look more closely at the world around you, and that's what PANTHEON did for me. Highly recommended.

StilGut UltraSlim Case Cover with Smart-Cover Function Support and Stand for Apple iPad 2 Wifi & 3G - White
Offered by StilGut

5.0 out of 5 stars superb item, 23 Aug 2011
I looked long and hard at iPad cases that would double up as stands before shelling out on the StilGut - not cheap - at the best part of £50 - but after hearing friends complain about the £20 and £30 cases they had bought being flimsy and unsatisfactory I decided to bite the bullet. I am so glad that I did - it's an elegant item, beautifully engineered to fit perfectly, made from good quality leather, and is sturdy as hell. Bravo, StilGut! A fine piece of functional design.

The Chosen One
The Chosen One
by Sam Bourne

4.0 out of 5 stars What a great page-turner, 11 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Chosen One (Paperback)
This is a real one-sitting read, not just for me, but for the whole family. The book has been read by four of us in the space of a week, which says it all! I love Maggie Costello - she's a really feisty lady, and I like the way her life has moved on since The Last Testament. But what we all enjoyed most about The Chosen One was getting what felt like a really authentic insight into the workings of the White House and US politics, the conspiracies and the behind the scenes handling by all sorts of agencies that you know must go on all the time, but rarely get a glimpse of. A glimpse into a hidden world of power. The author is apparantly a journalist who used to work in Washington, so you get the sense he knows what he's talking about. I didn't feel let down by the ending at all, I thought it was neat and absolutely believable, and really makes you(don't read this if you don't want the story spoilt)wonder if people really do get pushed into these top positions by interest groups, and whether previous presidents have been 'placed' like this. Fascinating.

Page: 1 | 2