Profile for NENK > Reviews

The Case of the Exploding Loo
The Case of the Exploding Loo
by Rachel Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars A case of wonderful wit, 9 Jun. 2014
I read The Case of the Exploding Loo to my daughter (11) and my son (7) and we all enjoyed it HUGELY. I was laughing so much while I was reading it that a few times I had to stop and go back because my children couldn't understand a word I'd said!

The book is clever, witty and inventive with memorable and loveable characters. The whole story is fresh and original as well as incredibly good fun.

It's a massive achievement to write a book that can be enjoyed equally by such a wide age range (from seven years to forty[something]). I recommend this book without reservation and I am already looking forward to the next!

Daisy and the Trouble with Coconuts (Daisy Fiction)
Daisy and the Trouble with Coconuts (Daisy Fiction)
by Kes Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly observed series, 24 Oct. 2013
I have been reading this series to my six-year-old son and we have been enjoying it hugely. Daisy is a wonderful character -- opinionated but not obnoxious -- and enormously funny. The observations of how a typical six-year-old thinks and acts are absolutely spot on. This was also the series that inspired my son read on his own (he read Daisy and the Trouble with Life in about a day!) and so for that reason alone I will always be grateful to Kes Gray. A great series of books.

02 Flying High (Magic Trix)
02 Flying High (Magic Trix)

5.0 out of 5 stars More magical fun!, 24 Oct. 2013
This is such a great series. Sara Grant consistently produces well-written, beautifully plotted, hugely enjoyable stories. We love these books in our house!

01 The Witching Hour (Magic Trix)
01 The Witching Hour (Magic Trix)

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical adventure, 24 Oct. 2013
This is an absolutely lovely start to this magic-themed series. Sara Grant's style is warm, lively and funny. Her writing is pitch perfect for the age group and the story is extremely well plotted. My daughter read this in one sitting! An immensely enjoyable read.

Very Little Red Riding Hood
Very Little Red Riding Hood
by Teresa Heapy

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Little is going to be VERY BIG, 11 Oct. 2013
Teresa Heapy has created a witty, inventive, original interpretation of the traditional fairy tale, Little Red Riding Hood. Our heroine is a small child with a BIG personality. Teresa Heapy captures the insistent, confident and (unconsciously) hilarious voice of the very young perfectly. Very Little will delight both children and parents as she bosses 'Foxie' (aka the wolf) and her long-suffering grandmother around through the pages of this delightful story. Accompanied by lovely, lively illustrations by Sue Heap, this is a fantastic start to what I'm sure will be a very successful series. Teresa Heapy is a wonderfully talented writer and I recommend this lovely, funny book wholeheartedly.

Half Lives
Half Lives

5.0 out of 5 stars Half Lives -- entirely superb, 7 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Half Lives (Paperback)
HALF LIVES is gripping, moving, witty, heart-warming and thought-provoking. It is also a technical tour de force. Sara Grant pulls off a hugely ambitious storytelling structure with apparent ease. I have so much admiration for this book -- the story it tells and the way it's told. I wholeheartedly recommend HALF LIVES -- it's an exciting, engaging and poignant read.

Look Back And Laugh
Look Back And Laugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic track!, 15 May 2012
This review is from: Look Back And Laugh (MP3 Download)
Assumed it was an original from the 1960s and couldn't understand why I hadn't heard such an obvious classic before until I discovered it is a new release. Just brilliant. Can't wait to hear more from her.

Poetry by Heart: A Child's Book of Poems to Remember
Poetry by Heart: A Child's Book of Poems to Remember
by Andrew Motion

5.0 out of 5 stars Best anthology of children's poetry I've come across, 21 Mar. 2012
This is hands down the best anthology for children I have come across. There is plenty of contrast here -- the light, the dark, the thoughtful -- and some great introductions to adult poets too. A truly thoughtful and considered selection which will do more to engender a love of poetry in children than any other anthology I have read.

The Calling Card Script: A Writer's Toolbox for Screen, Stage and Radio
The Calling Card Script: A Writer's Toolbox for Screen, Stage and Radio
by Paul Ashton

5.0 out of 5 stars Informed and generous advice, 8 Mar. 2012
This is an informed, intelligent and enjoyable discussion of scriptwriting that has helpful insights and advice on every page. The author is someone who is steeped in experience of both writing and reading scripts. What writers can forget is that a good writer must also be a good reader. The ability to appreciate what makes a script stand out and how it achieves what it has set out to do is firmly rooted in sensitive and analytical reading. Paul Aston's vast experience garnered as the Development Producer for the BBC's Writersroom, and his tremendous generosity of spirit to both new and more established writers, shines out throughout the book. This is a text that is useful to both the beginning writer and to those who are more experienced. If you are serious about developing your writing craft -- buy it!

Two Monsters
Two Monsters
by David McKee

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight, 17 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Two Monsters (Paperback)
A wonderfully funny, keenly observed picture-book text with an important but subtle message (which is given without patronising the reader).

I don't understand the concerns of some of the other reviewers -- they seem to underestimate the ability of children to differentiate between a 'story' and 'instruction'. The book is about the characters overcoming ignorance and being rewarded with friendship and understanding in return -- with some pure, hilarious silliness along the way.

It's a wonderful book which I heartily recommend.