Profile for Hanimann Helen > Reviews

Hexa-Go-Go: English Paper Piecing 16 Quilt Projects
Hexa-Go-Go: English Paper Piecing 16 Quilt Projects
by Tacha Bruecher

4.0 out of 5 stars Hexa go-go, 6 Aug. 2012
Hexa go-go fits right into what is going on in the quilting world. It's all about hexagons, but boy does Tacha show you that there is more to hexagons than just the tried and tested Grandmother's Flower Garden! It's certainly a very modern take on an age-old technique and fits right in with the whole slow movement ideas that are catching on everywhere. As Tacha quite rightly says: "Hexagons are wonderfully portable - quilting's answer to knitting". They are also excellent for using up small scraps!

The book is well written, with very clear instructions which would be perfect for beginners and the photography is great, and has a bit of a hippy, ethno-chic look to it.

My favourite pieces in the book were the modern take on Grandmother's Flower Garden, the Snowflakes patterns and the Giant Star Pillow. I really hope that we'll see a volume two of this, branching out into other shapes, because from what I can see, there's a big gap in the market in that area!

Great job Tacha!!

Sweetwater's Simple Home: Sew Something Handmade for Every Room, 35 Projects
Sweetwater's Simple Home: Sew Something Handmade for Every Room, 35 Projects
by Lisa Burnett

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweetwater's Simple Home - lovely!, 11 Jun. 2012
I've been sitting with a cup of coffee this morning and soaking up all the treats in this lovely, lovely book. Actually, even though the projects are all fairly straightforward it's one of the nicest quilting books I've looked at in a long while and the photos are fabulous. This is of course helped by the utterly gorgeous fabric that the projects have been made up in - Pure (one of my favourite lines ever), Authentic and Make Life from Sweetwater and Simple Abundance by Bonnie and Camille among others - all of which have the effect of making this incredible eye candy. I've been feeling a lot of 'why haven't I ever got round to making one of those?' All in all it's made me feel like I'm itching to get down to some of the projects.

My favourites were the scalloped placemats, the lampshade, the work chair slipcover, tray liner and some of the bags. All of these are straightforward enough for any beginner, but even for someone whose been sewing as long as I have they would make great additions to brighten up the home.

Zakka Style: 24 Projects Stitched with Ease to Give, Use & Enjoy (Design Collective)
by Rashida Coleman-Hale

4.0 out of 5 stars Zakka Style, 23 May 2012

I'm sure there can't be any quilters out there who haven't come across the latest hottest quilt trend. So do you Zakka? If not, what are you waiting for? - the rest of the quilting world seems to be Zakkaing!! In Japanese Zakka means 'miscellaneous goods or sundries', but has come to mean a style that has a simple charm and uniqueness, and where items are handmade and useful, yet pleasing to the eye.

Zakka Style by Rashida Coleman-Hale is a beautiful book. It contains 24 projects by different quilters from all over the world, most of which are made in linen accented with pretty, quirky, modern cottons. The projects vary from easy and suitable for beginner sewers (pencil case, mug rug, block quilt or hand warmers) to much more difficult items where some experience would probably be required (zip organizer, stem messenger bag, sewing kit). The layout is attractive and the instructions are clearly presented. I can imagine that a lot of these projects would be fabulous in linen with accents of Liberty tana lawn.

Zakka is certainly taking the world by storm and these projects really do have a lot of charm. Will I be making a lot of them? Possibly not, but there are one or two that I've certainly got my eye on and there are several that children would find do-able and a lot of fun and I could imagine that my teenagers are going to have a go at some of them too. Zakka style is cool!