Profile for Steve H > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Sony MDR-EX650 Earphones with Brass Housing, Smartphone Mic and Control
Sony MDR-EX650 Earphones with Brass Housing, Smartphone Mic and Control

4.0 out of 5 stars These Won In My Mini Trial, 21 July 2015
Bought from Richer Sounds so I could trial these against Sennheiser Momentum in ear (which was my target choice on entering the shop), and the Soundmagic E10. The Sony MDR-EX650 seemed to my ears to have a brightness to the sound that pipped the E10s though not by much. The E10s had great build quality and were slightly cheaper....but the sound reproduction is what you buy earphones for. The Sennheisers had to much of a bass centric sound to my ears that mad my favourite trial tracks sound slightly dull, in the same way that AKG 450 headphones did when I bought them on a What Hi-Fi recommendation a few years ago. I remember thinking they would sound better after running in and they never did...so I passed on the Momentum in ears and saved a few quid into the bargain.
I was surprised that the Sonys sounded pretty well balanced out of the box, but left them running constantly for 2 days on a digital radio, and the bass has become significantly less restrained and now sounds full where it should in Classical pieces such as Saint-Saens Organ Symphony. My main listening at present is modern Jazz and these excel, sounding bright clear and balanced, never harsh in the treble which I have experienced with my old Denon and Ultimate Ears in ears occasionally which eventually tires your ears and makes the in ears feel uncomfortable. These are quite large and fill the ear comfortably and have 4 different sized silicone tips to get a good fit.
Headphones and earphones choices are very personal...I do not knock anyone elses opinion as I firmly believe people hear sound very differently, some preferring bass, others preferring clarity, and many being unable to distinguish much difference or being bothered by small degrees of difference. If you possibly can, try them out against others on your short list before making your choice.
Why 4 stars....only because I would love a volume control on the lead to make them spot on.

Torgoen Men's Analog Quartz Watch with Black Dial and Rubber Strap - T23305
Torgoen Men's Analog Quartz Watch with Black Dial and Rubber Strap - T23305

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from the Mainstream Choices - Well Made and Good Looking, 21 July 2015
I had never seen a Torgoen Swiss Watch (pronounced Tor-goyne), but a bit of online research showed the company to be a quite well regarded on various watch forums…apparently Richard Branson wears one! It is a US company, and whilst the movement is certainly Swiss (Ronda) I am sure that the rest of the watch is probably Chinese made. That does not bother me when the quality of the whole product is as good as this. It is a big watch, but not “wrist clock” size with a 45mm case, and with the curve of the strap lugs, it fits the wrist nicely. It has presence but does not overpower my small wrist, and has a definite rugged/outdoors/adventure/sports look to it.

The case is very solid and heavy, with a satin black IP finish. The dial is really very nice, easy to read and interesting with a sunken central dial with 24hr markings for the separate GMT (or other time zone) hand. I think the sunken part is covered by a separate glass panel that has the minute markers on it, because they appear to “float” over the centre section giving the face a 3D appearance. Good lume a strong clicky bezel and a screw down crown with 200m water resistance means you can do most water based activities without a worry.

The strap has a huge adjustment range. I thought it would be silicone from the spec, but it is plastic like the G-Shock, which makes it strong, long lasting and not prone to picking up dust and marks like silicone rubber does. It is also very comfortable and has 3 steel inserts on each side as a design feature which makes it different. The only worry is the unique seamless fit to the case lug where it is fixed with 2 screws on the underside…. if the strap was damaged, then a replacement might be very difficult to source.

There are nice higher end Casio G-Shocks at around the same as the rrp of this Torgoen T23 (£330) but I think this has a lot more class. It looks expensive and feels more exclusive than the Seiko or Citizen offerings in the same price range.

Formex 4 Speed Men's Quartz Watch 20003.2011 with Metal Strap
Formex 4 Speed Men's Quartz Watch 20003.2011 with Metal Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars A Full Half Pound of Watch Metal, 7 July 2015
They say first impressions count, so I may well update this based on ownership experience, but wow...what a piece! It weighs in at 8.4 oz (235g) which means you have a full half pound of metal on your wrist.The weight is actually kept down by the extensive use of titanium ...the strap is made of it, as is some of the casing. I would probably have preferred stainless steel and just accepted the extra weight, only because of the dull finish and dark grey colour of the titanium, but it has grown on me. It is also easy to swap out the strap for a 20mm replacement as the prominent feature at the lug ends of the case are the hex head allen bolts that retain the strap. I reckon a thick leather strap could look great, but you would need to customise a wider strap so that the case end of the strap is 20mm to fit the springbar. Up to 28mm wide straps would fit nicely. I think a 20mm strap would look too narrow, in fact the Formex srap is 22mm wide. You could use it as a template to cut the leather to fit...I shall try it with a cheaper leather strap and post a photo if it looks okay.. .

I had to look up how to set the GMT hand, since it moves around the 24hour markers on the dial, and does not move at the same speed as the standard hour hand...I had to look that up on Youtube. The instructions are useless. The oddest thing is the fact that the case is wedge shaped in profile so it slants the face towards the wearer and you don't twist your wrist so much to read it. That does mean at the far end the case stands 23mm proud of the wrist so it is not a watch to wear under a tight cuff. There is also a slight raised curve around the 12 o clock point of the dial surround. The bezel moves beautifully and the hands hit every marker spot on. The top button/winder is a cool feature that reminds me of the Seiko Spacewalk.
Waterproofing is to 300m and the crown is a screw down type. The suspension featiure is a bit gimicky but means it can sit comfortably on your wrist and adjust with flexing a little.
I love it and will write back here if that changes.

Avio Milano Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Chronograph Display and Black Leather Strap 50 MM TP GREEN

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Italian Designed and Made Quality Watch, 29 Jun. 2015
The watch comes in an oblong black box and inside, the watch itself is wrapped in a soft leather pouch with white stitching. It is a different and quite classy presentation and the pouch serves as a handy protector if you tend to shove your watch in a drawer where it could be scratched. I went for the model with green highlights numbers and face markings. The green is a "Dayglo" luminous green , but has a lighter almost pastel shade than I was expecting from the photos. The case is a solid machined block of smooth satin finished aluminium and the caseback is steel. Considering the 50mm case width, the watch is very light due to the materials, so is comfortable to wear and despite the size it does not look overly huge on my thin wrist but there is a 45mm version that looks pretty much identical for those with very small wrists.
The strap longevity is my only concern as if it ever needed replacing, it is branded on the outside with the Avio Milano name and the stitching is a perfect match for the face so it would be hard to find a good replacement. Oddly the buckle has a black satin PVD finish that does not match the aluminium case.
I do really like the design with it's smooth aluminium lightweight case, large easy to read face, and dayglo green highlights. The chrono is a case of form over function as it only records complete seconds rather than 20ths. The maker is very up front about the fairly standard Japanese Miyota OS10 Quartz movement inside. It is an accurate and reliable much proven mechanism that will not excite real watch freaks. The rest of the watch is made in Italy "Fatto In Italia" is written on the dial and strap and it is assembled in Italy with the Japanese mechanism which keeps costs down, otherwise it would be pretty much impossible to sell an Italian made watch for the target price. Speaking of price. I got this on a warehouse deal and am delighted for the price I paid. I have seen the same watch advertised at up to £600 and whilst it is a very nice watch, it really is not worth that sort of money. If you aim to pay around £200 or less this is a lovely watch that you will be pleased to own and feel exclusive 'cause you won't see many others wearing one.

Hugo Boss Men's Ambassador Brown Leather Strap Watch 43mm 1513023
Hugo Boss Men's Ambassador Brown Leather Strap Watch 43mm 1513023
Offered by Watch Town Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a fine looking watch with a nice quality pvd black coating ..., 19 Jun. 2015
Purchased at Ernest Jones store, currently £50 cheaper at £99. This is a fine looking watch with a nice quality pvd black coating on the case. It is very lightweight indeed as the case stainless steel is very thin. I think that this black case and chestnut brown strap combo is the best looking option on this particular model, which seems to be a brand new line. The strap is quite stiff with a mock-croc surface, and lacks the suppleness of the more expensive Boss ranges. This is pretty much an entry level watch but looks very good on the wrist and is comfortable to wear as it measures a little over 42mm across the case so does not stray into the "clockface on the wrist" territory. The second hand hits every marker on the nail which is always a sign of a good quality finish and it comes in a nice large matt black Boss logo clamshell box. Very happy to recommend this watch

CARBON 14 A1.5 Analogue Mens Sports Watch
CARBON 14 A1.5 Analogue Mens Sports Watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Automatic, Cool Styling, 18 Jun. 2015
Unlike the other reviewer I can only be positive about this watch. It is large heavy and industrial looking but that is what appeals to me. Lovely carbon fibre face and very clear white hands and markings. The finish is to a very high standard with a black pvd finish to the case which in some lights is more a very dark gunmetal with a slight patina. The buttons, and deployment strap have the same finish with a nice milled edge on the buttons that serves no purpose other than looking good since they push rather than turn. Only let down is that the strap lugs are 27mm wide but the strap appears to be 25mm so there is a quite visible gap either side of the strap. The strap is very nice thick leather and a little stiff but very comfortable to wear. Other reviews on amazon.com mention a second fabric strap but this is not included...maybe just for the US market. Movement is a Japanese miyota automatic which includes a stopwatch operated by those massive buttons. The stopwatch is of dubious use though as it only moves in one second steps rather than a smoother sweep normally associated with auto movements that would record 5ths of a second.
A very cool looking watch in my view..but not perfect.
Update: I have had this watch for a few weeks now and have been impressed by the timekeeping accuracy and power reserve of what is a very straightforward Miyota Automatic mechanism. It runs about 12 seconds a day fast at the moment which is far better than I would expect, and has kept going for 3 days off the wrist making it my longest running automatic

Sealey AK46080 Twin Leg Puller Bar Type, 80 x 100 mm
Sealey AK46080 Twin Leg Puller Bar Type, 80 x 100 mm
Offered by Trade Counter Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Crudely Made and Claws Too Thick to Remove My Bearing, 29 April 2015
Not the fault of the supplier, but I was swayed by one of the product reviews which said that the pulling arms were narrow enough to fit into the narrow gap between a pedal and crank on a bicycle. I needed to remove a bearing set from an electric motor shaft where the gap between the bearing and the backplate was 10mm. The claws on the end of the arms on this puller are too thick by far to get between the pulley and the backplate. It is also pretty crudely made with one claw being a millimetre thicker than the other. It also has a lot of play in the joints even when fully tightened. It's not worth the money in my view, and I have sourced something suited to my needs from an independent local engineering company. I will be returning this tool for a refund.

Dreyfuss Co Gents 1925 Watch DGS00032-04
Dreyfuss Co Gents 1925 Watch DGS00032-04
Offered by Watches2U

4.0 out of 5 stars Speedmaster "Looky Likey" Is Top Quality, 11 Mar. 2015
I have had this watch for 4 years now and can attest to it's solid build and a style that often gets a comment. Most comments are due to it's shameless reproduction "Omega Speedmaster" type styling. However much I would love to own an Omega I am not going to drop over £3,500 on a single watch. In fact my entire collection of over 40 watches has cost me less than half that figure over the years, so when I want the looks of the Omega, I pop this on. The case is highly polished and the bezel ring is protected by a thick lacquered layer to prevent rubbing. It has Sapphire glass and a very soft leather strap which fits flush to the case then tapers to 15mm. Take great care of that strap as a replacement that will utilise the deployment clasp at the 15mm end will be difficult to source. The strap had too few holes to fit my slim wrist and I had a local Timpsons punch another hole for me. The style is called the 1953 Chronograph..not the 1925 it says here. I think the styling is strictly 1970s and like it a lot.
Dreyfuss hand make their watches in Switzerland. They are expensive but you can get a good deal if you shop around. I paid half the rrp on this model. It is "waterproof" .....a bonkers claim but Dreyfuss are happy to stand by it. Beautiful oak presentation box must have cost the thick end of £50 alone!

STURMANSKIE MENS STW1251G9 STAINLESS STEEL CHRONOGRAPH BROWN LEATHER STRAP WATCH 100M WR
Offered by Fab Watches

5.0 out of 5 stars Commemorative Space Watch -Beware no seconds function, 4 Mar. 2015
This watch is a very good price. At a shade under £50 I was expecting a cheaper grade Sturmanskie. It is made in China, but so are 60% of the watches on the market, and the Chinese do make some excellent affordable watches.
One thing I immediately need to make clear is that this design does not incorporate a second hand. It is odd but is a copy of early soviet military chronographs that did away with the distracting extra hand or third dial. It keeps excellent time and each minute marker is subdivided by 5 and it is easy to tell how far between markers the hand is but it is unconventional and quirky which is why I like it....it is not made clear in the blurb and I had to check the movement PDF file online for confirmation
The good thing is that the movement is a Seiko VK64a mecha-quartz. The watch time is controlled by the quartz mechanism and the Stopwatch uses mechanical parts to spring back to zero on reset like an expensive mechanical chronograph. In reality this feature is for watch geeks as few people use chrono' functions and many might prefer to have the second hand.
The build quality is really good in fact at this price it is remarkable. Normal price is over £200 for this model. The strap is incredibly thick high quality leather with a brushed steel Sturmanskie etched buckle. The case is a combination of brushed and highly polished finishes. The case back is etched to commemorate "Pioneers of Space" it features a depiction of the Vostok 1 space module and is all written in Cyrillic script. I have been able to translate the names of 3 of the 6 Cosmonauts around the edge as Komorov, Yegorov and Feoktistov, but the others do not make sense as I would expect to at least see Gagarin and Leonov and probably Popovich, Nicolayev or Belyayev. Maybe the spellings are wrong. You might want to do some research if you are buying for the historic connection.
I am chuffed to bits with the look and feel of the watch, but you might have concerns over the lack of a second hand or the confusion over the engraving on the back.

Nespresso Fortissio Lungo, Pack of 5, 5 x 10 Capsules
Nespresso Fortissio Lungo, Pack of 5, 5 x 10 Capsules
Offered by Queen's Coffee

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch the use by date!, 27 Feb. 2015
All fine but arrived with a sel by date only two months away. I will use them all before then but it is something to consider. I reckon they are flogging old stock so should really be cheaper.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12