Profile for Mr. Jeremy Carter > Reviews

Content by Mr. Jeremy Carter

Mr. Jeremy Carter "jeremycarter2" (Storrington West Sussex)

Page: 1 | 2
Space Ritual Alive In London
Space Ritual Alive In London

5.0 out of 5 stars Hawkwinds Finest Hour (and a half), 22 Mar 2005
Absolutely mind blowing when heard on a dodgy bootleg cassette in 1976, as a spotty 15 year old who had hitherto only seen Hawkwind on Top of the Pops with bubble machine & Stacia shaking her considerable booty.
I knew that something had changed & in future I probably wasn't going to be listening to the, shall we say, rather precious stuff a middle class grammar school chap was supposed to like (that would be your Yes/ELP/Genesis)
Anyway back to the matter in hand. It starts with mournful far off howling and a disembodied voice calling across the cosmos - could be any pretentious 70's prog rock band so far. There is a pregnant pause & World War III starts - Oh My God this is THUNDEROUSLY LOUD & FLAT OUT & what are they thinking of & it blurs into the next track & that blurs into a POEM (!)and that blurs into another deafening track & that blurs.....
An hour & a half later you put it on again to see if it really happened....
I dont have any idea if, as certain other reviewers have claimed, that it influenced techno, or anything else. I don't really give a stuff who or what it influenced (except me!)
To summise, I can forgive Hawkwind all the cr*p that they have turned out since then (their quality control aint ISO 9002)just for this one moment of wonderousness....
Enjoy but please make sure it is maximum volume & non-stop or you wont really get that 1972 hit!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2008 8:08 PM GMT

The Return of The Durutti Column
The Return of The Durutti Column
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars It all started here, 11 Jan 2005
On my God, 1979 - It seems a lifetime ago - I hadn't even gone to college & certainly wouldn't have been interested in any Factory Band - I was off to Knebworth to see Led Zeppelin!!!
Anyway it was 10 years before I heard any DC (Guitar & Other Machines) & it was love at first etc.. Scooped up what I could new & 2nd hand & this is my 3rd version of the album. One is the 'black' cover vinyl version, one a (hopefully rare & outrageously expensive) White Label vinyl version & now this CD with some extra stuff bunged on - which is for completists only I have to say.
As ever with DC, Vini Reilly had apparently done his bit in 2-3 days and cleared off, leaving Martin Hannett to insert primitive synthesiser noises & bung it all together
I quote from the DC Website 'nine simple classically-structured guitar pieces put through echoplex'.
Absolutely..... and the Mona Lisa is oil paint daubed on canvas.
A little context is required I think. 1979 - Punk is in the ascendancy (in the music press anyway) the Dinosaurs still have huge followings but the mainstream record buying public are ignoring both both & buying disco cr*p.
The DC fell through the cracks, as they have been fated to do so ever since.....
It is lovely, simple, melodic, neccesarily limited and of a whole. God only knows what the music press & public made of it back then. Utter bewilderment I would have thought.
It is always difficult to say how & why anyone not familiar with a Musicians sound should bother listening to them. You usually end up with comparisons e.g. 'Imagine Nick Drake crossed with Joy Division' which is both true & false.
It doesn't really matter I suppose, it is lovely music & it started a wobbly career which has lurched onwards over the past 25 years. I don't love everything Vini has done but I do love most of it and this is where it started so you really should have it, if only to see how it all started.
4 stars not 5 because what was to come was an improvement - still a regular on my CD player though!

The Durutti Column - The Best Of
The Durutti Column - The Best Of

5.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked Genius, 1 Nov 2004
When I first heard the Durutti Column in 1989, I assumed that as a Factory Band they would be a Joy Division soundalike and was rather pleased that they were not!
My wife calls them the band with the nice guitarist who can't sing which is not a bad description...
In reality the DC can be by turns ambient, aggressive, austere or wistful. They are the only musicians in permanent residence in some form or another on my Cars CD changer and have been for some years.
What about the album then? A 25 year retrospective album of 30 tracks, some you would expect, some you would not. To be honest you could quite easily pluck another 30 equally valid pieces of music from the DC back catalogue. Why no place for Silence, Royal Infirmary or Red Square to mention a few? No matter, it is all beautiful stuff. The bonus being that if you do stumble across this album & like it you are in for a huge treat going through the tracks that didn't make it.
The final scene in 24 Hour Party People when God parts the clouds & reveals the time is ripe for a DC revival is of course the best joke in the film. DC were never fashionable enough to enjoy a revival and will continue to be ignored (I saw them twice on their recent mini tour and was one of the approximately 50 people who could be bothered to turn up at the Tunbridge Wells performance).
God bless you Vini, I don't expect things will ever change....

Unorthodox Behaviour
Unorthodox Behaviour

4.0 out of 5 stars Phil Collins Makes Decent Album Shock Horror, 17 Aug 2004
This review is from: Unorthodox Behaviour (Audio CD)
Phil Collins was obviously a bit bored with Genesis by the mid 1970's (lots of other people were also arriving at the same conclusion) and he had a sideline as a session drummer for rather more experimental people such as Brian Eno (e.g. the lovely Another Green World)
Having met Percy Jones on said album as well as John Goodsall & Robin Lumley on works for Eddie Howell & Jack Lancaster they became Brand X and released this album to a not tremendously excited world.
On relection, Brand X never really had a chance, it was 1976 and the floodgates of New Wave/Punk were about to break. Playing clever jazz rock was about to become extremely unfashionable.
To a teenage Gong/Soft Machine fan however, it seemed that not all was lost as 3 chords of unmelodic and moronic punk crap was unleashed on one side and the horrors of disco pap attacked from the other flank. Probably a mistake to have played it in its entirity to prospective girlfriends though... Hmmmm
Intelligent, amusing and even profound (e.g. Touch Wood) their debut album set the tone for their short career. No vocals & none needed, I could loop this album plus Livestock together & listen for quite some time.
It is an everlasting testament to how crass & useless the music industry is that Brand X never made it but Phil Collins 'soul' records sold millions to people who presumably had never heard the original source material.
Still... he is a damn good drummer and I don't have to play my wifes collection of his solo crap!
Enough already - at the price I paid for my copy it is dirt cheap and well worth 40 minutes of your time.......
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2013 5:22 PM GMT

Livestock
Livestock

5.0 out of 5 stars Why does no-one like Brand X?, 27 Jun 2004
This review is from: Livestock (Audio CD)
Is it because I is Phil Collins? Seriously, can anyone else in the Rock world have so little street cred when compared to his talent? I personally can't bear any of his soppy solo albums and certainly think he did Genesis no favours when he took over from Peter Gabriel BUT he is one hell of a drummer.....
Ah well, this album always takes me back to the late 1970's when to like jazz rock like this or Soft Machine & Gong was social suicide amongst the 'cool' 6th formers who had jettisoned their prog rock collections and become middle class punks. I personally loved the ones who then got into Dub reggae or tuneless crap like Joy Division (sorry its true - the only talented band ever signed by Factory Records were the wonderful Durutti Column)
Anyway thats another story - Brand X were a band with variable studio output and I never felt they knew exactly where they were headed so it was good to hear them live - I always visualise this album being recorded in a fairly sleazy club with a stoned and only partially attentive audience allowing the boys to just hang loose.
Very nice to see it on CD - my vinyl version is completely knackered -especially side 2 Isis Mourning - definitive Brand X track. Only real complaint is that all this sounds so much better than the studio versions that they should have made it a double album....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2014 9:45 PM BST