Profile for M. Seymour > Reviews

Content by M. Seymour

M. Seymour "amikeseymour" (Europe)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
No Mortal Thing
No Mortal Thing
by Gerald Seymour

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, 23 Jan. 2016
This review is from: No Mortal Thing (Hardcover)
Disappointing. Very boring with interminable descriptions of... nothing, , just waiting. Not worth buying.

Close My Eyes [DVD]
Close My Eyes [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alan Rickman

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not brilliant, 21 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Close My Eyes [DVD] (DVD)
I was a bit disappointed. I bought it after Alan Rickman died as I'd never heard of. But but I just didn't get where the incest came from. OK she snogs him the first time we encounter them (she says she needs a hug) but 5 or so years later she goes to his flat and pounces!
I had to rewind to see if I had nodded off and missed something.
Didn't "not enjoy" it but don't pay inflated, post-Rickman-death prices for a copy. It isn't worth it.
And the sex scenes aren't all that good!

In the Dark Places (Inspector Banks Novels)
In the Dark Places (Inspector Banks Novels)
by Peter Robinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Disingenuous rip off, 11 Aug. 2015
This is a rip-off as it is simply the US title of Abattoir Blues. Don't be fooled into buying or downloading it if you have read Abattoir Blues.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2015 1:18 AM BST

Masterpiece Annie Nightingale
Masterpiece Annie Nightingale

5.0 out of 5 stars Great eclectic mix, 7 Aug. 2015
Bought it for my brother and sister-in-law, who love it. Ordered one for myself and it's playing as I type. Great mix of tracks. Can't beleive Annie is in her 70s!

A Place of Refuge: An Experiment in Communal Living - The Story of Windsor Hill Wood
by Tobias Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 10 July 2015
A gem: One of those books that, once you have finished reading it, you start mentally listing the people to whom you're gonna send it as a present as you want them to enjoy it too. Highly recommended.

St Pancras: Reborn
St Pancras: Reborn
by Mr Christopher R Finch

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pics but a bit amateurish, 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: St Pancras: Reborn (Paperback)
A bit disappointing. Great photos but did read a little bit like a VIth Form Geog' project. Could have done with some better editing. I wonder if it started out life as a blog. No disrespect to the author -- I could never be rude to a train driver -- but for the money (it was one penny short of twenty quid) I expected something better.

My Animals and Other Family
My Animals and Other Family
by Clare Balding

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, Couldn't put it down, 9 May 2013
Have long had a soft spot, nay a secret lust, for Clare Balding even though I use the wrong bit of the library (her words not mine) and loved this book. But I was amazed at how similar Clare's childhood was to a Jilly Cooper novel.

I now wonder if Jilly Cooper is Clare's mum's pseudonym!! I used to think the riding and polo stuff in her novels was a bit OTT but I now know that it wasn't as I can't believe CB made any of this up. Did Jilly base some of her characters on CB's family and business I wonder?

Was very moved at CB's account of breaking down ("my throat constricted") at the sight of a memorial plaque to the outward bounds instructor, who was sadly killed and who had been an inspiration to her as a schoolgirl, when she was recording a Rambling programme for Radio 4.

Highly recommend this book. Can't wait for the next instalment.

No Off Switch
No Off Switch
by Andy Kershaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent entertaining exuberant read, 7 May 2013
This review is from: No Off Switch (Paperback)
Really good autobiography. Full of anecdote and insight and honesty about the darker episodes in his life. I was growing up in Leeds at the same time as AK was there, though younger and not a student but I went to a lot of the gigs he went to, listened to him on the radio, recognised the characters he described etc. I defy anyone who likes music and recognises a passionate individual not to enjoy this book. Really really brilliant read.

The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 30 Jan. 2013
I had never heard of the author but bought the first two novels on spec and am really glad I did. Besides the whodunnit element there is a lot of detail about life in the Hebrides. Have been gifting them to all and sundry ever since.

The Coffin Trail
The Coffin Trail
by Martin Edwards

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Little Mystery, 16 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Coffin Trail (Paperback)
Was put onto Martin Edwards by Yorkshire crime writer Stuart Pawson -- or rather his website. Have really enjoyed all the ones I've read. Highly recommended and am looking forward to the next in the series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4