Profile for leehollifield > Reviews

Make It Good
Make It Good
Price: 9.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I dared to imagine!, 27 May 2002
This review is from: Make It Good (Audio CD)
With all the manufactured puppets that parade the charts today, laughing all the way to the bank, I was a bit dubious about a1's change of direction. They've always persisted that they are far more mature than other chart busters, like say, Pondlife, and that they always write their own songs, and play their own instruments, and have gotten better with every album. With 'Make It Good' they've prooved that theory. This album is jam packed with quality tunes, many with sweeping psychedelic choruses, that you can't help but like. The lyrics occasionaly stumble into old a1 territory, but are redeemed by the sincerity displayed in the vocals. 'Here Comes The Rain' and 'One Last Song' are excellent examples of emotion commited to record in a way that trancends your average boyband dittie song. It knpcks spots off 'Flying Withouy Wings' let's put it that way. The recent hits 'Caught In The Middle' and 'Make It Good' are a good indication of what to expect from this record. Guitar music for the more mature pop fan. And with all four boys taking it in turn to write tracks, and with each of them playing one or more instrument throughout, we are left with a well crafted and quality album that may or may not sell, depending on how the pop market react to a band with actual talent as opposed to just a fine marketing director, who wouldn't think twice about taking money from impressionable teens, and offering them an album that is devoid of any passion or soul, for the sake of making a quick buck. Well done boys!'Make It Good' indeed......well you certainly have.

Waiting to Exhale
Waiting to Exhale
by Terry McMillan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Funny, moving, thought -provoking Novel!, 2 Dec 2001
This review is from: Waiting to Exhale (Paperback)
Despite being male, I was advised by one of my close friends to read this book. I was told that it would make me laugh, cry and cheer. I'd heard very little about the story before hand, but was told that it was not just a book for the female of the species. It supposedly offered a great glimpse into the world of women.
So, I gave it a try, and I must say, out of all the books I've read (and believe me, I've read a few!), this has to be one of my all time favourites. The story follows a year in the life of four women. Savannah, Bernadine, Robin, and Gloria who all lead busy and often stressful lives, but through each other they find support and guidance, and in turn develop the kind of friendship that we all hope we have! This book is both sassy, and hillarious, with deliciously memorable characters who you'll cheer for till the very last page. Terry McMillan has crafted a modern masterpiece of surburban lifestyles and heartwarming friendship!
Needless to say, I'm now off to investigate the case of 'Waiting To Exhale' the movie!
Buy with confidence. However, be warned, this book may destroy your sleep patterns due to a serious infection of 'cantputitdownitus'!

Greatest Hits: Mariah Carey
Greatest Hits: Mariah Carey
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 6.10

5.0 out of 5 stars A great showcase for Mariah's artistic growth!, 2 Dec 2001
Despite the fact that this album is being released by Sony records, the company she has just parted from to join Virgin, Miss. Carey still had control over what tracks she wanted to include on this album. Now, most Carey fans will know that it wasn't THAT long ago since 1's (her album of No.1 hits) found it's way onto shelves, however THIS album is a collection of songs that Mariah deems her best work, and not necessarily songs that were big hits or even released as a single at all in some countries. Yes I know the album title says 'Greatest Hits', but let's not nit pick here!. Hence, we have a great testament to one of the best (and most underrated) singer/songwiters around! OK, Mariah CAN get a little too carried away at times with the vocal strainings but hey, I wish I could do that! And her lyrics can be extremely personal and moving at times. So, open your mind, and just listen to THAT voice.
HELPFUL HINT: Remove all glass objects from the room this CD will be played in! (High risk of shattering)