Profile for Ms. L. J. Branch > Reviews

Content by Ms. L. J. Branch

Ms. L. J. Branch "lucy3777" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Wooden Walls of Thermopylae
The Wooden Walls of Thermopylae
by Nick Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hemingway of the Ancient World, 14 Jun. 2015
Nick Brown is the Hemingway of the ancient world. His style of narrative ebbs with description while the plot maintains its momentum which is exactly what you need when reading about a period in history which is so far from our own. I loved how Brown brings the streets to life by not forgetting to tell us how the statues would have looked, how the honey-cakes would have tasted and how the bitter-herbs would have smelt. This sequel to Luck Bringer continues with the story of a boy, now a man, whose life as a soldier is forced upon him. What we read about is Mandrocles' education as a warrior of the time and Brown is so at home in this period that he delivers us the experience of how life must have been at a time where control of your own destiny was almost impossible for men like Mandrocles. The main character, though flawed, is very likeable and for me this was one of the reasons that I enjoyed the book so much. It is a story about cut-throat politics and cruel battles but it's also about one man's loves and regrets.

The Sun in Her Eyes
The Sun in Her Eyes
by Paige Toon

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Home-Run for Paige Toon!, 14 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Sun in Her Eyes (Paperback)
What a great storyline this was. The complex web of life and love in Amber's world is totally addictive. I think the way Toon deals with difficult subjects alongside a love story is a real skill which bonds the reader to the main character in a profound way. This is up there with her best books and is blissful escapism.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Glimpse into one family's life, 19 May 2015
I really enjoyed this book. My son who is a keen and talented chess player asked me recently - why do so many of the Asian players have better grades than me? I knew the answer - the parents insist they work harder but I had no real idea quite how hard they work. I do insist my kids study at whatever they do - if they don't then they don't get to do it - music, homework, chess but I had no idea quite how much further some families go and it's clear success is proportional. This book isn't supposed to encourage Tiger-parenting but it has encouraged me to stick with my convictions that a bit of hard work is good for kids.

How To Get to the Top of Google - The Plain English Guide to SEO (including latest Google Updates and Penalty Recovery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 15 Mar. 2015
With the advice from This book - we just got our manual penalty lifted which our SEO company failed to do despite over £1500 of payments. Now have dropped SEO company - we are doing it all on our own. I'm busy but I'm not dopey - good ranking is essential for all businesses and this book is straightforward and easy to follow even for a non-IT user.

Aqua Sphere Anti-Fog Solution - 30cc
Aqua Sphere Anti-Fog Solution - 30cc
Offered by Swim-Bike-Run

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Mar. 2015
Great. 100% improvement when used

Zoggs 300392 Ultra Blue Finz Flippers - Blue / Grey   6/7 UK
Zoggs 300392 Ultra Blue Finz Flippers - Blue / Grey 6/7 UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed and stuck with them, 15 Mar. 2015
After reading all the reviews which said these fins were a tight fit. I purchased size 6/7 assuming Id be ok - I'm size 6 generally. They are huge and 2 swim sessions in I am bleeding so much from rubbing that I can hardly use shoes at all - even UGG-style which are pretty much like slippers. These fins are fat! If you have narrow feet - avoid or bleed... Dissapointed and now stuck with them as they are used...

Action Day Weekly Planner 2015 - Size 8x11 - Layout Designed to Get Things Done - (Personal Organizer (+) Week to View Diary (+) Daily Calendar (+) Day Planner (+) Weekly Diary (+) Monthly Planner (+) Goals Journal (+) Appointment Book (+) Meeting Notes)
Offered by Action Day Europe

2.0 out of 5 stars Was disappointed. I wanted to love this diary with all ..., 29 Dec. 2014
Was disappointed. I wanted to love this diary with all the inspirational pages about how to be organized and go-getting/goal-setting philosophy, but one huge flaw is the lack of diary space for items that aren't time-specific. There is no space to write in details that relate to a specific date but not a specific time (essential for things you need to keep in mind that day). I've tried to adapt to its format but the time-slots are being filled up with notes and suddenly there's no room to add in an appointment that crops up. Such a shame...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2015 6:34 PM GMT

Body Clock SensaTone Compact Digital Pelvic Floor Stimulator/Post Natal Incontinence Relief
Offered by BabyMad Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to get you started, 23 Nov. 2014
I have been using this little machine about 5 times a week since August and have felt an improvement. No longer leak when sneezing and leak less when using rebounder than I used to. Sex is better too. However, recently have been thinking it may have taken me as far as I can go as I feel I have plateaued and still leak when I laugh suddenly so I've purchased a spring based system to see if I can continue on the road back to pre-babydom. The advantage to this system over the exercise based system is you can just sit and tune out while the machine does the work but I do question whether the machine can go the final mile.

Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting: The Revolutionary Programme That Transforms Family Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 24 April 2014
An excellent book with many straightforward techniques to try though personally I would buy this as an audiobook. It's not a light read and as it is worth absorbing - audio is a much less heavy mode. I have put these techniques into practice and they do work though my kids challenge me a lot more than the author suggests they will. However, I think it's about applying all the techniques together to achieve a calmer, happier, easier life and as there are a lot of techniques it's worth making it easy on yourself.

Harry's Magic Tables: Teach Your Child Their Times Tables in as Little as a Week!
by Stephanie Moraghan

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 1 Dec. 2013
My son has real trouble with sequences of anything so days of week, months, times tables too. He's only 6 but In a fortnight, he has his 3's and 4's completely sorted and he is keen to get onto the rest. It's a great method - if only there were other books like this so that people who find conventional learning a challenge had an alternative way. If Stephanie Moraghan is reading this - please branch out...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3