Profile for Wendy McFarlane > Reviews

Content by Wendy McFarlane

Wendy McFarlane (Aviemore)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bryant and May On The Loose: (Bryant & May Book 7)
Bryant and May On The Loose: (Bryant & May Book 7)
by Christopher Fowler

5.0 out of 5 stars fun, factual and a fabulous read, 16 Oct. 2014
Book 7, fun, factual and a fabulous read, I am so hooked on this series! The elements of mythology and the supernatural are well researched, very informative and told in a way to want the reader to go and find out more about the subject, especially the Celtic history of the Green Man. I love the quirkiness of the characters, Maggie Armitage is an inspiration and the way they bounce off each other within each story. I have been looking for another crime series to get my teeth into since I finished Louise Penny's excellent novels with Armande Gamashe and am so pleased to discover these. Of course the bank balance has been seriously dented as I had to buy the whole lot but in the interests of literature and a damn good read, I just don't care! Highly recommended.

Full Dark House
Full Dark House
by Christopher Fowler

4.0 out of 5 stars However as you get further into the story it becomes clear and it's a really enjoyable read as a start to this incredibly funny, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Full Dark House (Hardcover)
I have to admit when I began reading this I was confused as Bryant is killed off practically on the first page so I wondered where they were going with this. However as you get further into the story it becomes clear and it's a really enjoyable read as a start to this incredibly funny series of novels. I love all the wit and banter between the detectives, their sarcasm and quirky outlook on the world. The plots are intrictae and highly imaginative and you are surprised at every turn as the story unfolds. I would highly recommend them especially if you are looking for a crime novel with a difference and I will be reading the series in full over the next few weeks.

The Summer Queen
The Summer Queen
by Elizabeth Chadwick

5.0 out of 5 stars This is wonderful! Full of intrigue at court, 7 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Summer Queen (Paperback)
This is wonderful! Full of intrigue at court, espionage, sex and scandal, a close representation of the complex and enthralling life of a great Queen, one to read and treasure and and slot onto your keepers shelf. An amazing piece of writing, highly recommended if you enjoy historical novels.

The Bell at Sealey Head
The Bell at Sealey Head
by Patricia A McKillip

4.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful book to read and keep, 7 Oct. 2014
Lovely, just lovely. Mystical magical and other worldly, full of sea creatures and folklore myths, a beautiful book to read and keep. Recommended.

Queens Forest Friends Hedgehog Mug
Queens Forest Friends Hedgehog Mug
Offered by MightyHousewares

5.0 out of 5 stars It's perfectly made featuring one of my most favourite woodland animals, 7 Oct. 2014
This was a gift from a dear friend and one I will treasure. It's perfectly made featuring one of my most favourite woodland animals. Recommended.

Tree of Life Karma Range Window Sticker Something Different
Tree of Life Karma Range Window Sticker Something Different
Offered by Find Something Different

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended., 7 Oct. 2014
I bought this little sticker for my window and its quite a sun catcher as well as a distraction for all the birds which seem to smash into my windowpanes, and it's gorgeous to boot. Recommended.

Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet [DVD]  [2013] [NTSC]
Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Federico Bonelli

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fantastic, mesmeric and totally amazing, 7 Oct. 2014
Oh my, if you are into the ballet this is heaven on a plate!! Just fantastic, mesmeric and totally amazing, such skill from these wonderful dancers. The interpretation of the ballet was from the classic which was a treat as so many go for the contemporary version. This is dreamy and I can highly recommend.

Kissing the Demons (Joe Plantagenet Murder Mysteries)
Kissing the Demons (Joe Plantagenet Murder Mysteries)
by Kate Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars The story was good, entertaining and held my interest and made a ..., 7 Oct. 2014
MMmm not sure about this simply because the novel is so short, you feel as if you have been short changed! The story was good, entertaining and held my interest and made a nice change to see her write about a different detective than Wesley Peterson in her first series. But...it was over before it began so for that I can only say I like it.

The Sound of Broken Glass
The Sound of Broken Glass
by Deborah Crombie

4.0 out of 5 stars great stuff! Recommended, 7 Oct. 2014
Lovely lovely, this author never fails to entertain. Another outing with the Kincaid family, another crime to solve and more family problems along the way. This series, despite its length never ceases to entertain, great stuff! Recommended.

Watch Over Me (Glen Avich 1)
Watch Over Me (Glen Avich 1)
by Daniela Sacerdoti

3.0 out of 5 stars It just didn't get going for me even though I love stories of this kind and wasn't expecting hugs emotions ..., 7 Oct. 2014
I am sorry to say I found this very dreary and depressing. It just didn't get going for me even though I love stories of this kind and wasn't expecting hugs emotions or action within the tale. I read it through but felt so depressed afterwards I had to find something funny and uplifting to read before I fell into a complete stupor, sorry!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20