Profile for Wendy McFarlane > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Luna Moon Hare: A Magical Journey with the Goddess
Luna Moon Hare: A Magical Journey with the Goddess
by Wendy Andrew

5.0 out of 5 stars It's truly magical in every way and I cannot recommend it highly enough, 24 July 2015
The most gorgeously illustrated book with an enchanting story for young and old. I received this as a gift and it has to be now one of my most treasured novels. It's truly magical in every way and I cannot recommend it highly enough. A wonderful piece of written word and artistry by such a talented lady.

A Desperate Fortune
A Desperate Fortune
by Susanna Kearsley

5.0 out of 5 stars Another past and present adventure with the Jacobites and their passionate supporters., 30 Jun. 2015
This review is from: A Desperate Fortune (Paperback)
Once again, a beautifully atmospheric read from this wonderful author. It links the first two novels, The Winter Sea and Firebird in the saga of the Jacobites and their quest to reinstate King Jamie to his rightful Scottish throne. Elements from all the novels are brought in to add fullness to the story and it completely draws you in, sweeping you away on a thrilling journey into the past with an equally enchanting present day tale; a stand by of Susanna's where she weaves past and present with such fluidity and charm. I can't think of any other author who captures the historical era so well even though I adore Barbara Erskine's tales so much. I loved every aspect of this and at the end there is a suggestion in summing up by the author, who seems to hint at an unfinished future journey with the daring and brave Jacobites and I'm hoping, as with the others, she once again might travel back to Cruden Bay and Slains Castle on the eerie, wild West Coast of Scotland, where the first tale began. Simply stunning, highly recommended!

The Darkest Hour
The Darkest Hour
by Barbara Erskine

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, simply wonderful, 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Darkest Hour (Paperback)
Wonderful, simply wonderful. This is quite a change from her usual format and based on the diaries of her Father, an ex RAF pilot in WW2 but her skill as an author enables Ms Erskine to deviate from her historical novels and sink her ideas in a more contemporary "modern day" romantic novel with just a sprinkling of the supernatural, in which she excels. I just had to read it in one sitting, by the fire on a wet and windy afternoon. I believe her next novel takes us back into the realms of historicals which I'm so looking forward to but this one, for me, is a must addition for my keepers shelf. Absolutely fabulous!

Bryant & May - The Burning Man
Bryant & May - The Burning Man

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this story, 24 May 2015
Another outing for the intrepid duo of Bryant and May, another successful novel to add to this incredibly addictive series. The plot centres around the impending Guy Fawkes night and the imminent collapse of a London bank which in turn reduces old London town to a state of riotous chaos. The plot is complex, intriguing and full of the comedy and off the wall antics pertaining to the PCU. It also covers Arthur's slow decline with his mental health issues which, as the story progressed , I found very moving. I loved this story, not just for the murder mystery which is always absorbing, but for the comic timing, the speed with which Mr Fowler draws you in and the oodles of fascinating history which seems has no bounds in all the BnM books. I know very little of London town but after reading these books, I now feel as if it wouldn't be quite so allien if I were to ever visit our capital city. The PCU staff are as whacky as ever together with Arthur's collection of esoteric friends; one very tweeny critisism which really isn't worth mentioning, but I will! I missed Crippen the staff cat, he was conspicuous in his absence and I hope in the next book we get to hear how he is! A fabulous edition to this excellent series which I believe, is to be serialised on TV. About time, we need some decent drama and this has been a long time coming. Highly recommended!!

2015 Country Wisdom & Folklore Diary
2015 Country Wisdom & Folklore Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, I receive one each year and never tire ..., 15 May 2015
Beautiful, I receive one each year and never tire of them. Each year they seem to come up with so many interesting facts which we have never heard of! Recommended if you enjoy a spiritual life and are passionate about keeping folklore and the old traditions in use, great read.

Old Magic of Christmas: Yuletide Traditions for the Darkest Days of the Year
Old Magic of Christmas: Yuletide Traditions for the Darkest Days of the Year
by Linda Raedisch

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended., 15 May 2015
Gorgeous Yule present from a friend. It's full of folklore and traditions with such a varied collection of stories, tales and information. Recommended.

Dark Sister
Dark Sister
by Graham Joyce

5.0 out of 5 stars well written by a much loved, and now missed, 15 May 2015
This review is from: Dark Sister (Hardcover)
This was a re purchase of a book I read years ago then lost somehow. A marvelously disturbing read, well written by a much loved, and now missed, author.

Rose Cottage/ Stormy Petrel/ Thornyhold
Rose Cottage/ Stormy Petrel/ Thornyhold
by Mary Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 May 2015
Tremendous collection of stories from a much loved author.

The Victoria Vanishes (unabridged audiobook)
The Victoria Vanishes (unabridged audiobook)
by Christopher Fowler
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars ... a present for a friend who told me how fantastic it was so I'm going to borrow it, 15 May 2015
This was a present for a friend who told me how fantastic it was so I'm going to borrow it! Recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, very well made, 15 May 2015
A treat for me! Love this, very well made, cheap and cheerful with one of my favorite animals on, what could be better.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20