Profile for Wendy McFarlane > Reviews

Love Is The Way
Love Is The Way
Price: 12.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Love Is The Way (Audio CD)
If you are a fan of Eddi Reader then this is a must for your collection. It contains many familiar songs and a few new and they are easy listening, perfect for a lazy day in the sun.

Cuckoo Wood
Cuckoo Wood
by Jenny Glanfield

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely easy read., 24 May 2013
This review is from: Cuckoo Wood (Paperback)
A sweet story gently rolling along, none taxing but perfect for a day sat in the garden, captures your imagination and the perfect way to escape for a while.

The River: A love story
The River: A love story
by Philippa Forrester
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!, 10 May 2013
This book is a delight from start to finish. It tells the tale of a wildlife cameraman and his wife Phillipa, a TV presenter. They take the brave decision to move from London to the country beside a river which Charlie, the husband has often aspired to settle. Its written with warmth, humour, honesty and none of the trappings of a minor celebrity status you would at first imagine. They settle in, have their first child and realise they have otters in the river. Deciding to approach the BBC to sponsor a TV short film on these wonderful creatures is not the easy ride they thought it might be and their journey to accomplish this is riddled with obstacles and pitfalls. I so enjoyed reading this being a wildlife enthusiast and I laughed and cried with them on this exciting journey. Full of interesting facts and stories of their time with the otters, kingfishers, wacky ducks to name but a few, if you have a love of all creatures great and small you can't fail to fall in love with this, just fabulous!

The Shadow Collector (Wesley Peterson)
The Shadow Collector (Wesley Peterson)
by Kate Ellis
Price: 18.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!, 3 May 2013
Oh dear indeed. Am I the only person to find this a little well, dull? I have read and enjoyed many of Ms Ellis's novels and enjoyed them but my expectations of this were quite high given the witchcraft involvement etc. It was a pleasant read, a little predictable dare I say and I had worked everything out well before the end so no surprises there. I have to say I had this on order so am not the sort to go buying books without due thought and therefore feel entitled to be a bit grumpy.It's not all bad though, the stories heading up each chapter from events in the past were so much more interesting and I would have really enjoyed reading more about them. Not for me this one sadly, I hope her next will be worth the wait, sorry.

Wild Hares and Hummingbirds: The Natural History of an English Village
Wild Hares and Hummingbirds: The Natural History of an English Village
by Stephen Moss
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read., 30 April 2013
This is a fantastic book if you love wildlife, particularly the two creature who feature in the title. It takes you through each month, through the changing seasons in a typical English village and the stories are told with charm and wit and an incredible knowledge of the natural world. A must for wildlife lovers, highly recommended.

A Prickly Affair: My Life with Hedgehogs
A Prickly Affair: My Life with Hedgehogs
by Hugh Warwick

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 22 April 2013
I am wildlife mad and have to say the Hedgehog is right up there as the best little creature in the world (close to Badger who comes second!) This is sublime to read especially if you are as passionate as I am about these adorable little creatures. What can I say about Britain's expert on this small mammal except this book has everything and more than you will ever need to know about the darling of the hedgerows. There were many amazing facts too which I was unaware of so if you, like me need a fix on the Hedgie, read this, it's superb!!

My Garden and Other Animals
My Garden and Other Animals
by Mike Dilger
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 22 April 2013
As my all time favorite book is My Family and other Animals by G. Durrell I was eager to see where this book was going. It's the year long account of Mike and his partner Christine as they move to the country, set up home and go on a quest to create their very own wildlife retreat. I laughed with them all the way and found it so informative I ended up taking notes for myself to try out in my little patch. We did the same thing ourselves not so long ago with the added difficulty of a lack of funds but as you read this you see that it can be achieved on a smaller scale with minimal outlays of cash and loads of imagination. We were fortunate to be given a house on a Highland Estate with its own stream and wildflower meadow but wanted to know how to get the best from it, plenty of tips for that! I have hens too and yes they are just as he describes, the perfect antidote to stress so I was pleased to see they took the plunge with that. I got this from the library but have now ordered it on Amazon for my keepers shelf and am sure it will be put to good use and well worn before the year is out! I hope there is a book two waiting in the wings as I would be first in the queue for that!

The Lantern
The Lantern
by Deborah Lawrenson
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight!, 19 April 2013
This review is from: The Lantern (Paperback)
I have had this on one of my bookshelves for quite sometime so feel bad now for leaving the reading of it for so long, it's wonderful! Set amid the lavender fields of Provence around a chateaux with oodles of history, this is such a delight to read. It's duel time frame weaving between present day and the story of Eve who has agreed to move in with her mysterious new lover, Dom and the past story from the early 1900's of Benedictine, a young farm girl who the reader is led to believe haunts the house. This author certainly knows how to create an atmosphere suggesting a haunting, a mystery and a possible murder, shades of Rebecca, but not quite! Exquisitely written you can smell the lavender wafting in the fields, the perfumes conjured up by Benedictine's sister, Marthe and her sense of place is quite astonishing. It moves along, never even a whiff of page skimming to reach a conclusion which you don't expect. It' hauntingly beautiful and I would highly recommend you try it then follow with Songs of Blue and Gold, the author's take on the mystery surrounding the life of Lawrence Durrell and his sojourn to Corfu pre WW2, fabulous!

Eloise
Eloise
by Judy Finnigan
Price: 3.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Eloise (Paperback)
Oh dear, I was so looking forward to reading this but oh what a let down! It is set in one of the most beautiful, atmospheric landscapes within the British Isles but none of the Cornwall magic was captured here for me. The main character, Cathy was tedious beyond belief, the supernatural elements, well, where were they?! So much could have been explored in this novel and quite frankly, after all the hype I expected a much more accomplished piece of work from Ms Finnegan. I do hate writing reviews like this as she obviously poured her heart and soul into it but for me, my interest faded after the first couple of chapters. Maybe for book two she could try to avoid the media hype and just get on with writing a good story which I am sure she is capable of. It's a shame really as all the publicity leading up to the publication for this seems to have done more harm than good but I do hope these negative reviews don't put her off. To be able to write anything must be wonderful and for her effort we must cut her some slack so let's hope book two proves to be more interesting, so sorry.

The Secret Keeper
The Secret Keeper
by Kate Morton
Price: 9.45

4.0 out of 5 stars A "stick with it" novel!, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Secret Keeper (Hardcover)
I will not describe this story as it has been exceptionally well covered by other reviewers but I do have a few comments to make. It starts very slowly, so slow in fact I found the initial 250 pages a little tedious at times. As you reach further into the story however and discover more about Jimmy and especially Vivien, that's when, for me it really took off. If I had one critisisim alone it would be that I would have loved much more on Vivien, as under the care, skill and guidance of Ms Morton's pen I feel she could have contributed so much more to this tale. It spans the days of the London Blitz with such delicious descriptions you can almost smell the atmosphere jumping from the pages and although I did work out the twist early on, when it came I was still moved to tears and that is simply down to this author's fantastic ability to capture an atmosphere. I would highly recommend it especially if you are a fan of Kate's as her flowery and almost fairy tale way of writing captivates and transports the reader back to the days when writers really could spin a yarn! A good old fashioned romance, very satisfying and one to keep.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20