Profile for Paul W > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
View From the Sixth Floor:: An Oswald Tale
View From the Sixth Floor:: An Oswald Tale

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and entertaining, 13 Jan. 2016
This is an intriguing and entertaining read. The initial premise - that Lee Harvey Oswald survives Jack Ruby's assassination attempt and goes on to live anonymously somewhere in the USA is not too hard to accept for the purposes of fiction given that reality seems to outstrip fiction in its wayward bizarreness these days. I picked this out to read as a Brit old enough to remember where and when I was when it was announced that the American President, John F Kennedy, had been shot in Dallas. My mother was ironing clothes and even now that smell of a hot iron on new laundered sheets takes me straight back. This novel presents an alternative reality and is a well written tale,

Played to Death: A Scott Drayco Mystery (Scott Drayco Mystery Series Book 1)
Played to Death: A Scott Drayco Mystery (Scott Drayco Mystery Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read - something to get your teeth into., 15 Dec. 2015
I love a good crime mystery but I am often disappointed. Not disappointed by this one though. Well written, intelligent plot and plenty of interwoven threads some of which get stronger leading to the denouement and others which peter out leaving you half wondering whether they will return in another story. I hate something that ties everything up too neatly - real life just isn't like that.

The descriptive parts are evocative and the characters believable. Well done.

Chef Maurice and a Spot of Truffle (Chef Maurice Cotswold Mysteries Book 1)
Chef Maurice and a Spot of Truffle (Chef Maurice Cotswold Mysteries Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuisine caper, 7 Dec. 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this fairly gentle tale of murder most foul. Chef Maurice is an appealing character and his tenacious approach to finding both murderer and truffles is highly entertaining. Recommended.

Never Tell
Never Tell

4.0 out of 5 stars Debauched students, Tough investigative journalist, Swamped yummy mummy. Lots to entertain, 7 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Never Tell (Kindle Edition)
Well written and pretty gripping. I would have given it five stars if there had not been a few times when I felt certain things were being repeated more often than was necessary. The plotting is clever and there enough little near contemporary asides and political digs to make you smile between the darker parts. An excellent read.

Political Thriller: THE SECOND OLDEST PROFESSION: A political thriller mystery series... (BENNINGTON P.I. Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars The seamy side, 7 Dec. 2015
Normally political novels are not my thing, especially American political novels but this one really appealed. The characters were suitably flawed and their frenetic lifestyles quite believable. A good read. I shall try another by this author soon.

Master Of War: The Blooding: Part one of an epic adventure set during the Hundred Years' War

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody realism in a brutal age., 7 Dec. 2015
I read this story in one session. I had been lying awake and decided to try something on my Kindle (on smartphone). Kept me going for four hours straight without dropping asleep. Definitely at the ripping yarn end of the scale. Plenty of mayhem and violence but a sound historical basis. I am sure I noticed a couple of minor bloopers but if I did I cannot remember them now.

I thought that the battle scenes were well written, especially the siege and fall of Caen. The finale at Crecy inevitably enjoys some artistic license but it conveyed the brutality of the battle and the sheer exhaustion of the armies after the battle. Well done. I shall try the next part soon.

Sins of the Past
Sins of the Past

3.0 out of 5 stars A tricky task to write of the near past., 3 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Sins of the Past (Kindle Edition)
This story has some good elements and is reasonably well written. I would have given it four stars if the setting both in time and place had worked a bit better. Writing a story set in the past is a lot easier if it is about a point in time that no one living can remember. The author chose to set the story in a period that may potential readers will have their own memories of and in this case did not quite succeed in making it convincing for me. In some senses the simplicity of a world pre-internet and smartphone might appeal but it was perhaps not quite grim and grimy enough to seem real.

Having said all that I admire anyone willing to put their work out there and hope the author persists with the stories and hones the scene setting more.

Strictly Murder (The Verity Long Mysteries Book 1)
Strictly Murder (The Verity Long Mysteries Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Strictly Entertaining., 18 Nov. 2015
An entertaining plot. Well written with a distinctive style which appealed to my taste. Nice to read a send up of the reality TV genre.

Mercenary
Mercenary

4.0 out of 5 stars Larger than life - stranger than fiction., 7 July 2015
This review is from: Mercenary (Kindle Edition)
A good example of truth (allowing for artistic licence to produce a flowing narrative) being stranger than fiction. A larger than life character, a flawed hero and an inspiring read. Do they make people like this anymore? Only time will tell. This book reminded me of "Lost Lion of Empire" the story of Ewart Grogan and if you enjoy Mercenary you might find this story to your taste as well.

DANGER FOR RED a gripping mystery full of secrets
DANGER FOR RED a gripping mystery full of secrets

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good plot elements - a writer to watch, 7 July 2015
I did enjoy this novel. I think 4 stars is a tad generous on my part and if half stars were possible it would have been 3.5. There are some really interesting elements to the story but it does occasionally feel like a series of shorter pieces of writing joined together a bit clumsily. Having said that this writer has potential. Keep an eye out for new stories.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4