Profile for Paulo E. Reichert > Reviews

Content by Paulo E. Reichert

Paulo E. Reichert "preichert" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Mobile Game Design Essentials
Mobile Game Design Essentials
by Dr. Claudio Scolastici

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid unless you have absolutely no clue of where to start., 10 April 2016
This book is very basic. I skimmed through it in about 2 hours reading bits of a few sections but even the ones that I thought would be of value to me giving specific areas that I don't know where so basic and high level that at the end of it I feel like it has added 0 to my knowledge and most of its contents are available for free online.

Unless you have never done any research at all on game development, this book is of no value.

24 inch Dell P2415Q 4K Monitor LED - IPS
24 inch Dell P2415Q 4K Monitor LED - IPS

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want this screen buy it directly from DELL., 18 Jan. 2016
The monitor is great but make sure you ONLY buy directly from Dell. In a case of the PC industry letting itself down again, the first version of this display (REV A01) has problems with not waking from sleep forcing the user to turn the monitor off and on again and sometimes it just won't work at all, forcing the display to be unplugged from the mains to force a full reboot. When contacting Dell support they told me that they don't advise anybody to purchase their products from other retailers as these are old stock. Dell themselves are now shipping REV A03.

From the consumer point of view this is unacceptable from both Dell and the retailer. Dell should stand by the product they put on the market and if there was an issue with REV A01 they should have recalled it. Not doing so is irresponsible and unfair to customers that did purchase the earlier versions. The retailer also should be aware that they are in fact selling a defective product.

If you want an example of Dell's advice on this matter check http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19650858.

In the end, the customer pays the price. Luckily I noticed the problems within 48 hours of owning the monitor and after searching Dell's technical support forums and seeing their responses decided quickly that I wouldn't stick with something that is not fit for purpose.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2016 4:35 PM GMT

Logitech Ultrathin Magnetic Clip On Keyboard for iPad Air 2 - Black, UK Qwerty Layout

4.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard, poor cover., 22 Dec. 2015
If you're going to use this keyboard primarily as a keyboard and the cover feature is not important then this may be a 5-star product. The keyboard is well designed, has good size keys, good gaps between the keys and an assortment of shortcut keys that make it really useful on iOS. With iOS 9's new keyboard features it becomes even more useful and the elimination of need to charge it is also great. It certainly is a much better keyboard than the one Apple released for the iPad Pro.

As a cover, however, it is not good. The new hinge mechanism is nowhere near as good as the one on the previous Ultrathin for the original iPad Air.

SLODA New Laptop Battery for Apple A1309 A1297 Unibody MacBook Pro 17"(2009 Version Early 2009 Mid-2009 Mid-2010) fits: MC226*/A MC226CH/A MC226J/A MC226LL/A MC226TA/A MC226ZP/A [Li-Polymer]
Offered by SLODA Power

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless. Don't bother., 22 Dec. 2015
Don't waste your time and money. I have a Mid-2010 17 inches MBP and the original battery now stores about 45% of the original charging capacity ~6500mAh. On that I can get between 2-3 hours of use of the laptop.

This new battery came labeled as a 13000mAh (advertised by Amazon as 10800mAh) and when I plugged it in and checked with coconutBattery it seemed to be good for that) but the battery wouldn't last 2 hours from fully charged. I got between 1:30 and 1:45 hours off of a full charge.

24 hours after installing the battery on the laptop, coconutBattery was indicating that it had lost already 5% of its designed capacity, allowing a maximum charge of less than 12500mAh.

I unplugged the battery now and returned to Amazon. Complete waste of time.

PanzerGlass Screen Protector for Apple iPad Air
PanzerGlass Screen Protector for Apple iPad Air

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the newer version for phones, 3 Nov. 2015
This protector does its job th a number of drawbacks.

- it kollects fingerprints and smudges like nothing else. Far worse than the naked screen
- it's thick
- it's fragile because of its size
- while the phone ones have rounded edges, this one has square edges which make it noticeable to touch and mine has got a chip in one edge after less than 2 weeks use, even though I haven't hit the device anywhere (no marks on the aluminium around it)
- it is cut to surround the home button and that slim piece of glass below the button came cracked as I took it out of the package
- because it surrounds e home button, it makes it st little bit harder to use the Touch ID as now it is a bit more receded than otherwise.

I'm going to look for an alternative, tbh. The ones for phone are superb but this one for iPad needs a few changes to be good.

PanzerGlass Protective Anti Scratch Fluid Resistant Glass Screen Protector Shield for iPhone 6 Plus/6S Plus - Clear

4.0 out of 5 stars Great protection but should cover a bit more of the screen, 1 Nov. 2015
This protector is great. I cannot believe how scratch resistant it is: I tried my hardest to scratch it with keys and no matter how vigorously I rub them against the screen, it comes out completely unscathed. I managed to break one by stabbing it with a key tip and some substantial force but that's unlikely to happen in normal usage.

Application is easy as long as the phone screen is thoroughly clean. The alcohol wipe that comes with it does a great job. It can also be removed and reapplied if necessary. Positioning it is easy as it is rigid and as long as you align it against something like the home button or the speaker on top of the phone it falls in place perfectly.

The star I detracted from it is because the model for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus could be longer and wider. The package justifies its size due to the curved edges of the phone but it stops short of where the curvature begins and the gap between the end of the protector and the edges of the case become a dust and dirt trap.

Still an excellent product and leaves me feeling safe that I can treat my phone roughly and it won't be damaged.

24-peg Cedar Tie Rack Strip (L46 x H5cm)
24-peg Cedar Tie Rack Strip (L46 x H5cm)
Offered by The Holding Company

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 18 May 2015
Great solution for storing ties and it can hold 24 of them. Finish could be better but otherwise a great product at a reasonable price.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 Closed Circumaural Over-Ear Headphone - Ivory (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Picsio

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cans., 16 Jan. 2015
These sound great, are comfortable and in Ivory look stunning.

Livescribe 3 Smartpen Pro Edition for Android & iOS Tablets and Smartphones
Livescribe 3 Smartpen Pro Edition for Android & iOS Tablets and Smartphones

4.0 out of 5 stars The best solution for digital note-taking on iOS., 16 Jan. 2015
I have used the Livescribe 3 for a few days and here are my thoughts:

Design:
The looks more like a normal pen than previous versions. People don't realise that I'm writing with a smartpen until I mention, some just thinking that I am using some luxury pen given its size and shape. The materials could be better though: it feels like it is made of cheap plastic and I would appreciate if they upgraded the materials so it felt more solid. I do not feel like I could subject it to the same abuse that premium pen would take without breaking it.

The pen is very comfortable to use, the size not being an issue. I am left-handed and have no problems writing with it. Also it doesn't matter how you hold the pen (camera above nib or under) as it seems to read the paper always successfully. The only slight change I had to make to my writing is to ensure that I always lift the nib clearly off the paper to move to a new position to start a new word, otherwise it may end up capturing a line in between the words. Otherwise my writing style has remained unchanged.

Functionality:
The pen itself hasn't missed a beat. Ever stroke is accurately captured and rendered on screen. The pen can work tethered to the device and you can see your text appear with little lag or what I find more useful, I can take pen and paper to a meeting, do extensive note-taking and when back to my desk I just have to open the app I want to use to keep the notes and it takes care of the rest. All data gets sync'ed seamlessly. Also the commands embedded in the paper are useful. The only time I need my device with me is if I want to record voice as well, but given that I'm not capturing lectures that is not such a big thing for me and most of the time I really only care about the written notes.

Software:
For now this is a bit lacking. The pen is compatible with Livescribe's own app for iOS (Livescribe+) and Noteshelf. I have tried both and neither offers a complete solution:
Livescribe+ supports all the pen's features, incl. voice, but it does not offer any editing functionality for the digital notes. Also all the export and sync functions rely on PDF or PNG files.

Noteshelf on the other hand supports extensive editing of the digital notes but does not support the voice recordings offered by the pen and for some reason, although native Noteshelf notebooks can be sync'ed to Evernote, Livescribe notebooks within the app don't offer the same feature.

Also the fact that you can only synchronise notes with one application, never with both, is a bother. I started using the journal that I received with the pen with Livescribe+ and then switched to Noteshelf and the pages synchronised to one app appear blank on the other and vice-versa. I whish there was a way to force synchronisation of notes with both so I could, whilst evaluating what app fits my workflow better, have my notes in both.

Paper:
There is a wide range of paper available for the pen. The journal that comes with it is quite nice, A5-size. I have also bought a set of 4 A4 notebooks that come numbered 1-4, 80 pages each. I find that the cost of the Livescribe dot Paper is about 50% higher than regular paper, but given that the cost is not that high I think it is good value for money. There are flip-pads, A5 notebooks and even sticky notes available for the pen so I think it can fulfill pretty much any needs in that area.

The micro-dots on the paper are unobtrusive but they do make the paper look slightly darker. Nothing upsetting.

Conclusion:
I have tried solutions from Wacom and Adonit for note taking with the iPad and ditched both. For a left-handed person that rubs the hand on the paper/screen when writing, these solutions just don't work. Palm rejection for me is a gimmick at best and don't allow me to write naturally. The Livescribe solution on the other hand relies on good old fashioned paper and because of that, it works perfectly. It gives me the flexibility of carrying only my notebook with me into a meeting, I can search the pages quickly to look up notes from previous meetings and so on without annoying other people whilst I try to make my gadgets work and when I get back to my desk I can sync it all seamlessly to my device.

The software needs lots of improvement though to better allow me to access my notes from a computer, store my data in a cloud storage (iCloud, Dropbox, Evernote, whatever) and sync across multiple devices. They have released a firmware recently that promises to add support to a number of features to be enabled in upcoming releases of Livescribe+ but do not specify what these features are so there is hope that they will revamp over the next few months.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2015 12:26 AM GMT

Schrödinger's Killer App: Race to Build the World's First Quantum Computer
Schrödinger's Killer App: Race to Build the World's First Quantum Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and thought provoking, 8 Nov. 2013
I enjoyed reading this book immensely. It has given me a broader overview of where quantum physics is at, gave me some food for thought on what are the real killer applications of it and enticed me to go find out more. The author is funny and many of the anecdotes are very enjoyable even if long and overly detailed sometimes. I still highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5