Profile for A. Patterson > Reviews

Content by A. Patterson

A. Patterson (London, England)

Samsung SCX-4623FN Black Mono Laser Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax (Network Connectivity, All-In-One)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 24 May 2011
Having had an old HP3030 all in one laser before which had done a stirling job - I opted this time for the Samsung. First impressions were good - print is quick and clear and the size is OK. However, within a short period of time the printer developed a bad paper feed problem - printing more than a 5-6 pages the pinter would suddenly spew out 6-5 pages at once and the pinter would then jam. Wasted lots of paper on this and it seems to be a recurring problem. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem - but we will have to send it back. Not sure whether to go back to HP. Just bought a hp mono laser (not all in one) which has been excellent - so that might sway me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2013 5:49 PM GMT

Navigon 4350 max - GPS receiver - automotive - flash 2 GB - 4.3" - widescreen
Navigon 4350 max - GPS receiver - automotive - flash 2 GB - 4.3" - widescreen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget!, 8 Dec 2009
This is my first SatNav - so I don't have any real means of direct comparison other than hearing what others have said about theirs. Hearing some swear by TomTom or Garmin - and others curse the day they bought one - I did do quite a lot of research before taking the plunge. All I can say is look at the stats - visit major Sat Nav retailers (Halfords, Amazon etc) and look at the reviews. You will struggle to find a really bad review for Navigon and the 4350. The graphics are good, it gives you several routes to choose from, is accurate and comes with lots of features which I have found invaluable. So far it's done the business and I've been very impressed on all fronts. The deal to have updates for 2 years for 15 is a bargain - but I did have trouble using the Navigon website, which is not as intuitive as it could be. Sometimes it can take a couple of minutes at start up to find the satellite, which can be a little frustrating, but other than that, this is a great piece of kit. Off to France for a few days to put it through its paces on the Continent, but confident will won't let me down.

Counterfeit Gods: When the Empty Promises of Love, Money, and Power Let You Down
by Timothy J. Keller

5.0 out of 5 stars Perceptive insight into the heart of our problem, 9 Nov 2009
Keller invites us to explore our deepest longings and motivations and to wean us off the gods that we pursue, by directing us to Jesus Christ. Although this book is, in many ways, a challenging, even a painful book to read as it lays bear the longings of our own hearts, it offers fresh hope for those of us whose gods have let us down.

In an accessible and masterful way, Keller reveals how we can take good things (career, love, family, material things) and make them "ultimate" things - seeking in them a security and fulfillment that are are never unable to deliver. He is also realistic about the hold that our idols have upon us, recognising that only a living encounter with God can deal with their stubbornness, as Christ himself becomes what it ultimate in our lives. Time after time, Keller shows us that the answer to the slavery that idols bring - is not simply to love these good things less - but to love Christ more, and throughout this short book, Keller's insightful exploration of the gospel through some of the familiar stories of the bible, helps and encourages us to do this.

I can't recommend this book too highly and I'm itching to read it with others and to allow its message and insights to work more deeply in me.

Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer
Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer

3.0 out of 5 stars It was cheap..., 4 April 2009
I read some good reviews about this printer in terms of print quality. I've yet to be wowed by it on this front - the text is not as crisp as I hoped and I find for some reason that there is a loss of crispness in the same parts of a printed page (the middle). I will see if this settles down, but an old HP 2600n I've been using up until now used to do a much better job - though I am told that the Del is more economical regards toner.
As a mac user, it's been a bit tricky setting up the printer to run on my mac - less problems from my PC. The only way I've managed to print from my powerbook is as a network printer rather than using the USB (there's no support for mac users on the accompanying CD and so you will need to find a driver from the Del website)
Printing images - the printer performs well - no complaints here. And, at the end of the day, I only paid about 80 this printer, so I guess I shouldn't really complain.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2010 3:09 PM GMT

Handel: Messiah (DG The Originals)
Handel: Messiah (DG The Originals)
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy!, 28 Dec 2008
I bought this recording almost 20 years ago and it still is one that I come back to again and again. The recording quality (like much of the Archiv otuput) is excellent, and the choir and orchestra are first rate. There are no disappointing soloists - and all combine to provide and thrilling rendition of this great Oratorio. Even if you aren't a big fan of original instruments, the warmth and vibrancy of this recording are at times profoundly moving. I can't recommend this recording highly enough.

Slick iPod Nano 2nd Gen FM Transmitter Car Kit
Slick iPod Nano 2nd Gen FM Transmitter Car Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 1 Sep 2008
I bought this before going on holiday and was tired of carting around loads of CDs and using a crude walkman hooked up to the tape deck of my car. I didn't try it out before we set off, but the gizmo was very simple to set up (about 30 seconds) and worked like a dream. The connection into the lighter was secure and the tilting arm meant it was quite easy to operate. Sound quality is excellent and it is, as one reviewer said, as good as playing a CD. If there is one small negative - as we travelled some distance and passed in and out of range of various stations we did need to find a new free channel from time to time and while adjusting the frequency on the radio was easy, it was a little more fiddly on the transmitter as the adjustment buttons were very small.
All in all a great invention that does exactly what it says it does. I wish I had discovered this years ago.

The Because Approach: Innovating Church for All
The Because Approach: Innovating Church for All
by Andrew Baughen

5.0 out of 5 stars Biblical and practical wisdom for reaching our communities with the gospel., 24 Jan 2007
This is a book quite unlike anything I've ever read before. The Because Approach: Innovating Church for All is fantastic tool for individuals, small groups and churches to help us think about how we become more outward- and mission- focused, offering practical help in thinking strategically about how we reach our friends and communities with the good news of Jesus. Part of the book's beauty is in its simplicity and presentation - although it contains profound truths and insights it is, at the same time, very readable and clear. The book is divided up into 6 sections which cover the most important aspects of how we go about fulfilling Christ's commission to make disciples, and is peppered with illustrations and practical suggestions. Perhaps what this book does best is help Christians and Churches think strategically and intentionally about what they are doing, challenging the rather random and "ad hoc" approaches that often characterise our efforts. As the title suggests, it encourages us to as the "why?" questions regards our approaches and activities, and I have found that it has provided more than just a few "useful tips" but a whole new way of thinking about reaching those around me. This is a great resource for the local church - buy it!