Profile for MARK CUNNINGHAM > Reviews

Content by MARK CUNNINGHAM

MARK CUNNINGHAM "wordy wordsmith" (Essex, UK)

Wings Over America
Wings Over America
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST-EVER LIVE ALBUM JUST GOT EVEN BETTER, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Wings Over America (Audio CD)
I'm a sucker for box sets but quite often I'm left feeling that a little more consideration could have been applied to the content. That's far from the case with the deluxe edition of the new Wings Over America reissue which is quite possibly the most impressive and engaging 'legacy' box set I've ever seen.

This is McCartney at the very top of his game, post-Beatles, performing with the finest Wings line-up. The slightly muddy sound of the original album has been brightened up just enough to make a positive difference, and the addition of a third disc with alternative selections from a show in San Francisco, plus a DVD containing a remastered update of the fascinating 'Wings Over The World' documentary make the collection an absolute must-have for any fan of Macca's challenging 1970s period.

But that's just the start. The printed matter that accompanies the discs is arguably worth the price of the set alone, especially the faux leather-bound portfolio containing faithful reproductions of tour itineraries, set design drawings, set list, ticket stubs, VIP passes, posters, tour programme, promo photos and, well, you name it, it's all there. Add another three beautiful volumes containing inspired journalism from David Fricke, intimate travelogue photography by Robert Ellis and Linda McCartney, and sketchbook art by Humphrey Ocean, and you have a truly lovingly assembled document that represents an iconic moment in concert history.

100% recommended.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2013 11:33 AM BST

Life on Mars : Complete BBC Series 2 [2007] [DVD]
Life on Mars : Complete BBC Series 2 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Simm
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDINGLY BRILLIANT, 12 April 2007
Five stars aren't enough... having missed three of Series 1's episodes, I immediately bought the DVD set upon release and watched the whole series over one very wine-fuelled night. I was hooked. For me, Series 2 was even more infectious and, having been a kid in '73, I could relate to so much that it often proved to be an emotional experience. I cannot remember a more gripping and entertaining TV series. It's a work of sheer genius. Naturally, I pre-ordered my Series 2 DVD set weeks ago. Time to buy more wine and unplug the phone!

Dancing With Strangers (3 Bonus Tracks)
Dancing With Strangers (3 Bonus Tracks)

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTE CLASSIC, 5 Oct. 2006
I've had this in my life (on vinyl, cassette and CD) since it came out in 1987. For me it's the best body of work Chris made during the 1980s. Yes, even more so than The Road To Hell. There are no weak moments, although it has to be said that September Blue never fails to leave me weak, emotionally... it's such a simple, poignant, beautiful song. An album that reminds me of a great time, it still gets regular plays at home and in the car. Highly recommended, especially to a Rea newcomer.