Profile for Rob Cameron > Reviews

Content by Rob Cameron

Rob Cameron (Hampshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Canon PowerShot SX220 HS Digital Camera - Grey (12.1MP, 14x Optical Zoom)  3.0 inch LCD
Canon PowerShot SX220 HS Digital Camera - Grey (12.1MP, 14x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact cameras keep getting better, 28 Aug. 2011
I recently bought this camera to replace my Powershot SX100 which I've had for three years. Although the previous camera still works like new, I wanted to take advantage of some of the new features of the SX220.

I am very impressed with the SX220. It is a relatively small camera (smaller than the SX100) and is easy to take with me when out walking. I have also purchased a Lowepro Apex 20AW Digital Camera Pouch - Black weatherproof case for it, in which it fits very well.
The quality of general outdoor photography is very good, with a large choice of frame shapes and sizes but I was particularly impressed the indoor (low light) performance, which is so much better than previous generation compact cameras. The quality of the image stabilised lens is very good and it has a zoom range equivalent to 28mm to 390mm (in 35mm terms) which is good enough for almost all occasions.

There are many special shooting modes for still pictures allowing levels of creativity not normally available to compact camera users. It has face recognition as you would expect but also has automatic shooting modes that look for smiles. It is even possible to control the camera during self-portraits by winking at it!

There is also a variety of different movie modes, including several HD options. Again there are many creative modes including slow motion and fast motion, which I have never seen on a camera of this price. My only criticism of the movie modes is that the frame rate is 30 fps (24fps for full HD mode) which is not directly compatible with UK TV standards (25 fps) and can cause slight juddering when played back through the television.

The paper manual supplied with the camera is a simplified version that does not explain the complex functions of the camera. The electronic version of the manual, supplied on the CD and downloadable from canon's website, is more comprehensive but not definitive. Some experimentation is required to get to grips with some of the camera's features.

If you are looking for a compact point-and-shoot camera that will also allow a high level of creative control then this camera is well worth consideration.

Blackspur BB-DS154 Disposable Shoe Cover Set
Blackspur BB-DS154 Disposable Shoe Cover Set
Offered by Aaron Chemicals Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for ramblers that like a pub-stop en-route, 13 April 2011
I bought these over-shoes to put over my walking boots when popping into a pub on a winter ramble in the countryside. These are much more convenient than taking off muddy boots before going into the pub and putting them back on again afterwards. Although these over-shoes are disposable, if used carefully they can be reused several times.

The Goodies ...At Last - Back For More, Again [DVD]
The Goodies ...At Last - Back For More, Again [DVD]
Dvd ~ Graeme Garden

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good selection of vintage Goodies episodes, 30 Dec. 2010
Anyone who was a fan of the Goodies during the 1970s will no doubt remember the Goodies Rule OK where a puppet government included a giant Dougal and Zebedee but there are a number of other (possibly less well remembered) gems on this CD. One of the episodes has Raymond Baxter presenting Tomorrow's World in a string vest!

This is the third Goodies DVD to be released since 2003. Each disc contains a mixture of episodes, some of which are showing their age but will still bring a smile to your face, while others are timeless and will have you in stitches! No Goodies fan should be without all three of these DVDs.

Ex-Pro® Premium replacement for Canon HTC-100, HTC100 - 3m HDMI Cable For Digital Imaging Units
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap alternative to the Canon product, 30 Dec. 2010
I bought this cable for use with my Canon EOS 60D. It works very well and gives stunning picture quality.
This after-market cable represents a considerable saving over the genuine Canon accessory cable.

Doctor Who And The Daemons (Classic Novels)
Doctor Who And The Daemons (Classic Novels)
by Barry Letts
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine reading of a fine book, 11 May 2010
I bought this after hearing Barry Letts reading his autobiographical book "Who and Me" on BBC Radio 7. Finding his voice and reading style very pleasant, I thought I'd buy this reading of a story that I just about remember seeing the first time round in the early seventies. I wasn't disappointed. It makes very good listening.
Barry Letts co-wrote The Daemons with Robert Sloman whilst he was producer of the show and he also wrote the 'novelisation' of that story for Target books in the mid seventies. The Target novelisations were the only way of reliving Doctor Who stories before VHS tape and they could represent the original story with varying degrees of accuracy, depending on the writer's imagination and poetic license. Barry has stuck to the original story quite faithfully but has added more depth to the characters, which helps make it feel more like a book that a converted script.
Sadly Barry died last year but we are lucky in that he had already recorded readings of this story and "Who and Me" for posterity.

Red Dwarf - Back to Earth [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Red Dwarf - Back to Earth [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Chris Barrie

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a second look, 20 Feb. 2010
I saw this "final series" when it was first shown on Dave. Having been a fan of Red Dwarf when it was originally shown on BBC I was intrigued as to how this would work so long after the original last series was made. Furthermore I had felt that the show had started to lose its momentum by series seven and eight so I was a little cautious about this new series. I remember enjoying it but not being over impressed.
I bought this on DVD for completeness as I had all the previous episodes on the two "Just The Shows" volumes. I enjoyed it much more on seeing it a second time and am glad I decided to buy it. The actors seem to slip back into their roles quite naturally despite such a long break. The story re-uses some ideas from the original show but with a twist, and it pays homage to Blade Runner in rather obvious but very successful way. If you a Red Dwarf fan I would definitely consider getting this as it is certainly a return to form and completes the Red Dwarf cannon.
I bought this one on Blu-Ray and was very impressed with the quality of the photography and the effects.

Fly Yellow Moon
Fly Yellow Moon
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars An eclectic mix of musical styles, 20 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Fly Yellow Moon (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of hearing one track "She Needs Me" on the radio. This track very much reminded me of the Electric Light Orchestra, which I was a big fan of as a child. The other tracks on the album do not sound like this but are equally good in other ways and represent a good selection of modern and traditional musical styles. I am certainly impressed with his music and will lookout for future albums.

Bleak Expectations: The Complete Second Series: Series 2 (Bleak Expectations Complete Series)
by Mark Evans
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Second series continues the excellent standard of the first, 24 Jan. 2010
If you've listened to the first series you will know how clever and funny Bleak Expectations can be. Series two is no disappointment. With Anthony Head's Mr Gently Benevolent brought back to life and the Sternbeater family replacing the Hardthrashers, the saga continues as fresh as ever. If you enjoyed the first series then you must buy the second series. (The third series will be out soon. I look forward to that.)

3m HDMI Cable - Premium Quality / v1.3 (Latest Version) / 1080p (FULL HD) / Audio / Video / Digital / PS3 / Male to Male / HDTV
Offered by World of Data Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 2 Nov. 2009
I bought this product because I needed a 3 metre HDMI cable and did not want to pay the astonishingly high prices that these cables sell for in high street shops. At 5 pounds you get a good quality cable that meets the HDMI specification and produces a picture that is indistinguishable from the gold-plated alternatives at eight times the price. Why pay more?

Highland Perthshire (25 Walks)
Highland Perthshire (25 Walks)
by Roger Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars A selection of good walks, 2 Nov. 2009
I bought this book before going on holiday to Pitlochry. (I've never been there before.) The walks described in the book are all within a sensible distance of that town, which was my main reason for buying the book.
I only had time to try a few of the walks described but they were easy to follow and led me through interesting and picturesque countryside. The walk descriptions also contain interesting information about the local area and a selection of photographs to give you a taste of what to expect.
The book is designed for people with a sensible level of fitness who like walking and enjoying good views. It is not really intended for "Munro bagger's" or those who want challenging walks.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is taking a holiday in that area of Perthshire.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4