Profile for sasco > Reviews

Always Managing: My Autobiography
Always Managing: My Autobiography
by Harry Redknapp

4.0 out of 5 stars Some very funny stories, 14 Feb 2014
This is a book for Harry Redknapp admirers. If you don’t like the guy, or don’t find him entertaining, don’t buy the book—simple.
This isn’t a read which will improve your vocabulary or grammar and it does occasionally go around in circles but looking beyond that I find Redknapp to be hugely entertaining—hence I purchased the book.

It didn’t let me down as the money was well spent just reading Redknapp’s anecdotes of Paolo Di Canio and Steve Claridge amongst others. Some stories had me in absolute pieces and that is exactly what a sporting autobiography from a comical character should do. If you are an avid, light-hearted football fan this is a must read.

Authentic RDX Dipping Belt body building weight Dip Lifting Chain
Authentic RDX Dipping Belt body building weight Dip Lifting Chain
Offered by B2Fitness

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 14 Feb 2014
So far, so good. Really practical and very durable.
I read reviews before purchasing, that 40kg could end up ripping it apart but I've gone upto 50kg without any problems.
It's pretty comfortable until you hit the 40kg mark. At that point, the belt really digs into your midsection but this is more a gravity issue than a product issue.

I have owned a weights vest in the past which was probably better for a workout but hugely impractical plus more expensive. If you want to add weight for your dips and pull-ups and even squats (elevated on two boxes - one foot on each), this is the best value for money option.

Soccer Systems and Strategies
Soccer Systems and Strategies
by Jens Bangsbo

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful reference book, 30 Oct 2013
Of all the football books I purchased as a coach, this is the most practical with clear guides on different formations and tactics, whilst keeping it all in a relatively simple format.

The book is very easy to follow and this became an effective reference book which worked very well for me (I coached adults at a top amateur level). That said, there may be updated versions now though.

Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics: A History of Football Tactics
by Jonathan Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Most insightful tactics book out there, 30 Oct 2013
In the last 5 years or so, I have purchased endless football books and this is head and shoulders the absolute best.

If you want to be knowledgeable about the evolution of football tactics from the sport's inception, look no further.

Even as a coach, this book is an eye opener and certainly inspired some invaluable new ideas on the pitch.

There is a huge amount of information to take on-board but in my opinion, more is better than not enough. Patience is a virtue.

Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
by Dan Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 30 Oct 2013
You know what to expect with Dan Brown. It's an enjoyable read which can be completed in a few days.

Quite fast paced but the central character seems to be leaning more towards being a secret agent than professor.

I did like the essence of the story but the ending was awful (I wont spoil any of it), hence three stars.

Huge potential to turn this into a movie (probably why it was written) - albeit with a huge improvement on the ending.

La Roja: A Journey Through Spanish Football
La Roja: A Journey Through Spanish Football
by Jimmy Burns

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly researched, 30 Oct 2013
Another excellent book by Jimmy Burns.
Well researched and well written, this is an extremely insightful account of the history of Spanish football.

My only criticism (very slight one at that) - is that one could easily be overwhelmed with the sheer volume of information presented but then again it makes it a thorough and comprehensive read. Better to have too much information than too little.

So taking this into consideration, for those with a keen interest in Spanish football, this is a must and an excellent reference book.

Ajax Training Sessions
Ajax Training Sessions
by Jorrit Smink

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference book, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Ajax Training Sessions (Paperback)
Over the years, I have collected many football coaching books and they all have pros and cons. No different here. However, this book was a handy guide on choosing some drills which I had never seen before, which although technically challenging, always freshens up monotonous training sessions. One of my better purchases.

Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
by Dan John

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 7 Oct 2013
I have been training for over 15 years now. For me, this is the most enjoyable weight training book I have read.

Albeit John's jokes aren't funny and his writing style may not be everyone's cup of tea but the book, importantly, held my attention as opposed to the usual training books which are dry and essentially idiots' guides to weight training. "Stand here, do this" etc.

I made pages of notes from this book and as a result my own workouts, and those I administer, are the most varied and enjoyable they've ever been. If you can think outside of the box and need a bit of inspiration, this book should be a priority purchase.

That said, if you are a meathead, who is resistant to change, with Monday being chest and biceps day for the last 10 years, this book isn't for you.

The First 20 Minutes: The Surprising Science of How We Can Exercise Better, Train Smarter and Live Longer
by Gretchen Reynolds

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 7 Oct 2013
Although interesting areas are covered, much of the `ground breaking scientific discoveries' are contradicted throughout the book.

One significant point which really let this book down, in my opinion, was the fat vs carbs issue. Rather than address the paleo diet for example, the author simply states that high fat diets are unhealthy, solely addressing unhealthy fats--which is stating the obvious.

Fat based diets are not about frying your food and drinking a gallon of vegetable oil a day. It's about good fats, such as avocados, nuts etc. These diets (minimising carbs) have been effectively demonstrated as a good thing for the last few years (i.e. Primal & Dr Peter Attia) so given this book completely missed this, it makes me question just how much research was carried out in other areas.

Overall, I can summarise this book in one sentence. Being active is better than not being active. That's essentially it. Save your money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 6:47 AM BST