Profile for Minka > Reviews

Minka (England)

Braun Silk-épil Xelle 5585 Body & Face Epilator
Braun Silk-épil Xelle 5585 Body & Face Epilator

5.0 out of 5 stars Silk epil... silk appeal!, 29 Oct 2007
There have always been two things that have stood in my way when it's come to gaining silky-smooth legs: firstly, my tight student budget which rules out spending a bomb on wax, and secondly, my heinously sensitive skin that breaks out in a rash if I even so much as look at a razor or hair-removal cream. The silk epil seemed like the perfect solution for me... and how right I was!

I won't lie and say that epilating is entirely pain free, but I can certainly attest that it hurts less than waxing and although my skin was a little pink after use, it did not nick me or give my skin the unpleasant rash that I've come to associate with shaving. This god-send come with several attachments so that you can remove hair more efficiently from bikini line and armpits, and even your face, if you're feeling brave. The other thing I've found immensely useful is the smart-light that illuminates your skin as you epilate and has meant that I've been able to pick up stray hairs that otherwise I would have missed.

Aside from the inevitable discomfort (and the fact that it's also rather loud) I couldn't recommend this more. It's the smartest buy I've made in a while, and I think it's now safe for me to chuck my old razor out.

Arthur & George
Arthur & George
by Julian Barnes

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful delineation of characters, but slow moving, 6 April 2007
This review is from: Arthur & George (Paperback)
'Arthur and George' is a well written and touching evocation of the characters of two very different men. Barnes' wry and heartfelt style means that as a reader you can't help but forge an emotional connection with the two protagonists. His characterisation throughout is flawless.

However, this is a hefty book to plough through and sometimes it becomes more of a chore than a pleasure. There were times when I felt tempted to skip ahead a few pages because nothing appeared to be happening. However, with other Barnes novels I have read I found his style to be frequently irritating as he tries to prove intellectual points that only seem to be included to prove to the reader what a clever man he is. I was pleased to find that there was little of this in 'Arthur and George.' He focuses on the characters instead of trying to play the annoying game of intellectual one-upmanship.

Overall I would recommend this book, just be warned that it is by no means a light read.

Batman Begins - 1 Disc Edition [DVD] [2005]
Batman Begins - 1 Disc Edition [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Batman to date, 5 April 2007
Batman Begins completely reboots the Batman franchise to make it dark, gritty and absolutely breathtaking. It starts from scratch in documenting how billionaire Bruce Wayne (the brooding and rather delectable Christian Bale) became the legendary vigilante Batman, but before you can say "batmobile" Batman is facing adversaries (a creepy Cillian Murphy and Liam Neeson) who wish to destroy Gotham completely. The story is fast paced with a good balance between action and dialogue. It's certainly a film that you can watch repeatedly.

Although Katy Holmes is given little to do as Bruce's life-long friend and Gotham's district attorney, there are few other holes in the script and the acting is astounding, particularly on Bale's part and with comic turns from Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman

This is, without a doubt, one of my all time favourite films. I'm just regretful that I didn't ever get the opportunity to see it on the big screen.

Driving Test Success 2002/2003 with
Driving Test Success 2002/2003 with

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for theory, inadequat for hazard perception, 4 April 2007
I will sing this product's praise in regards to the theory section. It has about 900 potential questions you could be asked, and it's pretty difficult to fail the theory section if you do enough practices with this CD. In fact a lot of the questions I was asked by this program came up in my real test, hence my score of 34/35.

However, the hazard perception section is poor. There are only a handful of clips that don't prepare you as after a few practices you soon know what is going to happen in them. So although I gained high marks on my question section of the test, I failed by 4 marks in the hazard perception and now have to take the whole thing again.

I'd recommend this for the multiple choice question section, but don't make the mistake I did by relying on it to prepare you for hazard perception.