Profile for Lycanthrope > Reviews

Content by Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Seven Days Sober: A Guide to Discovering What You Really Think About Your Drinking

5.0 out of 5 stars Comforting and Motivating, 29 July 2013
As a binge drinker I wouldn't classify myself as an alcoholic as Meredith certainly was, more of a "problem" drinker. Nevertheless, I found an awful lot in Seven days Sober that has helped me, the bulk of this being reassurance that I'm not the only person on the planet with this problems and guess what, her fears and excuses have a strong correspondance to mine; probably to yours also.

The book is very well written and entertaining, good to read even if you're not trying to kick the booze yourself. As I am though, I found Seven Days Sober a massive confidence boost in my quest to stop drinking as well as a great comforter.

14 days and counting...

Hama RMZ-16 Zoom Directional Microphone
Hama RMZ-16 Zoom Directional Microphone

1.0 out of 5 stars Do'nt waste your money, 11 Feb 2013
I bought this with the idea to improve the sound quality when recording presentations for my Canon D7 and I really wish I hadn't bothered. The only thing this mic appeared to pick up was the roaming signals of the mobile phones in the room along with a huge amount of hiss and ambient noise.

Total rubbish.

Grind The Ocean
Grind The Ocean

5.0 out of 5 stars Very challenging, but worth it..., 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Grind The Ocean (Audio CD)
I was sent the MP3's for this album by the record label, Century Media. Being a fan of more traditional symphonic prog, but not averse to a bit of prog metal he probably thought I'd like it...

The first listen I have to admit that I wasn't too sure whether to puke, crap my pants or pull my eyeballs out. However there was something there that kept drawing me back to it and now, some ten months or so later I can't stop listening to it and I'm ordering the CD.

The musicianship is absolutely phenomenal and the compositions offer a fine balance between chromatic math rigging and sweet chords, machine-gun drums and grooves, screaming and clean vocals, anger and melody.

Worth the effort.

Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
by Melissa Joulwan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for my first Paleo cookbook!, 2 Dec 2012
After being Paleo for some months I felt I had to bring some new flavours to my plate and Melissa Jouwlan's small, but high quality book was a perfect choice for my first Paleo cookbook. Every recipe we've tried so far has been a resounding success, which is tremendously important given that I make all our food now from scratch, nothing pre-processed.

I wouldn't consider myself very skilled at all in the kitchen and yet Melissa's use of spices, heavily influenced by Lebanese cuisine, has allowed me to make stuff I never imagined possible. The Czech Meatballs have become a staple of our diet and the kids absolutely love them and my confidence to try all the other recipes in the books grows with every new meal. You can't go wrong IMO.

[rootatclare's] SGP iPhone 4 / 4S Case Satin Silver
[rootatclare's] SGP iPhone 4 / 4S Case Satin Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice iPhone 4 bumper, 20 Jan 2012
I spent many hours researching to find suitable protection for my shiny white iPhone 4S and this one came top. i was happy to see Amazon UK stoked it an duly ordered. Firstly, my requirement for the case would be that it's unobtrusive, not rubberised, looks nice, makes the phone feel more qecure in the hand and comes with front and rear protection. One concernI had was that with the white iPhone the proximity/light sensor does not function well when a screen protector is applied and many manifacturers now make a cut-out for that, this one does not. But, that being said, it does not inhibit the functioning of the sensor, I can only guess because it's so damn clear! On top of this the two prtector films are quite thick and rocust, which made them very easy to apply with very few air bubbles that were easily pushed out. Only small issue I had was one piece of dust that got undernear - can hardly blame the product for that though!

The fitting of the bumper itself was a piece of cake. It comes in two halves and snaps together, meaning that you don't have to force it over the device. I had the initial impression that it might be rather flimsy, but once on it seems to be quite secure and robust. Unlike the mass of bumpers on the market, this is a hard plastic device, quite slippery in the hand actually, but of course the rounded shape and extra bulk make it much more pleasant to hold than a naked iPhone. This slipperiness has the big advantage that it slides nicely in and out of the pocket in the same way that the official Apple bumper doesn't.

Access to all ports seems to be good although as I only use bluetooth headphines I haven't tested on a range of plugs. Obviously it no longer fits in the iPhine 4 dock adaptor, but I just removed that and use it now on the universal dock without - it sits very comfortably and charges no problem. The volume and power buttons function well with a good tactile response.

In terms of looks it's very nice. The satin silver finish, although a different colour frol the iPhone's satinless steel case, looks nice against the Apple white and the ultra-glossy screen protectors are so close to the finish of the glass underneath that you hardly notice them. The white buttons look good with the white iPhone, but I could imagine would look tacky on a black one.

Very nice product indeed.

Withings White Wifi Body Scale
Withings White Wifi Body Scale
Offered by Roobix Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful scales, 19 Dec 2011
Being an Apple junkie, these scales appealed very much in replacing my recently broken set. Needless to say that they work really well and give a very accurate reading. It's a real motivation to be able to jump on them at will and find your weight nicely tracked the iPad/iPhone. Setup (via Mac) was a piece of cake.

I must admit that I don't really care about the %age fat, just the weighing feature.

Withings seem to have taken note of previous criticism and the scales were supplied with a set of Duracell batteries - that's highly commendable, I've never seen that with a product.

Philips HF3330 goLITE BLU Energy SAD Light
Philips HF3330 goLITE BLU Energy SAD Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Does this thing work? It sure does!, 19 Dec 2011
Well for me at least. Been thinking about getting an SAD light for many years, but like many was somewhat skeptical about the real benefits, plus I wasn't overly impressed with the old-style light-boxes.. Anyhow, I finally jumped in after feeling pretty grumpy since October and liking the look of these new LED devices. Without really expecting too much I've been using this for a week now - 30 minutes on medium power in the morning at my desk before my team start to arrive and it has changed everything. OK, I'm still tired as I tend to go to bed too late, but nevertheless I'm alert. I getting to sleep easier, waking up and springing from the bed. My mind is sharp and my overall mood is much better.

The unit is very well made and the controls are simple (all except setting the time, which I still haven't worked out). It's almost Apple-like in its design, the magnetic stand being very pleasing to use. I would reckon I would get four or five 30 minute half-intensity sessions out of a charge. I'll try that over the holidays when I'm home.

So although this won't work for everyone, it certainly did for me. Like others, I'll try to make an update on this at some point.

Roberts Stream202 WM202BK DAB/FM/WIFI Internet Radio - Black
Roberts Stream202 WM202BK DAB/FM/WIFI Internet Radio - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great, 19 Dec 2011
I bought this last year for my in-laws. Being Danish and living in Belgium they had been using a LW radio to pick up a poor signal from their home country. This radio has changed all that. Of course any internet radio will provide the stream, but this Roberts delivers it with really superb sound quality totally belying the size of the unit. On top of that it's easy enough for pensioners to get to grips with. They're using it every day since they got it and are delighted with it.

Fossil Ladies White Ceramic Chronograph Watch - CE1010
Fossil Ladies White Ceramic Chronograph Watch - CE1010
Offered by Choice In Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by the good quality, 6 Dec 2011
My wife wanted the white ceramic Fossil watch and she wanted the big one. I had reservations firstly about the quality of the brand (and £175 is no small amount too pay) and also for the fact that she has slim wrists and I thought it would be too big and heavy. So my first concern was unfounded, the watch seems beautifully made and finished. It oozes class and is very pleasurable to hold: solid and slimy smooth. That brings me to the second point, the size and weight... It's both larger and heavier than my gents Tag, so really substantial, it totally dominates my wife's wrist. However, it's so pretty that rather than being out of place it draws the eye and becomes a "feature" (if that makes sense?). She actually loves the weight too, gives it a certain gravity (literally).

Note too that it's easy to adjust the strap. As boxed it was suitable for me to wear, it just required the use of two small, flat-blade screwdrivers to separate the links, remove four (slightly too tight), three though was just on the OK side of too loose.

Very impressed, much nicer than it looks on photos.

Aurora 4W 12V MR16 Super Bright LED Light Bulbs, Warm White, 3000k (Higher Quality than other Energy Saving MR16 Lamps - 2 Year Guarantee) Perfect Size Retrofit
Offered by Lights4u

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent LED's, 21 Sep 2011
I wouldn't normally buy lights online, but living in Belgium these things are so hopelessly expensive (35EUR+) that I decided to try these Aurora's. What can I say, they're great. They give a slightly yellow light compared to the other LED's I have, but as they're used in the kid's bedrooms this is actually rather desirable. In fact I was so pleased with the first lot that I placed a second order. Quick delivery too and all at a third of the cost of buying a similar product here...

Obviously only time will tell if they're reliable, but so far so good. I'm very pleased.