Profile for Karen White > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Hurry Up We're Dreaming
Hurry Up We're Dreaming

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 April 2016
This review is from: Hurry Up We're Dreaming (Audio CD)
One of my favourite albums ever. Lots of stand out favourites such as Outro, Wait and the radio friendly Midnight City.

JUNK
JUNK

2.0 out of 5 stars Junk indeed, 9 April 2016
This review is from: JUNK (Audio CD)
With the exception of a couple of songs, this album fails to make any real impact. It mostly sounds like background music. Really disappointed.

Philips HR1863/01 Viva Collection Juicer, 2 Litre, 700 Watt - Brushed Aluminium
Philips HR1863/01 Viva Collection Juicer, 2 Litre, 700 Watt - Brushed Aluminium
Offered by Luzern

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and so easy to use, 27 Feb. 2015
I've used other juicers in the past, and none hold a candle to this one.
I find it very easy to set up, use, clean and store. The fact that you don't have to slice or chop most items of fruit or vegetables is an added bonus. The juicer itself has little suction pads on the bottom so it doesn't move as you're popping the fruit/veg in with one hand, and pressing them down into the chute with the other. It feels very sturdy also.
I can't say enough good things about this juicer - love it! :-)

How To Stop Eating Foods You Are Addicted To In 24 Hours Or Less: Tough But Guaranteed

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced nonsense, 21 Feb. 2015
This book is so short, that when I originally downloaded a sample, it ended after the contents page! It builds up to a big reveal of how to give up foods you're addicted to. I'm going to save you your hard earned money and let you in on the 'secret'........imagine those crisps you're munching are beetles, moths, etc., with handy pictures of said bugs. I wouldn't mind only the cover actually looks informative! Lol! Absolute nonsense in my view.

Overcoming Binge Eating, Second Edition: The Proven Program to Learn Why You Binge and How You Can Stop

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation., 23 April 2014
This book is absolutely amazing.

I downloaded it a few weeks ago, after a particularly bad binge. I knew it was time to seek help, as diets weren't working, and hadn't been working for a long time. I read the first half of the book over the course of 4-5 days, and it was like it was written about me. I didn't know 'Binge Eating Disorder' was a recognized eating disorder; I hadn't even heard of it before. I thought I was just greedy and had zero willpower. This book made me realize that diets don't work for me (or anyone with this disorder), and that I now have the promise of a fresh new approach to finally tackling my binge eating for once and for all. But I also felt sad too. Sad that I had wasted so much of my life on stupid diets!

Last week, I started on the second half of the book, and Step 1 of the program. It involved monitoring everything I ate, times, places, feelings, weight, etc., and this was such an eye opener. I discovered triggers I didn't even know I had, what my main binge foods were, and also that short term binging didn't lead to weight gain for me. And because I had monitored myself religiously for the week, I felt ready to move onto Step 2.

I'm only a few days into this, and it is harder, so I'll be sticking with this for longer before I feel ready to move on to the next Step. Sometimes I feel empty, raw and without something to soothe myself - it's like someone took my comfort blanket away. But I also feel very hopeful for my future, thanks to this program. I just want to be able to to eat normally without worrying about every calorie I consume, and without my usual 'all or nothing' attitude, and I feel this book is already helping me immeasurably.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2015 1:36 PM BST

VIP
VIP

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: VIP (Kindle Edition)
The volume of spelling, diction and grammar mistakes were too numerous to mention, and led to this being a DNF for me. Very sloppy work, and an insult to paying customers.

The Devils' Cradle
The Devils' Cradle

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 23 Mar. 2014
Wow, what a little gem of a read, which I was lucky enough to stumble upon by accident on Goodreads. I would describe this book as a romantic thriller, but is equally dark and disturbing, with lots of twists and turns.

This was fast paced, edgy and very tense at times, and with some great reveals along the way (even a great one at 94% - wasn't expecting THAT)! Both Case and Nina's personal torment is heartbreaking, and I was rooting for them the whole time. The book felt realistic to me, and I liked how the author didn't have Nina falling into bed with Case the first chance she had, which would totally have gone against the actions of an abused, frightened and traumatised woman, I feel.

Michael and Greg were vile human beings, and the dynamics into their relationship was twisted from a very young age due to an abusive father and an absent mother. They trusted no-one, not even each other, and I loved how things unfolded for them.

I loved Case! What a great male lead! He was a gentleman through and through, and it was good to see him in action throughout the movie. The author's writing style was flawless and tight. There were POV's from ALL lead characters, so we got to see into the minds of Michael and Greg also, which was disturbingly great.

Highly recommended!

My Own Worst Enemy
My Own Worst Enemy

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great read by this author!, 18 Mar. 2014
This was another really good read by this author. It's a complex kind of story, and so I've kept spoilers to a minimum, so as not to ruin it!

This is not a light read by any means. It was quite an emotional rollercoaster, and it dealt with sadness, mental illness, grief, pain and tragedy. But the overriding tone of the book for me was love conquering all, and how much of a battering the human heart can take and still bounce back.

Beth had so much tragedy in her life, and the relationship between her and her twin brother, Ben, was so sweet. He stood by her at all times, at the cost of his own happiness and ability to move on with his own life.

I loved the main characters - Beth (Tink), Trick and Ben. In fact, Ben should definitely have his own spin off book - I would want to read that! Tattoo artist with a heart of gold? - sign me up! Trick was such a sweetheart, and although at times I thought he deserved better, when Beth's story unfolds, you realise that she can't help the way she is.

The reason I docked it a star was because the ending was a little rushed, I was a bit confused with the storyline at the start (until it all gelled together), and the sex scenes were not as descriptive as I would like. Otherwise a very enjoyable read, and I look forward to more from this author!

To The Depths of Hell
To The Depths of Hell

3.0 out of 5 stars OK read, 13 Mar. 2014
This was originally called Dying to Survive until it was banned by Amazon, renamed and republished. Why it was banned by Amazon, I haven't got a clue. I have certainly read a lot darker than this. BUT, it is still quite dark and graphic. Here's the blurb.......

*****
A woman is abducted and tossed in the trunk of a car and driven to a remote location. As soon as her captor opens the trunk, she feels attracted to him. Moments later, she is moved to the basement, and placed into a room with three other women, all of which resemble her.

Confused, scared, lonely, and in constant fear, she waits – struggling with her feelings of mentally abandoning her child and attaching herself to the captor.

The abductor, after a few days, opens the door and explains the following to the group of women. “Tomorrow morning, at eight am, one of you will forfeit your life to save the other three. If one person isn't willing to die, everyone will die.”

Ryan Capshaw was raised at the hand of an abusive father, and grew up believing he was worthless. To prove his intelligence and self-worth to himself, he has devised a plan to abduct, torture, and murder four women - one of which decides to challenge his plan.
*****

For me, this was an OK read. Good enough to finish, but not enough to deserve anything higher than a 3 star rating. Generally, it was well written, but the author made the the characters quite confused and contradictory with their behaviour.

For instance, Ryan was, then he wasn't, then he was!!! LOL! That's the best way to describe him without giving too much away! Himself and Meghan are somewhat kindred spirits due to their troubled childhoods.

I had a big problem with Meghan's complete disregard for her daughter. By her own admittance, she barely thought of her six year old daughter after she was kidnapped. Meghan's behaviour throughout the book made me quite unsympathetic towards her, and while I don't feel she deserved how her life turned out, I didn't exactly feel any sympathy for her either.

There were some good twists and turns, and unpredictability that kept me really interested, but I would have liked less wishy washy characters, and a tighter control on the story line. And the ending was quite silly also. Good overall though.

The Swan and the Jackal (In the Company of Killers Book 3)
The Swan and the Jackal (In the Company of Killers Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this series!, 11 Mar. 2014
This was a really great read, and a lovely addition to this brilliant series overall. I'm not going to go into too much detail in this review as I don't want to ruin it for anyone!

This time around we are given the story of Fredrik Gustavsson, aka The Specialist or The Jackal. He works within Victor Faust's team, and his specialty is torturing information out of his victims. For him, as a sadist, it is his ideal job.

This book was lower on action than usual, but what it lacked in action, it made up for in total mind-f*ck-upedness. And there were some twists that I didn't see coming AT ALL!

Much like Caleb and Q, Fredrik is a total anti-hero, and you shouldn't like him, but you do. I really LOVED Fredrik, and my heart broke for the crap life he had, for his own broken heart and for the glimpses of vulnerability we saw within him. I also loved his friendship with Izabel, which was very sweet.

We know that Fredrik had a horrible childhood within the sex trade, although not much details were revealed. The fourth installment of this series, "Seeds of Iniquity" comes out this year, and is all about how Fredrik and Seraphina came to be, and I'm sure their rough pasts will be a big part of that. I'm looking forward to this, but what I really want is a book about Fredrik and the woman who truly captures his heart, whoever she may be!

The reason I docked it a star was because at times it waffled on a bit. But otherwise, very enjoyable. If you love gritty and dark reads, then this series is for you!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14