Profile for Mountie > Reviews

Dvd ~ Carl Sagan
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 11.25

5.0 out of 5 stars This will change your life....., 30 Jan 2012
I count myself as a knowledgeable amateur in the field of astronomy. I own and highly recommend such titles as Professor Brian Cox's "Wonders of the..." series, and like to keep abreast of current developments in the science.
Therefore, I was in two minds of whether to purchase this DVD set. after all, a series from 1980 would likely be dated both graphically, and scientifically. In the end, the 7.50 price tag together with a glass or three of Pinot grigio swung it.

Two days later - as is the usual case with wonderful Amazon.co.uk - the set was in my hands. I decided to watch the first episode in the early evening before switching over to the football at 7.45.

I was still watching Cosmos at 1AM in the morning, and couldn't give a damn about the scoreline between Crystal Palace and Cardiff city. Quite simply, this series is mesmorising. As much about life on earth, the Human Mind and how, as a species, we could exist if we tried, as it is about Astronomy. Carl Sagan's "personal voyage" doesn't just focus on actual scientific How and Why, but insipres an awe and wonder and expansion of the mind that I've not felt since I was a small child. (I am now in my late 30s).

To detail each episode here would for me seem like robbing any potential buyers of that same feeling upon hearing carl's wonderful voice as he takes the viwer on the journey to that new viewpoint, so I won't even try.

If it was within my power to do so, every world leader from David Cameron to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad should be forced to watch this series upon assuming leadership of their country. Especially episode 13.

Please.. buy it, watch it, and never look at a dandelion seedhead in the same way again. You will never spend a wiser 7.50.