Profile for Tony W > Reviews

Content by Tony W

Tony W (Birmingham)

Red Carpet Massacre (CD/DVD)
Red Carpet Massacre (CD/DVD)
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - a real return to form, 9 Jan. 2008
I have to admit I was very sceptical towards this release. I've been into Duran since about 84, but wasn't sure if they still had it. However, once I'd listened to it, I was not disappointed.

After the first listen I thought it had potential, but after a month I think it is up there with Rio and The Wedding Album as one of their best. I've always found Duran albums a mixture of absolute gems accompanied by rougher edges. However, like the afformentioned two, this holds together across the entire length, with the quality rarely dipping. The level of production and musicianship are both also superb.

Initially the highlight tracks were Falling Down, Nightrunner and Skin Divers. However, the real piece of songwriting heaven is She's too much. I heard that Simon wrote the lyrics about his daughter, and if you listen to them with this in mind they have a exceptionally deep meaning to them. I'd regard them as perhaps the best he's every written. The complexity of the rest of the song show a band who are really at the top of their game - its a subtle and understated track, but very powerful. Similar to Come Undone, which was written about his wife, Yasmin.

Overall, a fine release. I just wish the buying public were more willing to look again at one of Britain's most under-rated bands.

FAR FROM THE MADDENING CROWD
FAR FROM THE MADDENING CROWD

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should own this album, 5 Oct. 2007
FFTMC from Chicane has been unavailable to buy new for about five years now due to licensing issues. This fact has meant many potential new listeners have been deprived from owning not only the best dance albums ever made, but also one of the finest albums produced in the past 10 years, unless they paid £30 - 40 for a used copy. It really is that good.

This re-release has the same tracklisting as the original issue except for the addition of 'Offshore 2007.' This excellent new mix means there's something on it for even fans who already have the disc. If you want to hear an edit of this, go onto chicanemusic.com and have a listen.

Can't recommend this enough - buy it, you won't be disappointed.

CHICANE / SOMERSAULT
CHICANE / SOMERSAULT
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Undoubtably different, but the magic is still there, 24 July 2007
This review is from: CHICANE / SOMERSAULT (Audio CD)
Anyone reading these reviews will no doubt be expecting something different this time around, and indeed the album offers a new dimension to the Chicane sound. However, we shouldn't feel disapointed at this, because underneath the punchier, rockier edge the atmospheric synth sounds and key changes which made past releases so perfect are still there. I am finding that with each subsequent listen (and there have been many already) the underlying Chicane sound is coming to the fore more and more.

I think Nick has had to change his style due to the changing fashions and fads of the music industry. I rate Far From The Maddening Crowds as the best album of all time, but would it survive today's over commercialised and fragmented music scene? I don't believe it would, despite the musical and technical excellence, because it would not be commercial enough or shift enough units. Indeed, I still find it hard to comprehend that the title remains deleted - a view obviously shared by many people when you see the secondhand prices paid for it. However, both the world and the dance scene have moved on since then and it is natural that the new style has to also.

I think it's right that Chicane don't try and produce another FFTMC, and I see Somersault as a worthy addition to the catalogue. Significant elements of the old soundscapes do exist in the tracks Arizona and Time of your life, but these are balanced by both the commercial releases and edgier vocal tracks. However, the whole sound still has a multi-layered depth we have come to expect.

Welcome back, Nick, its good to have you with us again. I just hope that this time you get the support and success you deserve. A world without Chicane would be much duller place.