Profile for PyroSikTh > Reviews

Content by PyroSikTh

PyroSikTh (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Harry Potter: The Complete 1-8 Film Collection - Limited Numbered Edition (Blu-ray + DVD) [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars Limited Edition Boxset, 30 Nov 2011
I just got this in the mail today (in case you're wondering, I got number 10,746). We all know how good the movies are, and if you're looking to buy this, you obviously like them a fair amount, so I won't bore anyone with a review of the movies. Despite there being 13 reviews here already about the movies or comparisons to what the US gets, I thought it was worth reviewing the actual boxset.

The box itself is very nice. It's hard and sturdy, certainly not a cheap job. You'd have to put quite some effort in to break it. You open it up and you get two fold-outs of discs and a nice little photo book. The book is quite nice. It's full colour, hardback and very nicely presented inside. Certainly nice for collectors. The first fold-out is labelled 'Years 1-5' and has a Blu-Ray disc and DVD disc for Philosopher's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. The second fold-out is labelled 'Years 6-7 part 1 and 2' and contains a Blu-Ray disc of each of the three movies, a DVD disc of each of the three movies, and a Blu-Ray disc for each of their Special Features.

However, despite my 5-star rating, it's not perfect. As you're probably thinking, there's no Special Feature discs for the first five movies, only the last three. The only other bad point is there's no kind of latch to keep the box closed. The lid just flops open when you place the box on it's side on your shelf. Prop it up against other DVDs/Blu-Rays/Books and you should be okay, but a bit annoying nonetheless.

Outside of those two bad points, it's a solid box worth every penny.
Comment Comments (23) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2012 12:58 PM BST

Saw 1-7: The Final Cut Collection [DVD]
Saw 1-7: The Final Cut Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Karen Cliche
Price: 39.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Quality Set, 8 Mar 2011
I've been waiting almost 7 years for an all-inclusive boxset of all the Saw films without any chance of there being another film released the following October. However now the time has come, so I snapped this up. It only arrived this morning, so I haven't put in the discs to check any special features or the quality of the picture/sound or anything yet, but on first glance it's certainly a good boxset.

This particular edition has "Limited Edition" in the corner, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. It may just be because of the Lenticular Sleeve, which isn't that amazing. In any case, the box itself is sturdy and good quality. I reckon it'll take quite some use before it starts showing any signs of wear. Inside, the discs are all contained in a CD book type thing. This is certainly a good thing for me as I hate the boxsets that are just the standard DVDs collected up into one cheap-quality cardboard box. They obviously put a bit of effort in with this boxset.

The films themselves look to be standard affair. 'Saw' is the uncut version, 'Saw II' appears to be the theatrical release, 'Saw III', 'Saw IV' and 'Saw V' are the Extreme Editions, and 'Saw VI' and 'Final Chapter' both appear to be the standard theatrical release. Something some customers may miss from similar-quality boxsets like that of Alien and Lord of the Rings is a lack of booklet. Instead you get a little piece of blurb for each film on the page opposite to the respective disc. I personally don't mind this as I never really paid much attention to those booklets anyway, and most of them were only for blurb anyway.

Something else that must be noted about the boxset is not to force the CD book into it's respective box. It appears to be designed for a simple "slip in and out" effect. Just resting it in it's sleeve works fine once the cover box goes over the top.

Apologies to those expecting a review of the actual movies, but I'm sure you can find them all elsewhere. I rate this boxset 4/5. It's a good quality box that shows effort has been made. My only criticisms are petty ones such as the discs not having a uniform appearance like similar boxsets. Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2011 10:19 PM BST

Edison [DVD]
Edison [DVD]
Dvd ~ Justin Timberlake
Price: 9.69

4.0 out of 5 stars I Just Don't Get it, 3 Feb 2009
This review is from: Edison [DVD] (DVD)
WARNING: Possible Spoilers

First off, I don't have a clue why this movie rates so low everywhere. Honestly, I don't understand it whatsoever. Okay, so it's not Oscar worthy, potential classic or mind-bendingly original, but it's certainly not as bad as everyone seems to be making out.

I've read reviews claiming that Timberlake's performance is the worst they've ever seen. Seriously, they couldn't have seen much bad acting if that's what they think. It's competent and believable, void of any awkwardness that some films are plagued with through lack of chemistry and/or generally bad performances.

I swear I must've seen a completely different film to everyone else. Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey have quite pivotal roles with plenty of screentime, by no means minor characters, and their acting isn't as low-rate as everyone's making out. This film is very plot and suspense driven, despite the lack of plot revelations and in-your-face action (although there is some of that at the end).
I've also read of action sequence plotholes such as Timberlake's character, although never having fired a gun before, fires it perfectly, and when he runs out of ammo, 2 more cartridges appear from nowhere - Timberlake's character holds an uzi for about 2 seconds and he never fires it. LL Cool J's character never has any moments of magical ammo, although the one man against an entire police department is a little far-fetched.

All-in-all, it's actually nowhere near as bad as people keep making out. Give it a try before you knock it.

Max Payne [DVD] [2008]
Max Payne [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Mark Wahlberg
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 2.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the Video Game, 20 Jan 2009
This review is from: Max Payne [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Let us note that this film (obviously) isn't the video game. It's a film based on the video game. Slight difference. For one, this is a plot-driven film rather than a mindless action flick/shoot 'em up.

Max Payne (Mark Wahlberg) is a cop tortured by the death of his wife and child, and he is hell-bent on finding who did it. He starts from the bottom and works his way up the hierarchy, uncovering military secrets along the way, which just lead him to climb higher. The film opens with Max Payne falling in icy waters with a film noir-esque monologue. It's a shame this monologue is so short and one of the few narrations, but it's enough to make the viewer wonder why he's there. From there it goes back in time and develops it's way back to that point. Along the way he meets Natasha Sax (Olga Kurylenko) and her sister Mona Sax (Mila Kunis). Unfortunately, I don't feel either of them, particularly Mona Sax got enough development or screen time.

The visuals are very good and certainly quite creepy. The finale is certainly a high point in cinema special effects, and the cinematography is expertly done with some scenes as photographic and artistic as those in Road to Perdition. There's also a good soundtrack that helps the viewer to emphasise and feel the emotions Max feels. This ranks amongst my top films and I will be soon to pre-order my copy, no matter what the price.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2009 9:29 PM GMT

The Brothers Grimm [DVD]
The Brothers Grimm [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon
Offered by Jasuli
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Understand, 23 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Brothers Grimm [DVD] (DVD)
I'm not one to create reviews that are a reply to other reviews, but I'm feeling sorry for the poor guy who hasn't seen this film and would like to know whether to bother. The answer is yes, don't bother with these 1 and 2 star reviews, because frankly I don't understand where they're coming from. They must've seen a completely different movie to me.

Now before I go on, let us remember that this is The Brothers Grimm, a tale that encompasses as many fairy tale references as it can. Fairy tale is the key here. If you're sat there watching it and you think "but that doesn't make sense", well neither do moving trees, feeling a pea under a pile of mattresses, or a walking, talking ginger-bread man.

Quick summary; Two brothers, one of logical thinking, one of fantasy thinking, con villages out of money by pretending to vanquish witches and monsters. After one successful con, they are dragged to the authoritative figure of the French invasion who sends them after the people responsible for the disappearance of young girls in a secluded village. It isn't long before the brothers find that this is a real curse.
To be honest, that's pretty much it, so what people are finding so messy and confusing I have no idea.

Acting is pretty decent. I've certainly seen a lot worse. Okay, so their accents may not be 100% perfect, but this is a light-hearted fantasy, why should they be? The special effects are pretty decent too. The characterisation was good, I really felt for the two brothers, especially Jacob. Script was almost faultless. Agreed, it could've been better, but that doesn't mean it has any faults.

A recurring theme - this film is not perfect by any means. The ending is awfully cliché, but it's a fairy tale, why shouldn't it be? The Queen appeared really late in the film so she barely got any screen time, which is a shame. The French characters were also pretty annoying, I just wanted them to die so they could leave the brothers to it.

Give this film a try, watch it with an open mind. This obviously isn't for everyone, but from where I'm sat, 95% of these negative reviews are complete rubbish. Remember, it's a fairy tale.

Reign Of Fire [DVD] [2002]
Reign Of Fire [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Matthew McConaughey
Price: 2.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Mis-Advertised, 10 Dec 2008
This review is from: Reign Of Fire [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I love this film. It shows the very human struggle to survive after they've been knocked from the top of the food chain. It blends medievil mythology with a modern era breathlessly. Definately an original take on Man vs Dragon. Now to get this straight, this is a film about Humans, not about Dragons. The dragons merely supply the unique reason for the apocalypse. This is a film about the post-apocalypse, not the apocalypse. It's not about skies full of Dragons turning worldwide armed forces into ash on an epic scale. It's not about Dragons setting the world, quite literally, on fire. It's about after all that's happened.

Which is a shame this was advertised as a film about Dragons burning all life as we know it. Of course, everyone goes in expecting to see 90 minutes of Dragons destroying everything. If this had been advertised as a more human film about after these Dragons have completely wasted eveything, I really think this could've been seen as a good film. It unfortunately set expectations high in the wrong sort of viewers by a mind-blowingly epic trailer.

Christian Bale, Gerard Butler and Matthew McConaughey all deliver their role superbly, and the script isn't as bad as it's made out to be either. The effects were great and the Dragons do look pretty realistic, to the point I almost believed this was a documentary. Okay, so there are some plotholes, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to fill those in yourself. I mean, does everything have to be explained so obviously?
The only reason this film gets 4 stars and not 5 is because, being a film about human struggle, it could've done with a bit more character development. Other than that, it's a deeply entertaining, well-acted, suspenseful film.

Don't knock it before you see it for yourself.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2009 8:49 PM GMT

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ron Perlman
Price: 2.60

2.0 out of 5 stars Could've been so much more..., 6 Dec 2008
I watched the first Hellboy and thought it was pretty good, so when I saw the adverts for this and noticed the outstanding visuals, I thought it definately had to be watched. Where better to watch such visual fantasies than the cinema.

It started off far from satisfactory with the worst acting I've ever seen from a child actor, I'm sure they could've someone better, luckily, John Hurt was there to save it. From that point it started to improve. I loved Del Toro's vision of tooth faires and the scenes in the auction house were chilling. The action was crisp and imaginative. I was impressed and couldn't wait to see more. The adaptation of the elves was fantastic. They looked so other-worldly, yet human and realistic. The scene in the throne room is one of my favourites in cinema history. Del Toro paid a lot of attention to the visual details. The main story was also very interesting, I'd have loved to have seen more of it, like in a spin-off epic on similar proportions as Lord of the Rings. The marketplace was astounding, I truely believed there was really a place like that, so full of life of wierd creatures of fantasy that we know nothing about. The representation of the Angel of Death was absolutely fantastic, possibley my second favourite moment in cinema history.

However, I found too many characters on Hellboys side too annoying. They're supposed to be the good guys, I'm supposed to like them. I just found them pathetic and invigorating. Abe's hastiness to fall in love so quickly and surely just reminded me of those thirteen year olds who think they know everything about love, and they really irritate me. Krauss's accent was ridiculous and his need to obey all the rules was ridiculous, the notion that he'd then go back on himself and disobey rules was just unbelievable. However, him vs Hellboy was definately a highlight of the film and the character got kudos. The inclusion of Liz's pregnancy was fearfully predictable and cheesey. In fact, I think the only heroic character I did like was Hellboy.
In addition, the end felt like it was a bit rushed.

So to wrap up my review; This could've been so much more. Cut out the cheesiness and ridiculousness and this could've been a fantastic fantasy epic. Cut out the fantastic visuals and epic storyline and this would've been good as a cheesey, generally entertaining film that doesn't have to make sense. Del Toro was trying to merge two completely different styles of filmmaking and it just didn't blend. I would much rather it wasn't a Hellboy film, but a completely new, imaginative and visually stunning fantasy epic, but that's just me.

Sunshine [DVD] [2007]
Sunshine [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Cillian Murphy
Price: 2.72

5.0 out of 5 stars True Epic, 6 Dec 2008
This review is from: Sunshine [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
This film is a true sci-fi epic unlike anything else I've seen. Danny Boyle hits us once again with a film of pure beauty twinned with thrills and chills. It gets the adrenaline pumping around your body, while at the same time getting the adrenaline pumping around your brain.
If you have a closed-minded view on how films should be, or need everything explained to you, this isn't the film for you. I watched it in the cinema and was taken aback by the beautiful visual effects and emotional soundscapes. The enlightenment of Searle really makes you think as does the the introduction of Pinbacker. As Capa goes to release the bomb in the grand finale, I really felt the sense of struggle and determination. The feeling of doom and debate of humanity is really strongly felt between all the characters and you can't help but dread what it would be like to be in their shoes.
John Murphy and Underworld do a great job with the soundtrack, emphasising and sometimes creating the feeling of hope and despair in equal measure.
Cillian Murphy is once again at top form. He really seems to have a hold on Capa's good-natured, but human character. Mark Strong is also very chilling and Rose Byrne remains her innocent-looking self.
The story is unpredictable, thrilling and at times confusing, but with confusion also comes the silence in the room as the credits roll, because everyone starts running the movie back in their heads trying to figure it all out.
Danny Boyles directing is, as always, fantastic and the composition of the visuals, script, acting and soundtrack is near perfect. Sunshine really goes to show how much of a versatile filmmaker he is.

This film ticks all the right boxes for me, but it's not for everyone. Rent it before you buy it.

Start With A Strong And Persistent Desire
Start With A Strong And Persistent Desire
Price: 3.68

5.0 out of 5 stars They just came too early, 11 Sep 2008
It's been 6 years (or there about) since they split up, but this album is still a firm favourite of mine. The blend of metal-influenced rock music and electronica was certinaly unique back then. These guys were the only ones doing it. Looking at present day, I can see various parallels these guys have with modern bands that are flourishing, bands like Reuben and Enter Shikari.
From beginning to end, expect to be bombarded with heavy chorus', fat bass lines, ingenius sampling, emotional vocals and creshendos. Don't expect any virtuoso performances, this band is purely about being simple and it works. These guys balance unconvention and commercial perfectly, but that may be the very reason they didn't get very far. If you didn't like these guys when you first heard about, you may like them now.

Everyone Into Position
Everyone Into Position
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., 20 Aug 2007
This review is from: Everyone Into Position (Audio CD)
Fishbowl - My favourite television advert of all time. What got me was the music, and still to this day does it get me going. After discovering the music was called Music For a Nurse by Oceansize I couldn't help but download it. Having some money spare (and hating having incomplete albums) I downloaded the rest of it. Expecting something mellow and dreamy I shunned almost the whole album apart from Music for a Nurse. Several months on I can't help but listen through from track 1 to 10 and struggle to categories these gods of music!

I dabbled with the ideas of being Pink Floyd but heavier, Cult of Luna but less doomy, SikTh but more progressive, and "Progressive Post-Grunge". None of these descriptions even scrape what this band really is, and for that, they deserve your undivided attention.

Warning: You WILL get blown away! 5 Stars just wasn't enough.

Page: 1 | 2