Profile for Mark S. G. > Reviews

Content by Mark S. G.

Mark S. G. (Ash Vale, Hampshire United Kingdom)

Ukulele Pickup 'Clip On' - Cherub
Ukulele Pickup 'Clip On' - Cherub
Offered by Easy Bargain

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a worthwhile product., 7 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Ukulele Pickup 'Clip On' - Cherub
Hate to give a one star review for something, but this is just unusable. I wasn't expecting the world for a few quid, but the sound of your fingers on the fretboard just makes the amplified sound unlistenable. Probably worth the money it costs, but not actually worth buying. I'll never use it again.

The Fitzgerald
The Fitzgerald

1.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring., 13 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Fitzgerald (Audio CD)
Encouraged by the very positive reviews on Amazon, I took a chance on The Fitzgerald as my introduction to Richmond Fontaine.
You begin to realise as the album "progresses" (in truth, it stays almost exactly the same throughout) that you're not going to be in for any surprises, either musicaly or lyricaly.
The music is no more than a dreary bed that has no form or direction, which doesn't even serve to create a mood for the lyrics. It is just plain monotonous and uninspired throughout.
The "stories" such as they are hopeless attempts at tradgedy, relying on cliches and a riduculous piling of hardship upon hardship e.g. Larmie, Wyoming "He stayed with a group of men in a condemned hotel
But they were all demented and insane" he then steals a lift on the back of a truck etc.
I read an article somewhere about Richmond Fontaine, wondering why they were still relatively unknown; give this a listen and you'll understand!
After the cd had been playing for about 15 minutes, I suddenly realised that I had picked up and started reading a magazine. That's how little this album held my concentration. I had to go back to the beginning and force myself to hear it a few times, to give it a fair review.
This really is very poor music on every level.
I'm off to listen to a Lambchop album. . . aaaah, blessed relief.

Fatman Fivds Itube Valvedock With Speakers
Fatman Fivds Itube Valvedock With Speakers

3.0 out of 5 stars Speakers and remote are poor, but, make a What HiFi system and you've got 4.5 stars!, 1 Sept. 2008
I bought this system after seeing the dock and amp rated as product of the year in the What HiFi awards - Ipod accessories category. I use it with an 80gb ipod classic.

I took a chance on the whole system as it wasn't much more money for this speaker inclusive package. Hmmm, bit of a mistake, the very small speakers are really poor - no wonder What HiFi don't recommend them. The problem you have of course is deciding if the system is poor or just the speakers? Anyway, I assumed that as they'd given the dock and amp top honours and not mentioned the speakers at all that it must be them letting the side down.

So, I chucked them out and bought a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 speakers (also award winners in What HiFi - Best speakers between £150 and £250) for £200 inc. delivery at an online store . . . WOW! What a transformation. Fantastic sound, including a lovely deep mellow bass and crysal clear treble. People who say it won't go loud must like their music really LOUD, I rarely go above half volume (the Monitor Audios need to be run-in for 50 hours before turning up loud anyway).

Everyone who's come into my room to have a listen, says (well, once they've finished saying how cool it looks that is) "Wow, I want one!"

The only downside with the dock and amp setup is the remote control which is a really tacky piece of work for sure, I've had the system a few weeks now and the writing is already nearly worn off above the bass, treble and volume buttons!

To sum up, buy the amp and dock package, NOT this one with the speakers included. Buy some good sensitive speakers like the above mentioned Monitor Audios and you've got a fabulous looking and sounding system!

Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod Legs Only
Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod Legs Only

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling., 1 Sept. 2008
I've been looking for a good quality tripod for a while now. After weighing up the pros and cons of various contenders I decided that the 055xprob looked the best all round bet. It was only when I looked to see Amazon's price that I noticed the review saying that it wobbled like a harp string. I thought that the reviewer must be exagerating wildly as Manfrotto are THE renowned tripod manufacturer.

Rather than just order one as I'd intended I went to a camera shop in a nearby town that stocks Manfrotto tripods. They had the 055xprob in stock so I set it up. I then gave it the "tap test" - a quick but firm tap on one leg. I waited a full second before touching the leg and found to my horror that it was indeed "vibrating like a harp string"(!) I pointed this out to the sales assistant who seemed transfixed by the phenomenon - he kept on trying it.

Anyway, full credit to the assistant as he regained his composure and informed me that "it vibrates because the legs are hollow and full of air" and then most excellently "just turn on the image stabilizer on your lens and that will take care of it" - full marks for trying I'd say!

After very quickly deciding that using an image stabilized lens to counteract the effects of a vibrating tripod (or to give it it's other name, image stabilizer) wasn't a great idea, I came back home to resume the hunt for something that was, if not the rolls royce of tripods, at least not the clown's car.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2014 1:14 AM GMT

American Water
American Water

4.0 out of 5 stars Near classic !, 28 Oct. 2004
This review is from: American Water (Audio CD)
If you're realistic, you can't expect great music AND great lyrics from anyone. They are usually two seperate arts - musician and poet - and there's no bucking of the trend here I'm afraid. The music on this album is sublime. Berman's weary voice has a soothing, mellow resonance, complemented by the always interesting music; little hooks pop up in most tracks,as little highs that you wouldn't anticipate the way you would in your usual verse,chorus pop song.
The lyrics are a different matter. I've read poetry all my life, and this isn't anything worth the name. At best "Honk if you're lonely", obvious, simplistic. At worst (95% of the album) meaningless nonsense e.g. "...the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake" I understand why people want to have heroes worthy of our adoration, who make great music with great lyrics, but they're a very rare breed; that's why people still drone on about Bob Dylan! Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's clever, or GENIUS as people are calling this! It's sixth-form nonsense.
Anyway, buy the album, toss the lyrics into the bin, and grow to love the great tunes! Another great singer/songwriter WILL come along one day, but until then, as somebody once said "just lay back...and enjoy the melodies"