Profile for Papalamour > Reviews

Content by Papalamour

Papalamour "papalamour" (caernarfon. Cymru/Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Swissgear GA-7305-14F00 Synergy  15.6 Inch Laptop Bag
Swissgear GA-7305-14F00 Synergy  15.6 Inch Laptop Bag

2.0 out of 5 stars Would be great - if the straps just didn't keep breaking, 16 May 2013
I am now on my second swissgear ga7305. The first one was returned after about 8 months use. The plastic connectors that allow you to adjust the strap lengths snapped. I have had the replacement bag for over a year and guess what? Yup, yesterday the same connector snapped. Everything else is fine about it in relation to functionality and build quality. But the plastic connectors cannot take the strain of putting a loaded bag on your shoulder. Surely a normal action for a rucksack? Now then off to Swissgear in an attempt to source a replacement connector / bag.

Lost Tomb of the Knights Templar by Ben Hammott: 100 year old clues left by a French priest 100 years ago, lead to an amazing discovery.
by Ben Hammott

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 5 Dec 2012
Was lent this by a friend last month to read on a long journey. It was an enjoyable read, although a little fantastical. Curious to learn more I then read up a bit on the web, to discover that the author's own website contained a confession from the author that the whole work was a fabrication! Sadly, this confession is not on the author's home page but several pages in. So, if you want an entertaining work of fiction then buy it. If, as I was after reading the disclaimer on the author's website, you might be slightly incredulous that this book remains on sale!

Our Father, Who Art Out There...Somewhere
Our Father, Who Art Out There...Somewhere
by A J Taft

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be a film!, 13 April 2012
Set in the North of England in the late 80s this was a refreshing and uplifting change to my normal reading. (Found on wife's bedside table!)
The characters come across vividly and are tangible. The setting is coherent and the story/pace of the book is sharp. I love aunt edie and bob (next door loser) but they feel very believable.
This would make an excellent film in the vein of Rita, Sue & Bob too.

Computer Programming For Kids With Scratch
Computer Programming For Kids With Scratch
by Craig Whitmore

1.0 out of 5 stars astoundingly poor value for money, 3 Mar 2012
I have never returned an item to Amazon unless it was not working. So, for the first time in a decade I am returning these.

Why?

£15 for what is essentially less than 30 pages of content is ridiculous. I could get this information from the scratch websites.

I really wish that i had read the previous review.

Avoid at all costs.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2013 2:30 AM BST

The Smell of Summer Grass: Pursuing Happiness- Perch Hill, 1994-2011
The Smell of Summer Grass: Pursuing Happiness- Perch Hill, 1994-2011
by Adam Nicolson

3.0 out of 5 stars The Smell of the Upper Urban Middle Media Class, 21 Sep 2011
I adored Adam Nicolson's Sea Room and regard it as a precious, strangely dignified and humble work. Holiday time 2011 and i decide to add "the smell of summer grass" to my list. Although it would be nearly impossible to argue against the beauty of his writing I am sorry to say that his skewed perspective of rural authenticity spoilt this book for me. His dramatic touches with "penury" were fleeting and obviously silently backed with maturing investments and lucrative (and well deserved) writing contracts. His fundamentalist "back to rustic arcadia" opinions on rutted tracks, lanes etc were insensitive and nonsensical and the majority of his relationships with the community that he lived in seemed to involve him paying them to maintain this arcadian artifice for him.

Nicolson seems both uncomfortable with those in society with whom he was brought up "fox hunts and game birds" and at the same time incapable of maintaining normal relationships (at least those that he writes about) with the local rooted "owners" of the landscape that he clearly loves and appreciates. This outsider perspective clearly produces informed and entertaining snapshots of his life, but always at a distance, a London-centric Raj of the Weald.

The only positive that i took from this self-obsessed journey of rustic righteousness was that it enticed me to read Puck of Puck's hill for the first time in thirty years.

Hitachi LS-1000-EMEA 3.5-inch 1TB Simpledrive External USB Hard Drive
Hitachi LS-1000-EMEA 3.5-inch 1TB Simpledrive External USB Hard Drive

1.0 out of 5 stars once byten twice shy, 1 Aug 2011
Upon receipt a colleague noted that he had one of these and had already broken the USB connector. I thought that this wouldn't effect my usage as it was going into the server cupboard to be a time capsule. Today, finally got around to setting it all up to discover that it was dead on arrival. I know that every drive manufacturer has their share of woes but now personal experience and colleague's experience mean that I am not going to buy hitachi again!

Fun at the Funeral Parlour [DVD]
Fun at the Funeral Parlour [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paul Whitehouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Deathly, dreadful lame comedy supposedly set in Wales, 13 Nov 2010
This is I believe the first time that an item has been brought to my attention via Amazon lists or "you might like" that I have then checked the reviews of and thought how did I miss that one?
When the Beeb (or Channel 4) do a bad sitcom they really do excel. How this made it to a second series is terrifying, it is video landfill:
The main characters - The undertakers are totally one dimensional, badly acted, unbelievable at any level and gifted a screenplay and jokes that are so thin that I am shocked that the individuals responsible are able to make a living from writing.
The storylines/plots (I only made it to halfway through the second episode before falling asleep) are on a level with the last 10 series of Last of the Summer Wine, or twenty packets of crisps and a pint of lager... they make scooby doo look radical.. how any of the previous reviewers can compare this to Father Ted is bizarre. I have not seen a shred of evidence thus far to corroborate that this series is either funny or off the wall.. a number of lame attempts i.e. 6 feet under death intros and a reference to Fantasy Island, falling in love with a corpse hmmmmm.
Gavin and Stacey demonstrated that a good comedy could be based in Wales... this doesn't...
I am putting my copy straight back up onto marketplace.. I feel guilty about it... and a little confused too, as I would heartily recommend that anyone who does enjoy comedy like father ted, black books, spaced, etc give this carcass of a series a wide berth.
Even paul Whitehouse is bad and his role is not as significant as is implied in the bumph on the cover.

Where Did The Night Fall
Where Did The Night Fall

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy Lavelleness, 13 Sep 2010
I have a couple of favourite UNKLE albums, unfortunately none of them have been recent ones. The new album is a return to earlier greatness. Magnificent, uplifting, moody and strong. THere might not be anyting to match rabbit in your headlights.. nevertheless an amazing piece of work.

Broke Through Britain: One Man's Penniless Odyssey
Broke Through Britain: One Man's Penniless Odyssey
by Peter Mortimer

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 13 Feb 2010
Facing the unknown in between Plymouth & Edinburgh doesn't sound right, does it? Peter Mortimer's odyssey is however captivating, humble and honest. Much as i enjoy the Wlaking round Wales with an Ironing Board type book, this is far better. The people, places and the food ( as he has no cash, food is of Maslow like importance and is recorded in wonderful detail!) are beautifully recorded. A wonderful, wonderful read...

Manafon
Manafon

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly ambiguous noise, 9 Feb 2010
This review is from: Manafon (Audio CD)
After the joy of listening to Sylvian's recent collaboration - Nine Horses, and a recommendation to buy Manafon from a friend, I genuinely looked forward to listening to this.

I think that I do get what he is trying to achieve here, there are sometimes occasional glimpses of music between the drone, the creaking of timbers and the Myst like percussive sounds. These glimpses are sadly all too rare. Sparse though it might be, what Sylvian and his fellow musicians have managed to create is as crassly self indulgent as a Yes album from the 70's. The reviewer's who compare this to some of Miles Davis's output have massively overrated this nonsensical and pretentious drivel.

Sometimes beauty is inherent in some of our saddest and sparsest of music. This level of artistry makes me smile...Manafon only makes me grimace..

Although there are more than a dozen five star ratings for Manafon, I wish that i had noted the nine reviewers who had given it one star. I will next time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2013 9:20 PM GMT