Profile for T. J. Jarratt > Reviews

Content by T. J. Jarratt

T. J. Jarratt "verseophile" (Hertfordshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Canon PIXMA MX455 All-In-One Colour Printer (Print, Copy, Scan, Fax, Apple AirPrint, Scan to Cloud and Wi-Fi)

4.0 out of 5 stars Champion, 8 Nov. 2013
I bought this printer in a hurry as something in the software of my iMac made using my expensive Epson machine quite impossible to use. I thought to use the Pixma for just a few days until I could sort the Epson problem but, in fact, I haven't even bothered to get the Epson going again. I can't really say whether the Pixma colour prints are wonderful or just ordinary or if the speed is remarkable because these don't matter to me particularly. So I go on my way merrily with only occasional print and scan needs and the Pixma deals with them perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is just what I wanted, 8 Nov. 2013
I didn't really need to renew my old Kindle, although the 'T' key had ceased to work, but I was tempted by the built in light as I had had to use a torch on my old machine if in poor light.
This new machine meets that need precisely with a fully dimmable light which lights the 'page' but not my eyes - so no glare at all - and the amount of light can be adjusted in a second or two. Secondly the touch screen means much simpler handling of page turning, type resizing, use of controls and so on. It took me a while to realise that I was making type smaller or larger at random because I had made the two-finger open or close movement without realising what it did. Thirdly, the machine is a little smaller, slimmer and and lighter but with more screen area and a greater variety of fonts. Despite advertisements saying that you can get 8 weeks of use from one battery charge I find I need to pump it up every fortnight or so as I use it for a good hour or more daily.
I have played with the experimental browser but it's not a lot of use and anyway I have an iPad so I can do without ever using it again. But that's no hardship so what's not to like? The change has been very, very worthwhile.

The Forward Book of Poetry 2014 (Kindle Single)
The Forward Book of Poetry 2014 (Kindle Single)

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs time, 4 Nov. 2013
I have only dipped into the first few pages so far. I don't think one should just plough ahead with poem after poem. Reflection is needed and choosing appropriate times to read. As a result the four stars is based only on a half dozen or so pages but they were good. I should imagine I will have maybe half a year's good dipping from this book.

Philosophical Investigations (Kindle Single)
Philosophical Investigations (Kindle Single)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 4 Nov. 2013
I quite enjoyed this book but found it a rather uninvolving. The tale ran on good strong lines pointing in an interesting direction but it failed to pull me in fully or make me care about the people involved. It was quite humorous, occasionally slightly gripping but I never felt that there would be incredible revelations, a completely unexpected twist, addition or shock. I did want to know more about the main character and his daughter. I would have liked to see some sort of direction their lives could take but noting was apparent. Perhaps there are other books in a series which cover that ground but I don't think I'll be bothered to find out now. Sorry.

Dominion
Dominion

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dominion (Kindle Edition)
I read a Shardlake story some time ago and told myself to try more of C J Sansom's books. But never did. Then I saw a recommendation for Dominion in a newspaper, bought it and read it. Put like that it seems such an ordinary thing to do but, in truth, I was amazed, disturbed, elated, amazed as the book unfolded in my mind. I was pulled along through increasing nervousness for the lives of the characters and the development of the threats to them right until the last minutes of triumphs and disasters. Wow!, what a tour de force. Recommended.

Esschert design GT06 58 x 48 x 1cm Short Textile Garden Apron - Green
Esschert design GT06 58 x 48 x 1cm Short Textile Garden Apron - Green
Offered by Bargains 4 Ever

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite good enough, 17 Oct. 2013
Unhappily I had to return this apron. This was a shame as the apron and pocket part was first class. The trouble was with the clicking clasp that fastened the waist strap behind one's back. Even with the apron on my knee I couldn't force this clasp into it's socket and trying to do it wearing the apron was just not possible. The clip appeared to be too large or ill-formed and would not, even with a powerful grip and force, make a connection. A real pity as otherwise a perfect gardening apron.

Regarding Ducks and Universes
Regarding Ducks and Universes

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a strange tale, 6 Oct. 2013
I read this book through but all the time I wondered what it was really about. I couldn't decide whether it was meant to be a detective story, an anecdote from someone's life, a gee-whizz science fiction tale or some kind of literary experiment.
It deals with Universe A Felix's trip to a second Universe B to find out if his alter-ego there had written a book that Felix A intends to write one day. Add to that several parties seem over interested in the two Felixes as they may be implicated in the Universes splitting. Most of the book is about sorting out who was implicit in the split.
I couldn't find, anywhere, a feeling of importance about this. Felix A & B are very ordinary as are all the people who contact them, Life seems very calm and everyday in both universes, the differences being remarked on but not all that interesting as both universes did not begin from one we know. Possibly if you know San Francisco it might help. Discussion of the splitting of universes is desultory and not too convincing. What I attempt to say is that there is no real drive to this story it just ambles along quite contentedly, humming a little tune to itself, and eventually comes a point where it finishes and that's that.
Often with this type of book I give up in exasperation after halfway or earlier but it is well enough penned and with just enough new stuff coming along for me to wonder how the devil it was going to round out. The answer is that it does end and the duck was there at the spit (!) but I hardly care.

The Last Light of the Sun
The Last Light of the Sun

4.0 out of 5 stars A good meaty (even bloody) read!, 6 Oct. 2013
I enjoyed this book. I have mentioned elsewhere that I am not a true fan of Sword and Sorcery novels but having been gently led into them by Lois McMasters Bujold I have sampled a few others. Mostly I can tell very soon that they are not for me but this book led me on quite successfully. It seems to me to be very heavily based on what is know of real happenings in the English and Viking worlds towards the end of the first Millennium. It may be that having some knowledge of this period helped acclimatise me to the tale. As I say it reads well, the characters are thoroughly well depicted and quite believable so forming one's opinion of them and their actions makes the book richer. It all ends reasonably well as the best stories tend to do. I am not sure if I shall dip into others of this author's works (for reasons given at the top) but neither do i rule out the possibility if I'm looking for a good read with nothing else to hand. Thank you for the pleasure you gave me Guy.

Catastrophe: Europe Goes to War 1914
Catastrophe: Europe Goes to War 1914
by Max Hastings

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity, 6 Oct. 2013
I think this coming centenary of the commencement of The Great War is going to bubble up an awful lot of comment, speculation, sentiment, criticism and condemnation. So I am truly glad that Max Hasting had this book ready in preparation. I details quite mercilessly the actual, regularly shameful, facts behind the web of treaties, competencies, competences and lack-of-competence of the various Powers and more particularly the Ruling and Elected Masters of Europe. Hastings suggests that the War was fumblingly started by the most remote upper echelons without any real knowledge being passed to those who they nominally served and who would die in the conflicts. The book is like a refreshing dash of cold water in the face and left me gasping in that sort of manner. These few words cannot truly image the full richness and horror of the tale he tells. Read it!

1066 and All That
1066 and All That
by W. C. Sellar

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 4 Sept. 2013
This review is from: 1066 and All That (Paperback)
How could anyone who knows the slightest part of British History fail to recognise this book as the classic it has been for the last 83 years. Mind you, if you have been educated under the recent, enlightened, form of History, then you could be well adrift as it mocks everything about history as it was once taught. So maybe its age might not be the best encouragement. However, if you read at all or listen to debates or watch documentaries you will hear, see or read 'bits' from '1066 and All That' quite regularly so fill your mind now, it's a short read which you could get through in an hour. Laugh a lot and enjoy knowing all you really need to know about History. Definitely A Good Thing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10