Profile for Mr. S. Whitcombe > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. Whitcombe

Mr. S. Whitcombe "S Whitcombe" (UK)

Junior Drum Set Practice Pads - FREE POSTAGE
Junior Drum Set Practice Pads - FREE POSTAGE
Offered by Rocksolid Music LTD
Price: 23.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great value for money, 14 Feb 2014
For the cost, there aren't enough pads, with nothing for the snare, and the high pad for the medium tom isn't big enough. I would think that there must be some table protecting material that you could fashion some for yourself that would do the same thing as these for a fraction of the cost and a better fit. In hindsight, that's what I should have done, and will do for the snare and base.

You Can Have an Amazing Memory: Learn life-changing techniques and tips from the memory maestro
Price: 3.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't remember reading better!, 20 Sep 2013
A brilliant read, the techniques take some investment of time and some personalisation, but it is well worth it if you do make the effort. It would take considerably longer to come up with the methodologies yourself, and it's great to get an insight into something that has obviously been completely life changing for the author. I just want a party trick, and maybe some more confidence at interviews, and I think it more than suffices for that. Already able to impress my kids on a first attempt at memorising a pack of cards.

How to Create a Mind: The Secret of Human Thought Revealed
How to Create a Mind: The Secret of Human Thought Revealed
Price: 8.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Started out great, 4 Aug 2013
Really interesting start but I thought it degenerated too much into a philosophical discussion. Would have liked a more practical guide!;-)

AcuLife Ear Wax Removal Syringe
AcuLife Ear Wax Removal Syringe
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Earily good, 25 Jun 2013
Well this works. Yes it might take time, but soooo much better than waiting for an appointment at the doctors to do it whilst you suffer clogged ears. Having used olive oil for a few days, I used roughly bath temperature water prepared a long time before hand in the kettle, then tested for comfortable temperature by hand, to blast out what I can only assume were biscuit crumbs left in my ears by my kids. I knew they were messy eaters but had no idea they were that bad! As per other reviewers here, it probably took thirty or forty refills of the syringe before I had finished.

Creative Inspire T10 Multimedia Speakers
Creative Inspire T10 Multimedia Speakers
Price: 29.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding good looking speakers, 12 May 2013
I bought these to replace a 5.1 speaker set that I'd had for donkeys years on the PC, but we got a new desk and I thought these would be a little more subtle. They sound great, a really crisp but meaty sound, that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up the first time you hear it. They're still attached to my PC though so probably lengthy listening would be tiring, I should probably buy a DAC!

I only give them 4 stars, because initially when I hooked them up there was quite a noticeable chirping sound coming from the left hand speaker. When I put my ear close to it I could hear a continuous burbling sound, and then when I put my ear next to the right hand speaker I could here it there too, just quieter, and again fairly regular little chirps. This was due to proximity with my wireless router, which is a fairly decent one with multiple frequency wireless networks. So, if you have to place the speakers right next to a wireless router, then perhaps these are not the ones to buy (as there were no such issues with my previous ones). I moved my router about 2 feet from the speakers, and now there's no interference at all, and I'm very happy with them.

Salus RT500RF Programmable Radio Frequency Room Thermostat
Salus RT500RF Programmable Radio Frequency Room Thermostat
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket
Price: 36.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, easy to program, 5 May 2013
O.k. the instructions for installation if you're replacing a thermostat that has just three wires going into it, are not there. Apart from that, the instruction booklet for operation is good, it's really easy to program, and the flexibility of placement of the thermostat part, and accuracy of the temperature make it a great purchase. I like the fact that I can have it switch down to 14 degrees at 10:30 at night automatically, because I no longer have to go back downstairs to check that I turned the heat down! It also has a frost mode and a sleep mode, all that you could want really.

BLACK INVISIBLE CONTROL IR EXTENDER KIT
BLACK INVISIBLE CONTROL IR EXTENDER KIT
Offered by Tektica
Price: 32.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and works well, 11 April 2013
This is controlling an x-box, slingbox, dvd player and apple tv, all concealed within a cabinet that otherwise stops you controlling things easily. I hooked the slingbox remote control ir up to it too, so when controlling the thing i'm slinging this goes back through the extender and this works fine. Weirdly some things that were always difficult to control, the x-box and the atv, unless you point directly at them with the remote, are still hard to control unless you point directly at the extender.
So overall good value and works well.

Salus RT300RF Radio Frequency Room Thermostat
Salus RT300RF Radio Frequency Room Thermostat
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket
Price: 35.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good thermostat, easy to install and use, 11 April 2013
Worked first time. I set the dip switches on the transmitter and removed a couple of the corresponding thingamabobs in the control unit as a precaution. Setup was quite simple and the instructions though not great are fine in the booklet provided. With a wall bracket that you could then put the control unit in, when using it in its usual location I'd give it 5 stars.

EPSON Stylus DX7450 Multifunction printer
EPSON Stylus DX7450 Multifunction printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 28 Nov 2008
I always buy Epson because you can get hold of non-branded cheap ink cartridges. The printer is great, I have had no difficulties with changing the cartridges (the wizard just prompts you) and they last a reasonable amount of time. When they don't it's because the wife and kids have been using it up! The only criticism is it doesn't have the enlarging options or the lcd display of the one it replaced and is getting pricey.