Profile for A.B. > Reviews

Content by A.B.

A.B.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Importance of Being Emma (Choc Lit) (Darcy & Friends Book 1)
The Importance of Being Emma (Choc Lit) (Darcy & Friends Book 1)
Price: 2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyable! I want to read more by this author now, 16 Dec 2011
I wasn't sure whether to buy this or not. I love chick lit, I love Jane Austen's Emma- but would I love a combination of the two? I was worried it would be an exact replica of the movie 'Clueless' or that it would be a really cheesy boon and mills type romance, but it was neither of these things. It was just a really great book! At first, I found it difficult to shake off the Jane Austen connection- I found myself constantly thinking 'ohhh that's like the part in Emma where...' and that ruined the enjoyment for a bit. However, once I got past that and started enjoying the book as if it was a fresh novel I'd never read before, I became really engrossed and couldn't put the book down. My advice is to try to look at this as a novel in it's own right, rather than as a new adaptation of a classic. It is well written and well modernised so if you put pre conceptions aside, I think you'll really enjoy this. It reads like any good quality chick lit book. I definitely want to read Juliet Archer's second Austen modern adaptation Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends) now and I hope the modern version of pride and prejudice is on the way- I'd love to read that!

NB My only issue with this book is when I read it (November 2011) there were various formatting issues. I reported this to amazon though, so hopefully they will be corrected soon.

It Started With A Kiss
It Started With A Kiss
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED this! Much better than her last two novels!!, 30 Nov 2011
This is the first book I've read by this author that I've truly loved. I've read her other two, and while they weren't bad, they just weren't that great either and always felt a bit so so. However, I'm pleased to say that I think this book is the one where the author has finally found her stride. This book is brilliant! Great plot, great characters and a fun format. So if in the past you've not thought much of Miranda Dickinson, look at this one with a fresh perspective. If you're a fan of this genre, then you don't want to miss this one. Plus, despite the wintery cover, it can be enjoyed at any time of the year as the book spans a full year so only starts and ends around Christmas time.

The Secret of Happy Ever After
The Secret of Happy Ever After
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the other two Longhampton books!!, 11 Nov 2011
I loved Lucy Dillon's other two books set in the fictional town of Longhampton, so couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. I started it the day I bought it and I loved it so much that I read it all in one night! I am pleased to say it is the best in the 'series' so far. I was worried that the mix of chick lit and dogs might get a bit boring by the third book but this feels completely fresh and original, whilst still managing to retain that Lucy Dillon magic.

If you've never read a Lucy Dillon book, you are in for a treat. Her novels are essentially chick lit, but they are a sublime example of the genre. They are easy to read, but the story lines are always completely absorbing and have a good amount of depth to them. Plus, Lucy Dillon writes dogs into her novels so brilliantly that the dogs feel like one of the main characters too.

You don't need to have read Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts or Walking Back To Happiness to enjoy this book. Although I called it a 'series' earlier, the only link between the books is that they are all set in the same fictional village and they all feature dogs prominently. Each book has a new set of main characters (both human and canine). There are occasional mentions of characters from the previous novels in this one, but not to the extent that you need to read the others first. However, I suggest you do anyway. The novels are written in such a way that if you read this book you're bound to fall in love with Lucy Dillon's style and immediately want to read the others too, so you may as well read them in order so that you can enjoy the little extra nuggets of information in this book about the main characters from other books.

Lucy Dillon fans won't be disappointed with this latest Longhampton book. Plus, if (like me) you've been a bookworm since childhood then you will particularly love the storyline in this novel. It had me longing to re-read all the childhood favourites again! I loved this and I'm already looking forward to the next book by this author- I hope it'll be another one set in Longhampton.

Wrapped Up In You
Wrapped Up In You
Price: 5.29

3.0 out of 5 stars unrealistic plot & not christmassy at all!, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: Wrapped Up In You (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book to read in the run up to Christmas- I love chick lit anyway and chick lit set around Christmas is my favourite thing to read in late November and December. However, I decided I couldn't wait to read this one because I love this author and other reviews had mentioned that it wasn't particularly christmassy so I thought I may as well go ahead.

Ok well, first of all, it isn't christmassy at all. The title and front cover are the most chistmassy part of it! Yes, it is set in the run up to Christmas, but other than a couple of mentions of the holiday season, it could be set any time! I think it is important to reiterate this point as others have done because people could be very disappointed otherwise.

The actual story itself is ok- but, quite frankly, the early romance stages are all a bit rushed and the plot is all a bit bizarre really. Bearing in mind the massive cultural differences, and the cost issue of travelling to see each other, would this relationship ever amount to anything more than a holiday romance in the real world? I'm not sure- and the speed at which the romance develops is just a bit odd and unrealistic in my opinion. It certainly makes the main character hard to identify with.

Having said all this, I enjoyed the story once I suspended all disbelief and accepted it for what it was. It's worth a read at some point, but I've read much better by this author and by others from this genre. I wouldn't necessarily place this on a 'must read for 2011' list and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for that perfect christmassy romantic read.

The Accidental Time Traveller
The Accidental Time Traveller
Price: 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, 17 Oct 2011
I absolutely loved this book. I picked it up on a whim in the summer sale, having never heard of the author, and I couldn't stop reading it. As a 23 year old, I know nothing about the 50s and I was immediately engrossed in both the time travel element and in the descriptions of everyday 1950s life. It is definitely chick lit with a twist, so non chick lit fans may not enjoy it as much as I did as I'm a massive chick lit fan anyway. However, anyone who does remember the 50s will probably get a real kick out of the nostalgia appeal. I highly recommend this, and even think it's worth paying the full bookshop RRP for. I also recommend the author's second novel The Lost Guide to Life and Love which I bought immediately after finishing this- it is completely different to this but still brilliant in its own way.

Mum's the Word
Mum's the Word
Price: 0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but nothing special, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Mum's the Word (Kindle Edition)
This book was one of many cheap chick lit reads I bought in the summer sale for less than a pound. If I'm being honest,as a massive fan of this genre, I thought this book was enjoyable but nothing special. I started it on a long train journey and it was certainly a pleasant way to kill the time, but once I was back in my daily routine I found I was looking forward to finishing it so I could start something better. There is nothing bad I can say about this book- it has likeable characters and the usual chick lit plot and is even quite amusing at times. However, that's pretty much all I can say about it- there was nothing remotely special about this one. It's good for a light fluffy beach read or as something to read while you're soaking in the bath and it's definitely not the worst example of this genre you'll find in the kindle store by a long shot. Personally though, I much preferred Lessons in Love by this author.

Wedding Tiers
Wedding Tiers
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars As a big fan of this author I found this disappointing, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Wedding Tiers (Kindle Edition)
Having only discovered this author's work in the last year or so, I have devoured plenty of her other books fairly recently and absolutely loved them. However, I'm afraid to say I found this one a bit mediocre. There's nothing in particular I can pin point to say why I found this one disappointing- on paper it has all the hallmarks of a great Trisha Ashley novel- but it just wasn't that good. In fact, I had to force myself to finish it which is never a good sign. If you're a big fan you'll probably want to read it just beacuse you love the author, but if you're new to this author's work then I'd suggest you start with a different one (maybe A Winter's Tale or Chocolate Wishes). This hasn;t put me off this author at all- I really am a big fan- I just think it is worth noting that this one isn't up to her usual standard in my opinion.

Welcome to My World
Welcome to My World

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special- good for a cheap read though, 14 Oct 2011
I'll be honest, I didn't love this author's first book and I only bought this because it was ridiculously cheap at the time. I am a massive fan of this genre, so I knew what to expect when I started this, and I like to think I'm not overly picky when it comes to this genre- but I did find this a bit dull and overly predicable. I can't really put my finger on what it was I disliked about this book- on paper it sounds pretty great- but it was just nothing special and instantly forgettable. It's a shame really- I would have liked to have seen that this author had developed a bit from her debut. Unfortunately she hasn't- if you've read her first book and like me you thought it was a bit so so then don't bother with this one as you end up with the same feeling after this one too. On the other hand, if you're a fan of this genre and have never tried anything by this author before then you may as well give it a go if it's still selling at the same price as a bar of chocolate. I've certainly read a lot worse in the cheap price bracket on my kindle than this. If the price has gone back up to something resembling a bookshop RRP though then I definitely wouldn't bother- there's plenty of other great stuff in this genre available on kindle to choose from. I feel like this author could write something great in the chick lit genre, but just hasn't quite managed it yet, so I'll probably still keep my eye out for her future work in the hope she improves with practice.

Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe?
Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe?
Price: 0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars This book deserves all its 5 star ratings- loved it!, 14 Oct 2011
When I bought this book in the summer sale, it was one of many I had bought in this genre and it got pushed to the back of the queue. Having just finished it, I really wish I'd read it immediately. If you are a fan of this genre, you will love this book- it is the perfect chick lit book. It has great characters, a rich plot, and a satisfying ending. I actually read this in a day while I was in bed with a virus and it cheered me up no end! Initially I was sceptical about all the 5 star reviews, thinking they must be over blown reviews by friends, but as an impartial reviewer and massive fan of the genre, I can happily say it deserves all the 5 star reviews. It's a little gem of a chick lit read and I can't recommend it enough. I was sad to finish it (despite the fact I've got loads more similar reads stacked up on my kindle) and all I want to know now is when is the next book by this author out? I'll definitely be at the front of the queue! The only thing I would say is non fans of the genre should probably stay clear- it won't convert them- but fans will lap it up! I'd even happily pay full book shop RRP for this one, which says it all really in my book!!

The Lost Guide to Life and Love
The Lost Guide to Life and Love
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED this!, 14 Oct 2011
This was one of many chick lit books I picked up in the summer sale, and I bought it after reading and loving The Accidental Time Traveller by the same author. This book feels very different to Sharon Griffith's first novel- yes it incorporates some similar ideas such as the focus on family and family roots- but there is no time travel type twist in this one. It is a bit more of a bog standard chick lit formula (which is by no means a bad thing in my genre- the formula works so why change it?!)

Fans of the genre will love this book- it has a rich plot with characters that you can't help but root for and a deliciously satisfying ending (whereas the ending in The Accidental Time Traveller was the one thing that let it down in my opinion). I highly recommend this and I hope to see more by this author available on kindle soon- I'd definitely buy more from her!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7