Profile for K Brown > Reviews

Content by K Brown

K Brown (U.K)

NRG "connect and forget" Battery charger fits all Powakaddy, Motocaddy and Hillbilly batteries
Offered by NRG Power Systems
Price: 31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient charger, 2 July 2012
This is a sound product so far. It 'does what it says on the tin' I've had it for several weeks now and it works just fine AND its cheaper than the branded alternative.

The Garden in Art
The Garden in Art
by Debra Mancoff
Price: 11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book - well presented with excellent illustrations., 15 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Garden in Art (Hardcover)
I paint pictures of gardens quite often and this book was a great help as an inspiration to my work and in developing my style. It comprises some really superb reproductions of paintings from many cultures, Murghal and far eastern pictures for example, not just western art. It covers work over a long historic time period from medieval books of hours right up to Stanley Spencer. The pictures are not just the 'usual suspects' and although there are some romantic pictures selected the book tends to eschew the more twee examples of the representation of verdure in favor of a very thought provoking range of works. The paintings featured are individually described in detail with fascinating background information. The book is divided up into chapters relating to the genre or type of gardens portrayed, (e.g. Working Gardens, Public Gardens, The Garden as a Metaphor), which in my opinion enhances ones understanding and the way one approaches garden paintings as a whole. I thoroughly recommend this book. I treasure it and it is a prized addition to my library.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2013 3:49 PM BST

Fractal Design Define Mini Series Micro ATX Case - Black Pearl
Fractal Design Define Mini Series Micro ATX Case - Black Pearl
Price: 61.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 15 Jan 2012
I am very pleased with this case. I used it to build my fourth (or is it fifth?) computer. Of the cases I have used it is far and away the easiest to work with and to use with the finished system I have built. An elegant design, the stuff I put in it located well and it all works fine. A very well designed product, I am very satisfied with it - highly recommended.

Sacra Terra: Angelic Night (PC CD)
Sacra Terra: Angelic Night (PC CD)
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric - Not difficult but strangely absorbing during a bucolic Christmas, 15 Jan 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is the first game like this I have played - it was a surprise present and I enjoyed it. It didn't take forever to complete - I spent an absorbing few hours playing it and the result was satisfying. Good graphics and a repetitive but not too annoying sound track helped. It somehow draws you in. I recommend it as an amusing distraction if you've got a few hours to kill.

Addictaball Large Maze 1 Puzzle Game
Addictaball Large Maze 1 Puzzle Game
Offered by Vinsani
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Devilishly frustrating yet totally addictive., 31 Dec 2010
A well made and presented maze puzzle. It needs patience and dexterity to solve - I'm still trying! It has many innovative traps and puzzles within it. It is absorbing and an interesting object to tinker with in a spare ten minutes. Its quite refreshing to have some entertainment that does not require batteries or any electronic connections at all. I've always liked ball mazes and this one is one of the best so far. A great buy.

Classical Painting Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice
Classical Painting Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice
by Juliette Aristides
Price: 14.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Classical Painting Atelier, 14 Aug 2010
This really is a beautiful book. With carefully selected examples the author gives an excellent insight into timeless techniques of painting. The illustrations are excellent, the reproductions of good quality and entirely appropriate to the text. The style of the text I found to be very readable and it held my attention well. It was not too dry and it was written with assured authority. It has led me to look at the work of some of the artists featured in greater depth and it has made a considerable difference to my approach to painting. It explained many concepts I have never previously grasped about how certain effects were achieved by classical painters. It is not really a beginners book but I would heartily recommend it to any serious painter aspiring to improve their techniques, particularly if working in oils.

Flambards
Flambards
by K M Peyton

5.0 out of 5 stars captivating, heart warming, 2 Nov 2009
This review is from: Flambards (Paperback)
This is one of the best books i have ever read. I read it when i was young, and read it about once every year. (it's quite a quick book to read). despite it being a children's book it contains an underlying theme that is quite adult in it's context.

it is part of a 4 book series and is the first one in the series. It follows an orphan girl through the beginning of the 20th century and is about her going to live with her uncle and 2 cousins in the country. As the book progresses she gets much older and the book follows her through a dramatically changing society from an ordinary girl who knows little of politics or real world situations perspective. I loved the way in which the book shows her naivety about life. it's honest and refreshing because it shows what a sheltered life she and many other girls in her time led and the mistakes she makes are believable when you look at the way she is bought up.

The series deals with the war, suffragette's and class issues in a thought provoking and heart warming way. You also see the effect that these three issues have on the other characters ranging from poor servants at a time when servants were becoming less and less of a need for in smaller households and the wars effect on her family and cousins.

It's a great book for kids and adults and i would recommend it to anyone but it's perfect for parent and child reading.

The cover makes it look like a silly horse book but it isn't so don't buy it thinking that's what your going to get because you won't.