Profile for GarethK > Reviews

Pioneer Bdp450
Pioneer Bdp450
Offered by Richer Sounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value player, 26 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Pioneer Bdp450 (Electronics)
I have been using this product for three weeks and have to say that for the money, the Pioneer BDP-450 is an absolute bargain. It has twin HDMI to split video and audio signals, it plays SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD, Blu-Ray, CD and so far every format of video I have tried. Now being able to play everything is pointless unless it's played well, the Pioneer delivers a performance that would rival much more e pensive universal players.

Set up is simple so long as you follow the clear instructions. If you're after a smart player, the Pioneer won't let you watch Netflix etc, but you can go online for updates and BDLive. This is the only negative I can say about the player and it's not a major issue in reality.

The remote is well laid out and you can also download Pioneer's app to control the player with your iPad for example. On my rack the player is very discrete and in use is silent with the option to turn the display off completely.

Blu-Ray films are presented in deep, rich colours and sound as the director meant it to with more than enough audio options to please everyone. The opening scene of Saving Private Ryan is delivered in superb detail with sounds zooming around the room. The Pioneer keeps up with the fast paced video and audio bringing the brutal reality of war into the room. Another movie I tried was Gravity, and again the BDP-450 delivered the film in amazing clarity. Deep, dark blacks with rich colours and atmospheric sound gives the viewer a visual and audio treat.

Now for the BDP-450's party piece, the multi-format capability. I have a large CD, SACD & DVDAudio collection and have to say that this player produces amazing audiophile sound quality. Peter Gabriel's So album on SACD through the player is simply stunning. The player plays the 5.1 surround in such amazing quality and detail it has to be heard to be believed. Every note, instrument and vocal is dug out and presented on a wide sound state that wraps around you. Bass is deep and rich, highs are delicate and detailed whilst mid range is full of rhythm, drive and power. It's the same with Led Zeppelin How The West Was Won on DVDAudio, the surround sound is so good, you could be in the studio with the band. Page's guitar riffs slam and grind with speed against Plant's vocals with Bonzo's drum slamming you in the chest whilst JPJ's bass drives the rhythm along.

There is not a bad thing to be said against the Pioneer BDP-450, it's stunning value for money, it plays everything and plays it with such quality you'll be amazed and very pleased indeed.

RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity and quality, 3 Jan. 2013
First of all, the packaging is sturdy and well presented and I like the selection of replacement ear buds too (there is 7 in total of varying sizes). The chord is 1.5mtr long, covered in braid to help prevent damage and the ear pieces are truly stunning. As the box states, they are based on a trumpets bell, crafted from aircraft grade aluminum, make no mistake these are of a very high build quality. The in line remote is situated on the RH and sits just inline with the mouth to allow use of the mic for making phone calls.

So far so good then. On first listen I used the buds that were already on, but these were not right for me. After some time experimenting with the various sized buds, I found the ones that suited me personally. It is worth mentioning here that changing the buds is quite tricky due to the tight fit but after several attempts I found it got easier. I recommend experimenting with the different buds as the effort of finding the ones for you to get the best form the RHA 450i is well rewarded.

The 3.5mm jack plug is gold plated and has a quality feel, it inserted easily into the devices. Playing my wide ranging music through my Blackberry 9780 Bold on random I have to say on first listen I was gob smacked at the detail these little aluminum speakers delivered. The first song I listened to was from Led Zeppelin, Gallows Pole, a very familiar song but through the RHA450i, it sounded brand new. You could hear every strum of Paige's guitar, hear his fingers slide up and down the neck with Bonham's drums driving the tempo of the song. Then Plant's voice, it sounded so very clear the space these little marvels created is amazing. You are in the studio with these guys, right there with them. Next up, Tina Dico (from Zero 7) Warm Sand, the warmth and tone of Tina's voice reproduced impeccably. The sound stage image these headphones creates is truly amazing, you hear things never heard before, like on Tool's The Pot, hearing not just drums, heavy bass and guitars, suddenly I could hear more percussion, the individual notes from each instrument and some disturbing voices (typical Tool!) that were new to me. Rudimental ft John Newman Feel The Love came next and I was again surprised at how good the music sounded. The bass was deep, not as low as some headphones I have owned but it was detailed and went low enough for me personally. Again the sound image that these little earphones creates is truly breath taking, I sat listening for several hours without any discomfort and a big smile on my face. Happy knowing that I had only to part with £40 for these little marvels. The RHA450i's would in my opinion, give much more expensive models a run for the money, they are that good. My last earphones, Sennheiser CX880 and Shure SE115 are both more expensive yet the RHA's perform equally for a lot less with a 3year guarantee.

In conclusion, the RHA 450i's give an amazingly detailed open sound that will have you revisiting your MP3 collection. However, if you want brain shaking bass, the RHA's wont be for you, but if you want to hear every single note played out vividly, openly and in stunning clarity. the beautifully made and bargain priced RHA450i's are highly recommended.