Profile for N. Sargent > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
BabyDan Magnetic Cupboard/Drawer Lock
BabyDan Magnetic Cupboard/Drawer Lock

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 25 Dec 2013
I can't really understand why other reviewers have trouble assembling and mounting this is. It's trivial. It took me just about two minutes to put the thing together and stick it on using the built in sticky pads. The trick is to keep the two parts fixed together while you do it, then everything lines up. It's really very simple.

I was a little worried at first though, because although perfectly lined up the system didn't seem to reliably lock and once it's stuck it's not easy to move.. However, I think was due to 'play' in the system before the pads fully dried, as after 24 hours the system locks much more reliably. We both love the simplicity and effectiveness of this with nothing on show and the fact that the drawers do not open at all when locked - unlike other systems which require you to pull the drawer partially open (and so still let baby trap his fingers)

I've tried a few and in my opinion this is the best all round locking system.

Bigjigs Toys BB014 Chunky Lift and Match Farm Puzzle
Bigjigs Toys BB014 Chunky Lift and Match Farm Puzzle

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about the chicken..., 25 Dec 2013
This toy is lovely and well made but it's hard to comprehend the exact size of the shapes from the pictures. It's slightly smaller than I imagined so when I opened it I was a bit concerned the pieces were too small and could be swallowed. To be fair they are very chunky so in general cannot go all the way into the mouth, but our wee fella has quite a big mouth (even at 11 months) and he can get the chicken most of the way into his mouth - for this reason we have a taken the chicken out of circulation. Otherwise this is a lovely toy and he loves playing with it.

Safe Dreams Safebreathe Patch Soft Toys for Newborn (White)
Safe Dreams Safebreathe Patch Soft Toys for Newborn (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for nervous new parents!, 7 Nov 2013
We were actually given this toy for our newborn and were delighted with it (in fact we bought another, which is what this review is for).
What's good about it, is it is safe for babies of any age - its padding is fairly rigid (so doesn't just completely compress around baby's face) and it is "aerated" - i.e. has lots of small holes (pores, I suppose) throughout its structure. This means that even if baby were to have his/her face right up against the toy, it wouldn't stop the air flow. This is what makes it safe for tiny babies, as they could easily choke or suffocate on regular fabrics.

It's quite a large toy - which again means it's not the kind of thing baby can swallow (although our 9 month old now likes to chew the feet and ears :-) ) - Our baby loves it..

Loypack UK 1000 wooden coffee drink stirrers
Loypack UK 1000 wooden coffee drink stirrers
Offered by Bar Equipment Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Wooden and "Sticky", 7 Oct 2013
Well, they're wooden. And they're "sticky" (stick-like, not adhesive of course).... What more can you say, does exactly what's intended...

eSynic® 1080 HDMI to 5 RCA RGB Ypbpr AV Component Video + R/L Stereo Audio Converter Adapter for SKY HD Blu Ray DVD APPLE TV PS3
Offered by eSynic

3.0 out of 5 stars Ended up swapping it, but customer service was great, 1 Sep 2013
I've given an average star rating for this because I couldn't get it to work BUT I wasn't really able to resolve whether this was a device problem or my TV which is a 10 yr old Panasonic plasma (standard definition)

Either way, Esynic the supplier were BRILLIANT in their customer service and sorted me out with the alternative composite device and refunded the difference. They even had to send 2 as the first one got lost in the post - but I cannot fault their customer service, and I'm now up and running as I wanted (ie Apple TV on my old TV).

Also, something that's worth noting: I discovered I had no audio inputs on my component input on the telly, so actually this wouldn't have been as useful as the current solution. This is an issue with my TV not the device.

JBL Charge Bluetooth Wireless Speaker - Blue
JBL Charge Bluetooth Wireless Speaker - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars A very happy purchase, 8 July 2013
This is a brilliant bit of kit.
I bought this with several purposes in mind and it satisfies all of them well:
1) something to take from room to room to play music and sound from apps to my baby, wherever he is
2) to use in my kitchen when watching iPlayer or TV on my iPad to improve the sound
3) to take outdoors (again usually with the baby) to have sound when we are picknicking etc.
4) to take with me to hotels etc. to have better sound & to be able to charge the phone.

Really it's fantasic - there is no point me covering the tech specs, they are already published - but tell you about operational experience.

Pros:
What a great sound! I can't believe the depth of sound that comes from this device. Ok, so let's be clear, this is not going to shatter your chest like a subwoofer does, but the addition of the bass port on this makes a world of difference to the sound. Stick it in a corner to get the reflected sound too and I can hear this all over the house. There's a risk of bass distortion if the input sound is too bassy already, but the rest of the time this is more than loud enough for the uses I have described above.

What a great idea being able to charge your phone - super convenient - and as yet I have never run this flat, even after several hours' use.

very convenient that is designed to stand or lie

great build quality

Cons:
some apps just refuse to work over bluetooth - this is an app problem, not a problem with this device - but one I discovered the other night was "gotomeeting" when i wanted to listen into a webcast. Wouldn't transmit over bluetoooth. As I say, this is an issue with the APP, not this device, but something to consider for your own use-case.

Another issue, again more to do with devices rather than this speaker per se, is that my iphone tends to connect to this quicker than my ipad, so "steals" the connection when I want to use it with my ipad. The usual fix is to turn off bluetooth on the iphone - this of course will be easier with iOS7. There's no control on the speaker for dictating which devices are connected, it's luck of the draw. So it's a bit tedious until iOS7 comes along.

I don't regret for a minute buying this, despite the expensive price tag. Would be nice if they managed to sneak it under £100 though...

CafeTutto Capsules Taster Pack (Pack of 2, Total of 50 Capsules)
CafeTutto Capsules Taster Pack (Pack of 2, Total of 50 Capsules)

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but it's not nespresso, 25 May 2013
Bought these with high expectations based on other reviews, but have to say I'm somewhat underwhelmed. I'll cover both the coffee and the capsules themselves.

The coffee: it's ok, but for me it's not as whole bodied as the nespresso originals. I'm no coffee guru but I know the tastes I like and still prefer nespresso - stronger, more 'wholesome' flavours. Don't get me wrong - there's nothing intrinsically wrong with these flavours, but somehow they just seem a tad more bland, as it they don't fill your mouth as much.

The capsules: so, yes, the capsules are compatible. I never understood from other reviews why they were harder to he into the machine, so finally I'm going to explain. No, they are not 'nearly' the right size. They are absolutely the right size.. The 'hard' bit comes when you close the 'lid' of your machine, during which process it punctures the capsules from behind, so water can pass through.. This is the stiff bit (so stiff in fact my partner won't attempt it for fear of breaking the machine) - it's stiff because of the plastic shell of the capsules, which is much tougher to puncture than the aluminium nespresso equivalent. It's also a bit stiffer in reverse, trying to 'unpuncture'. Ok, so my machine hasn't broken, but actually I don't like this - it feels like having to apply force it wasn't designed for, so this is one reason I will discontinue use of these capsules.

The other reason is it seems to cause my machine to leak a lot more - there's much more internal dripping and indeed eternal from the output nozzle - so much so I often find my drip tray completely full and have had a few worktop floods as a result. I suspect that the foil cover on the capsules somehow doesn't seal as well as the nespresso cover..whatever the reason, I'm getting tired of cleaning up so much stray water... My machine is 7 or more years old, so it's not as perfect as day 1, but there's no doubt these capsules seem to result in more leakage.

So, for all the reasons above I'm glad I tried these but I won't continue with them. I don't think he marginal saving in price is worth the trade off for taste and water leakage. Also, they are a pain to recycle - to do so you have to separate the foil cover from the plastic capsule and empty the coffee grounds.. Way too much mess and hassle for me.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, for a great price, 26 Nov 2012
I was a little disconcerted to read the previous reviewer's comments about "crackling cable". :)
Anyway, I didn't suffer from this.
These cables are great - they basically do what they say on the tin, for a fraction of the price of an apple equivalent. I have used the cables for charging and syncing photos. I have bought two and both work perfectly.

Importantly, they fit correctly. (I bought a similar product from elsewhere, and it fits way too tightly - i daren't use it for fear of damaging the connector socket on the phone).

I've bought several of these, and even on the default shipping option they have shipped really quickly - and usually been with me in under 48 hours. Can't say fairer than that! As I say, I own a few and I've stuck a whole load on my Amazon wishlist for Christmas and will be perfectly happy to have half a dozen or more around the house, in the car and in every travel bag...

Addendum added 3rd Dec.
One of the other reviews is a friend and I suggested these cables & the one he got ONLY worked for charging. Judging by the other reviews too, it looks like it's totally hit and miss as to whether you get one that works perfectly, or one that barely works at all. Mine is used on an iPhone 5 and I have used it in the PC USB port, in a car USB charger and wall charger - all without issue..

Addendum added 14th Dec
Having seen further reviews, I feel my review of my two cables should no longer be taken as an endorsement. It seems it is completely hit and miss as to whether you get a cable that works 100%, 50% or 0%. While the cables I received were perfect and worked 100% and my review is based on that, I would no longer recommend these in general because it seems the supplier may have multiple sources of varying quality. My recommendation would be to look for something with more reliable reviews.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2 + Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens Advanced 16GB Lens Total Package

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value but some oddities, 8 Feb 2012
This package represents incredible value. At the time of writing almost certainly the best deal on the internet for this kit. For the camera and lens alone the price represents excellent value, so with all the extras, it is clearly even better.

However, that leads me to the next point. I don't really understand why this kit is shipped with extras that are practically useless for this system (I'd rather pay less overall):

1) A "gorillapod" style tripod for a compact camera? unusable with something this weight
2) lenses & filters supplied at 72mm when the main lens is 77mm. Sure, there is one converter ring supplied but this is an inadequate solution (for example, causes vignetting on wide angle). Not a pro solution.
3) the card reader supplied is very cheap and nasty - mine didn't work, certainly not with the supplied card
4) the cleaning kit had leaked and was useless
5) the flash gun is not a proper flash gun (e.g. with hot shoe) - it is a very cheap and nasty "slave" flash which triggers when another flash goes off nearby.

The camera bag is handy as a carrier for the camera and lens (it's not big enough for much else.

The camera came in a box that clearly states that is part of a canon kit - for a different lens - so it seems this supplier is splitting up bundled kits in order to meet the price point. In fact the supplied lens did not come in an official canon box which bothered me, although it is the genuine article. This also robbed me of the potential canon cashback deal for buying this camera and lens (and sending in the barcodes). I like suppliers to be up front about what they are supplying.

The thing that bugged me the most was that this shipped from the US to the UK and this was not completely obvious from the listing - the two issues with this:

1) the electrical items (chargers) are US plugs. An adapter is supplied but it is a cheap and ugly solution - not something a pro-level photographer wants as it's the kind of thing you could lose on a hectic shoot.
2) The company has avoided import duty by marking the package as "accessories value £15" - the bottom line is, this is fraudulent - and not everyone wants to deal with such companies. Makes me nervous about returns and warranty as normal UK rules would not apply.

This also explains the fairly hefty shipping cost.

As I say, I personally like suppliers to be up-front.

Rosendahl Men's VA Multifuctional Digital Watch 43296 with Blue Polyurathane Strap

4.0 out of 5 stars Begging for people to ask me the time, 1 Aug 2011
Finally, the other day someone said "Hey, what a cool watch!!"

I've given this 4 stars because it is a beautiful, stylish, easy-to-wear, no-fuss watch - such an elegant design. But it loses one star because underneath the skin it's really just a basic digital watch functionality - the type you could get for about £10. So you really are paying (a lot) for the design.

A few people have sneered at the retro look - I think they are missing the point. This watch is beautiful to wear and look at, and if that's what floats your boat, you won't regret wearing it.

Things to look out for though:

1) You adjust the strap by cutting it to size - so if you are planning on losing or gaining a lot of weight, you'll need to be careful how you cut it
2) I consider the buttons "back to front" compared to all the other digital watches I have had, and still find this confusing. Not really a major issue, just bit of brain re-training

Page: 1 | 2