ARRAY(0x9e8deef4)

Dvd ~ Michael Mcintyre
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes your cheeks hurt!, 2 Sep 2009
I love this guy! He is one of my favourite stand up comics and this DVD was well worth the money. In fact I first bought this DVD at Christmas 2008 for my then boyfriend and enjoyed it so much that when we split up I just had to make another purchase and keep it for myself.

This is a great DVD to watch by yourself, with your partner or with friends. I dont think I know one person who doesn't find Michael Mcintyre a comedic genius.

I love his upper class mannerisms and annecdotes, and also how despite his priviledged background he still understands and relates to his WHOLE audience and invites people to laugh with him and at him.

I will be pre-ordering his next stand up DVD, I can't wait to see it.

Scarlett [1994] [Dutch Import]
Scarlett [1994] [Dutch Import]
Dvd ~ Joanne Whalley

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining sequel, 22 Jun 2009
I read the book Scarlett just after I read Gone with the Wind and was desperate to see the DVD. This was really entertaining and nice to see the second part of the story as Gone with the Wind feels too unfinished.

However, the last episode of the DVD does not match the book, in fact it is wildly different. In the book Scarlett is turned on by her Irish villagers and Rhett races to her after finding out she is engaged to Lord Fenton, where he tells her he loves her, she introduces him to his child and they escape Ireland together. In the DVD Scarlett is accused of murdering Lord Fenton and stands trial in London, where Rhett comes to assist her and she tells him of his child. He finds the woman responsible for Lord Fenton's murder and he and Scarlett are re-united.

I have no idea why they changed the book as this was quite confusing and in my opinion the book version was more believable and romantic.

None the less this is still a nice ending to the story and satisfying.

The Tudors: Complete Series 1 And 2  [DVD]
The Tudors: Complete Series 1 And 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Offered by AGJ1965
Price: 19.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of entertainment, 18 Jun 2009
This is hands down the best value DVD collection I have ever bought.

Each episode is like a mini film, the quality is fantastic, the acting is incredible, costumes are fabulously intricate and the script is enthralling.

I bought this DVD knowing I would be lying low recovering from surgery for a few days and wanted something longer than a 2 hour film to keep me occupied. I had no idea I would be glued to the set, watching episode after episode back to back over the course of the few days. And as soon as I had got to the end I restarted from episode 1 again.

Jonathan Rhys-Myers' Henry VIII is dark, exciting, attractive and very intense. The rest of the casting is perfect, including the sultry and provocative Anne Boleyn who manages to capture the King's heart and play him for her and her families advancement.

This is a visual treat, and provides an insight into the history and politics of the era with characters like Cardinal Wollsey, Thomas Moore, Oliver Cromwell, Henry VII, Anne Boleyn, Katherine of Aaragon, and the courts of France, Spain and Portugal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2010 5:40 PM BST

Carmen Electra: Aerobic Striptease [DVD]
Carmen Electra: Aerobic Striptease [DVD]
Dvd ~ Carmen Electra
Offered by 247dvd
Price: 3.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Volume 0.5, 18 Jun 2009
I felt a little confused and cheated with this... Sure it sounds great to get 6 routines. But when you put the disk in you will find you get one warmup with instructions, the same warmup with no instructions, one routine with instructions, the same routine with no instructions, and another routine with instructions, and guess what? yes, the same routine with no instructions. So basically I have a warm up, and 2 routines. Fine. But hardly a whole DVD's worth. Surely they could have cut out the wasted space of having routines with no instructions (obviously for the male market who have bought the DVD to watch Carmen Electra rather than the women who have bought the DVD to follow the workout/routines and learn them) and combine some of these many many volumes onto fewer DVD's and given us all better value for money?

The routines are fun, and relatively easy to do, but I can see this being one of those DVD's you leave on the shelf after the first two trys.

The Italian's Forced Bride (Mills & Boon Modern)
The Italian's Forced Bride (Mills & Boon Modern)
by Kate Walker

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written trash, 18 Jun 2009
I know this book is supposed to be light reading chick lit, but honestly... it was so poorly written that I couldn't believe that it would be this easy to get published.

Terrible. Stereotypical. Trashy.

Jonbenet
Jonbenet
by Steve Thomas
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars The truth behind the Ramsey's lies and the botched police work, 18 Jun 2009
This review is from: Jonbenet (Mass Market Paperback)
I really wanted to know more about this case than the brief news articles I had read. And this book really delivered.

When I was shopping around for the right book on the case I ignored the Ramsey's book, I wanted an unbiased representation of the facts and I didn't think I would get this from the prime suspects, or from any journalists who reported on the case and knew nothing more than what they had speculated on or dug around and heard second hand.

Steve Thomas worked the JonBenet case. He had first hand experience of the Ramsey's, their lawyers, the DA and the truth behind all of the lies.

Before reading this book I knew the basics but not much, and I honestly went through stages of thinking the Ramsey's were guilty and not guilty. This book changed all that. I now believe 100% that Patsy Ramsey is directly responsible for her daughter's death, and John Ramsey either facilitated this or indirectly caused it.

The Ramsey's hired lawyers hours after the body was found. They pulled up a wall of uncooperation between themselves and the police at a time when any normal parent would be desperately trying to find the criminal and helping the police wherever needed. They refused to help or even to talk to police. They cleared the crime scene. They named all of their closet friends as suspects. They encouraged all of their friends to remain silent to the police. And most tellingly, they lied to the police and the media. Steve Thomas pays attention to every look, gesture, comment, statement, inconsistency and exposes the Ramsey's as liars. He exposes the DA Office as lazy, cowardly, and incompetent in their handling of the case.

You will be sickened by the handling of this case as well as the nature of the crime, and the behaviour of the parents.

All the evidence Thomas presents leads to an unbelievable case against Pasty Ramsey. A case that was never allowed to be filed due to the corruption of the Boulder political police system.

A great account.

I would have liked an update on the story though, this stops before Patsy dies and the "confession" of the man in Thailand that is later disproved.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2011 3:31 PM BST

No Turning Back
No Turning Back
by Joanne Lees

5.0 out of 5 stars No turning back is a real page turner, 18 Jun 2009
This review is from: No Turning Back (Paperback)
I remembered watching Murder in the Outback on television so when I saw this book I thought I would give it a go. I'm not normally one for non-fiction but I have to say that I found this book an absolute page turner.

It is terrible to hear what Joanne Lees went through - the victim of a terrible crime, away from home, grieving the loss of a loved one, and totally alone with the police watching your every move with a skeptical and unfeeling manner. It is truly anyones worst nightmare. But what makes this an unforgettable story is how you can identify with her... it is not a Hollywood story with clear and uncomplicated characters and clear black and gray areas, this is real, the relationship had problems, Joanne was not a very open person, perhaps at times she did little to divert the cloud of suspiscion that hung over her. But all of these things add to the realness of it, you feel her desperation and misery, and you are drawn in to the story. I couldn't stop reading and raced towards the end.

At times I did feel that Joanne still found it difficult opening up and preffered to keep some details private, such as her affair with fellow traveller whilst still with Pete. She skims over things and moves on quite quickly. This was frustrating as we don't get a fair representation, it is very much skewed to her own personal feelings and what she chooses to reveal. I think this is quite representative of her personality and something that made it hard for people to warm to her, and cast doubt on her sincerity and emotions after Pete's dissapearance, and caused the police to view her with suspicion.

We may never know what happened to Pete after Murdoch left Joanne hiding in the bush, which is sad and frustrating. I feel real sympathy for Joanne and everything she went through that night and in the trials afterwards. I'm pleased that justice was done in the end. I hope one day Murdoch can give his family some peace and help the police find Pete's remains. This is an emotional and shocking story, read it.

Helen Of Troy [DVD]
Helen Of Troy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sienna Guillory
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Face That Launched 1,000 ships, 31 July 2006
This review is from: Helen Of Troy [DVD] (DVD)
I've studied Classics for the past 3 years and am a real fan of the epics, and this version of the Trojan War explores much more of the story than the blockbuster Troy. For instance we see more of the relationship between Paris and Helen and her life before her fateful decision to leave Sparta. In Troy the action begins with Helen and Paris already together. The epic places the blame for the war on Helen's decsion so it was an odd choice for Troy to totally steam past all of this. I love this version, Helen and Agamemnon are marvelously cast, along with Clytemnestra and Cassandra. Achillies and Menelaus however are appalling, with Paris not far behind them. But if your after a good story that covers more than just the battle scenes then go for this one. It covers the legend of Helen's divine birth, her childhood, her family, her supposed curse, her engagement to Menelaus and the attraction Agamemnon feels for her, her meeting with Paris, her decision to leave Sparta, and the war that results. It also ends correctly with Paris defeated and Helen returning home with her true husband. This is the better version, unchanged by Hollywood. Watch it for a better insight.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2013 9:49 PM GMT

The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail
The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail
by Richard Leigh

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Live Up To The Hype, 31 July 2006
After the spectacular success of The Da Vinci Code (excluding the movie)I have to say I was expecting more from this book. If you're looking for a more in depth explanation of the theory put forward in the fictional Dan Brown bestseller, then to some extent this provides it. However, the reader may get bogged down by the extensive ins and outs of what seems like the entire history of France. The Bible gets only a fraction of the attention paid to France and the family lineages, which is frustrating considering their sensationalist conclusions. I would have liked a little less monotony as some of the chapters and sub-sections (despite their interesting titles) seem to be much the same thing over and over again. Perhaps in time the authors will be able to base their claims, entertaining though they most deffinately are, on a more solid framework. I so wanted to believe this, and in a way I did get sucked in, but I would have liked a little more to go on to truly convert me to their way of thiking. As it stands it reads like a losely threaded together novel, lacking that extra blow that would really set it apart. I also found it hard going in places, and it took me far longer to read than other books, as I really had to force myself to pick it up sometimes. Deffinately not one for the casual reader, you really have to be patient with this one!

North and South: Book 2 [DVD]
North and South: Book 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kirstie Alley
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first, 7 Feb 2006
Everything about this mini series screems quality, from the memorable music score, the amazing costumes, the great cast, and the fabulously captivating story of war, frienship, principles, love, history and politics. Everything you could ever want in a drama! And Patrick Swayzee at his best! The characters will engross you, the plot lines are detailed and provoking. I have never seen a better piece of television, or film for that matter!
This second book is where the story gets even better with the turmoil of the civil war, and the turmoil back home with Justin bent on keeping Madeline, and Ashton plotting with the evil Bent. George and Orry fight on oposite sides and their friendship suffers.

Page: 1 | 2