Profile for P. Kaye > Reviews

Content by P. Kaye

P. Kaye "Third Woman" (Buckinghamshire, England)

My Animals and Other Family
My Animals and Other Family
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars My Animals and Other Family, 12 Jan 2013
Beautifully written, at times painfully honest and a joy to read. I did not want it to finish. Thank you Clare.

Love, Sex and Tesco's Finest Cava
Love, Sex and Tesco's Finest Cava
Price: 1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Love,sex and Tesco finest cava, 6 Jan 2013
I thought it was total rubbish, only chose it because it was a free borrow on Amazon prime. Obviously I am not in the target audience being female and over the age of 12.

Nella Last's War: The Second World War Diaries of 'Housewife, 49'
Nella Last's War: The Second World War Diaries of 'Housewife, 49'
by Richard Broad
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars You saw the TV Drama, now do, PLEASE, read the book!, 24 Jan 2007
Having seen Victoria Wood's wonderful period drama last year, Father Christmas heard my request and kindly brought me the book.

I have deliberately taken several weeks to read it because I wanted to savour and enjoy it to the full.

We are so lucky that Nella Last decided to join the Mass Observation Project as she had a natural talent for writing about the everyday "nitty gritty" of the war years. Even though most of us will have heard stories from parents and grandparents about life in the war, inevitably they will be dominated by what the men did. This is wartime life on a daily basis as seen through the eyes of a middle-aged woman who happily writes about everything - shopping, cooking, worrying about her sons, her health, her inexhaustible wish to "do something", sleep deprivation, sex (yes, sex!) - it's all there. Obviously the MOP sent out questionnaires from time to time requesting particular information, but Nella uses her diary to chronicle her innermost thoughts with a very heavy emphasis on her marriage, her undying love for her boys and especially "a woman's lot". She could see that when the war was over (assuming that Germany did not win) life would be very different for young women about to embark on marriage. They would not be happy to spend their entire life fitting everything in around their husband's wishes and needs and she was very envious of this.

She does not give many details regarding her life before the Second World War but it is very easy to read between the lines and realise that her bouts of ill health and depression were obviously very strongly linked to a dominent and domineering husband and in-laws.

However, the war is the making of Nella as she demonstrates again and again her various artistic talents, her inexhaustible energy and her undying positive and optimistic spirit - at least when other people are present.

I loved this book so much for its honesty, detail and courage and was so very sad when I reached the end. I bought it as a birthday present for one friend and have lent my copy to another, by the time I get it back I will probably read it again!

Botswana Time
Botswana Time
by Will Randall
Price: 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Botswana Time, 8 Jun 2006
This review is from: Botswana Time (Paperback)
I bought it very much last-minute to while away the tedium of flying and was totally entranced from page one. I have not read either of his other books yet but they will definitely be my next purchases.

Will Randall's ability to mix humourous anectdote with serious/shocking facts is outstanding, but the very best part was the fact that he was able, in this day and age of targets/league tables etc etc, to teach in the "old fashioned way" and evoke a time long lost in this country when teachers were able to use inspiration and spontaneity in their methods.

I am not a teacher, but am married to a Headteacher and have worked for 15 years as a school secretary - so I do know of what I speak. I also have a keen interest in all things African since my daughter has a Tanzanian partner and is likely to spend her future years in Tanzania helping in the fight against AIDS.

This review is not biased in any way - this is a truly heartwarming book and I cannot recommend it highly enough.