Profile for M. Beaconsfield > Reviews

Content by M. Beaconsfield

M. Beaconsfield "shimmer_kitten" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
MCQs in Pharmaceutical Calculations (Tomorrow's Pharmacist)
MCQs in Pharmaceutical Calculations (Tomorrow's Pharmacist)
by Ryan F. Donnelly
Price: 20.89

5.0 out of 5 stars I PASSED!, 2 Aug 2014
I got a few books for the exam. This one was the best. Broke down the different style of questions, and worked up from easy to hard in each chapter. Explains working out in the back - some not so clear, but you could follow them and alter the method if you liked. Lots of handy tips at the front of each chapter.

Most importantly it offers bags of practice for us math dummies. I PASSED WITH THIS BOOK 8)

Passing the Literacy Skills Test (Achieving QTS Series)
Passing the Literacy Skills Test (Achieving QTS Series)
Price: 8.73

2.0 out of 5 stars Plodding, Unnecessary, 27 April 2014
As a native English speaker, I found this book to be a real chore. The explanations behind the answers are scant and confusing to say the least. The book was lacking in any useful practical tips, and quite frankly you can get hold of the current spelling sets online. I suggest you go find them and memorise them. The ones in the book are outdated and unlikely to be on the 2014 exams since they swap the sets around every few months. There are also student forums and websites with many free tips, test questions and advice that is far easier to swallow than this beast. If you speaka teh Engerish already, then you don't need this book. Unless you particularly love getting bogged down in technical grammar jargon. Most English speakers can read a sentence and pick the correct missing phrase without knowing how; it just sounds right. Need help in the comprehension section? This book doesn't really help there either! The non-interactive sample tests available from the DfE website has far better guidance. Punctuation? I didn;t need this chapter as until August 2014, the punctuation section does not feature in the exam.

The only good thing about this book is it contains ONE practice test at the back.

Real Life Size D Summer Hen
Real Life Size D Summer Hen
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Clucking Good Hen, 31 Mar 2014
Mother's day chicken went down a treat. My mother has been eyeing up bird figurines for a while but finds them a bit pricey and some rather tacky. This one had a price tag that beat the high street, and it's the same lovely quality product we found in the shop. Quite a realistic bird, with nicely painted eyes, realistic shape and good feathering detail.Only a little over 1kg (that's a bag of sugar), so needs a little securing in the soil if positioned in a windy spot. But for my mother, it looks grand on the lawn or in the kitchen. Not a big bird, but still acceptably realistic for those who know their hens.

Well packaged and arrived just in time for Mothering Sunday

Desperately Seeking Snoozing: The Insomnia Cure from Awake to Zzzz
Desperately Seeking Snoozing: The Insomnia Cure from Awake to Zzzz
by John Wiedman

5.0 out of 5 stars Get your ZZZZZs, 28 Feb 2014
No better book for telling you bluntly what you're doing wrong and how to fix it. If you follow the rules in this book, you can get better sleep hygiene. It is HARD to do, but that's why you became an insomniac! Read the book, and try it for 3 days. Stick to the rules, and suddenly something will click. YOU CAN DO IT.

Paper Mate Replay Max Eraseable Ball Pen Medium Black - Box of 12
Paper Mate Replay Max Eraseable Ball Pen Medium Black - Box of 12
Price: 14.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Exams and lab work, 28 Feb 2014
I use these in exams and for lab work. No better way to keep your exam essays and practical lab results looking neat, even if you messed up! Just rub it out and rewrite. Be warned, the ink seems to fade over time, esp if the paperwork is kept in binders where the paper will rub against other leaves. So not ideal for note taking in lectures, as 6 months later in revision time, you might find your writing too faded to read. But perfectly good for exams and lab work that gets marked straight away.

JVC HA-EB75-AE Sports Headphone with Adjustable Clip - Blue
JVC HA-EB75-AE Sports Headphone with Adjustable Clip - Blue
Price: 6.42

3.0 out of 5 stars No good for small ears, 28 Feb 2014
Petite lady, and I just couldn't get on with these. I found even on the smallest fitting, it was just too big for me, and they felt wonky and uncomfortable. Since I jog, they were pretty useless,and I would still get the sound of wind in my ears,then they'd fall out. They look stylish, ok sound, but just weren't fit for small ears.

Pass the QTS Numeracy Skills Test with Ease: 2012 - 2013
Pass the QTS Numeracy Skills Test with Ease: 2012 - 2013
by Vali Nasser
Price: 7.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Starter, 28 Feb 2014
Not a bad little book for a bit of practice, with some useful tricks for quick mental math. I think more could be done to organise the content, as it can take a while to reference something you read earlier. I'm not convinced it contains the most useful methods, and could really do with demonstrating more than one way to work out a sum. But what it does have is decent enough, and I did learn one or two handy tricks. It lays out some key concepts in a very simple fashion (like box and whisker plots), so would suit someone who is a bit rusty with their graphs,mean, modes, cumu frequency etc. Is it written for dyslexic people like myself? Sadly not, but I managed all the same and found it a useful resource.

Butterfly Orchid Lights - Pink - Fairy Light Twigs
Butterfly Orchid Lights - Pink - Fairy Light Twigs
Offered by Beaumonde
Price: 27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 28 Feb 2014
They look pretty realistic in pink, and the lights look lovely. I put mine in a silver dome vase, which reflects the LEDs adding to the effect. The wire is unobtrusive and quite long. Had these for a year now and they're still working.

Waterproof Wireless Solar Motion Detection Sensor Light 16 LED Wall Illuminate Garden Yard Lamp
Offered by BuyinCoinsUK(ship from HK)
Price: 7.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for security, pets and unwanted pests!, 28 Feb 2014
I bought one, then was so pleased I quickly bought another. I have an open back porch with a clear plastic corrugated roof. I fixed my solar lights to the cross beams so they can catch the sun, while being protected from rain. Sadly I can't say how weather proof this item is due to this setup. But it works great capturing the sun through the plastic roof. Even just a few hours of moderate sun seems to charge it enough for a night's use.

I have 2 very small dogs, and wondered if the sensor would detect them when mounted a good 7 foot high off the floor. It does! So now when I let them out, the sensors pop on and I can see what the pups are up to. It also makes putting the bins out easier, and I can avoid accidentally treading in any cat mess or tripping on pots! On the same vein, the pesky neighbourhood cats seem quite put off by the lights, and when they trigger it, then tend to scat. If not, the dogs have already learnt that the light going on means a sneaky kitty is planning to nosy about the doggy flap or piddle on the plants. So now they rush out to see the pest off!

I also have an unlit alley behind my house, so it's nice to have these lights to put off any intruder.

I don't find that my plants or laundry trigger the lights, even when they blow in the wind near them. The sensor seems to be heat responsive (??). Can't be sure, but it means the battery seems to last.

When not on bright, the light emits a low glow which is bright enough to still see the ground. 2 lights on a low glow are plenty for me to see into the back garden. When they go bright, it really is impressive how much light they throw out. After 30 secs they go back to a low glow.

Lastly, they look tidy. They are small and unobtrusive. The fixtures are secure, and the metallic top seems very sturdy. The light itself is a white PVC cover over the LEDS, and it's easy to wipe clean.

For a tenner each, these are just what I needed.

Petmate Dog Door, Medium, White
Petmate Dog Door, Medium, White
Price: 29.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Petmate is Great, 2 Oct 2013
If you came here from the Staywell door, then you've made the right choice. I replaced the draughty, noisy Staywell medium door for the DogMate medium. They are both nearly the same size, so the hole in the door was perfectly covered by DogMate. Plenty of thick trim included - easy to cut to size - and a nice firm seal around the edges. The draft exclusion trim and strong embedded magnet mean the door closes quietly, and stays closed in a gale. No breeze around the edges. The edging seems tough enough for my Jackpom and Pomchi to race through. The dogs aren't able to get at the embedded magnet or chew it, so it's safe for puppies (unlike the staywell brand). It looks tidy and smart, with a slide down cover to stop the dogs getting out overnight or strays getting in. Value for money. Haven't you bought this door yet? You can do it alone, but two people holding it in place can screw the whole thing together in less time than it takes to read this review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5