Profile for Frostycat > Reviews

Content by Frostycat

Frostycat (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Gadget Giant ® New Genuine TAN Series Suede Leather Luxury Feel Smart Flip Wallet Stand Case Cover for the New iPad Air iPad 5 with Full Auto Sleep Wake Function - Rainbow Shooting Stars iPad Air / iPad 5 Case & LCD Screen Protector for iPad Air
Offered by LaughOutLoud24/7

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 2 July 2014
Absolutely love it! The case is strong, sturdy enough to securely prop up the device on the table without the 'slow collapse' that my last case had, and it looks good too! I love the shooting star design which makes my tablet look funky and unique. Highly recommended.

The People of the Abyss
The People of the Abyss
by Jack London

4.0 out of 5 stars To be read as a curiosity, 11 May 2013
When Jack London wrote this book in 1903, it caused a huge furore in polite society, as such an in-depth commentary on the poor and destitute of London's East End had never been seen before. Apparently it was the catalyst for a huge protest against the suffering of the poorest people in London, and the beginnings of a push for reform. Today it appeared to me to be a curiosity in itself. The book is very much of its time and although London himself is trying to expose the appalling suffering and misery he encounters, the way in which he refers to the poor Londoners and people he meets still smacks of a rich individual looking patronisingly with an indulgent eye on the 'lower classes'. However, we should congratulate him for achieving his aim, and it's a depressingly vivid depiction of the squalor of a world that has hopefully passed into history.

Cooking for Two (St Michael Cookery Library)
Cooking for Two (St Michael Cookery Library)
by Rosemary Wadey

5.0 out of 5 stars Very 1970s!, 11 May 2013
I had this book when I first got married in 1979 and it somehow got lost in various house moves. It was great to revisit some of the recipes I used to set such store by, and now my kids are grown up it's back to 'cooking for two'. The sardine pizza is currently enjoying a revival, although my husband looked askance at it at first!

Myths From Many Lands
Myths From Many Lands
by R L Green

4.0 out of 5 stars A nostalgic trip down memory lane!, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Myths From Many Lands (Hardcover)
I bought this book because I love to wallow in nostalgia and my mother used to get it from the library for me as a child. The illustrations look very dated now, but the stories are timeless and no doubt would still fascinate young children (mine are grown up so I have nobody to read it to!). Quite fun to see that one of the stories comes from 'Betchuanaland' (Botswana, before the Brits released their hold on it!). It's a lovely, richly illustrated book that hasn't lost its appeal, although quite pricey.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 May 2013
The fabric is a lovely print, but there is no inner tie to keep the gown fastened, and so it keeps slipping open as it is very slippery material. The belt was very short and barely went round me (and no, I'm not hugely fat!). Still, I suppose you get what you pay for.

Les Misérables (Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UV Copy) [2012]
Les Misérables (Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UV Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning in every way, 11 May 2013
Well, what to say after all the other reviews, except that they ALL deserve Oscars, every single cast member - yes, even Russell Crowe. Who would have guessed he would ever sing in a musical? But sing he did, and although perhaps not the most impressive vocalist, was 100% convincing as Javert. From the very first scene, the film is an assault on the senses, visually stunning and convincingly acted. It's easy to concentrate on Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway and the other 'stars', but equally as impressive are Marius's compatriots who man the barricade to the last man, and the young lad who plays Gavroche. I saw this movie twice in the same week at my local cinema, and it's one of those rare shows where the film outclasses the stage production (unlike the disappointing War Horse). Five stars it and if I could give it six, I would have!

Screaming Skulls and Other Ghost Stories
Screaming Skulls and Other Ghost Stories
by Elliott O'Donnell

4.0 out of 5 stars old fashioned horror, 1 Mar. 2013
O'Donnell always portrayed himself as a dedicated ghost hunter but I recently read that many of his so-called 'experiences' are now believed to be the products of a fertile imagination. However if the reader is just prepared to accept the stories as just that, some are really creepy, along the lines of M.R.James's work. I found 'The Grey Horror' with it's long-legged figure striding through the mist particularly unsettling. Some stories are merely reports of fabled hauntings in various sites around the country but they still take on an eerie feel when we hear from so-called 'eye witnesses'. True or not, they're the sort of tales that make you think twice before turning out your light!

Moominland Midwinter (Puffin Books)
Moominland Midwinter (Puffin Books)
by Tove Jansson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and atmospheric - a lovely book for all ages, 2 Feb. 2013
Most of the familiar characters are sleeping their winter sleep, but the fabulous pageant of winter creatures which Moomintroll meets for the first time is mysterious and amazing. Set against a background of midnight sun and northern lights, Moomintroll's initial distrust of the strangers of this new world contrasts with his determination to remember his manners (how will he feed all the new visitors?) and his childish delight in their tales and their lifestyles. Some are just great fun, some are tragic and some truly terrifying- who is The Lady of the Cold? Everyone hides in the beach house when she comes apart from the foolish squirrel who pays with his life. And the snow horse with mirrors for eyes, which gallops away. What's that all about?? So glad The Groke made an appearance - my fave character, who is so tragic. She craves warmth and companionship but only succeeds in putting out the fire with her coldness. Shunned by everyone, she retreats into the dark and cold from which she came. I love her.

The coming of spring is a relief for Moomintroll - however, we feel he has learned something about the ways of the world and the cycle of the seasons. Moominmamma, as engaging as ever, takes the chaos of the untidy house and the decimation of the jam store in her stride. A lovely book, definitely as much for adults as for children. I certainly thought so, anyway,

Finn Family Moomintroll (Puffin Books)
Finn Family Moomintroll (Puffin Books)
by Tove Jansson

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless pleasure!, 26 Jan. 2013
It was at least 40 years since I read the book, and I recently acquired it in a book sale. How delightful and absolutely timeless - it's as fresh now as it was then and could be read to children of any age at any time. The characters are so weird and utterly compelling. Hattiefatteners? What the heck are they supposed to be?! Now, in middle age, I found myself trying to interpret the characters, looking for hidden meanings. Maybe there aren't any! Perhaps it's just a fantasy world and we should just enjoy it as that. Certainly that's what it's target audience does. My fave character is the Groke - so scary and yet so tragic. Nobody loves Groke. She had her prized possession stolen and was fobbed off with the Hobgoblin's hat. She is so lonely - I want to go and light a fire for her in the forest. I would like a whole book dedicated to the Groke, to find out where she came from and why her life is so solitary. Lovely, lovely book, and my guess is that in another 40 years kids and adults alike will still be enjoying its timeless charm. I'm off to look for the others now!

Marguerite Patten's every day cook book in colour
Marguerite Patten's every day cook book in colour
by Marguerite Patten

5.0 out of 5 stars My bible for 40 years, 16 Dec. 2012
I won this book as a school prize in 1972 at the age of 13. 40 years later I still refer to it for great basic information and some of the recipes have passed into my family's inheritance. Forget all the funky modern tv chefs with their 'modern twists' - You want to know how to roast your Christmas turkey perfectly, make a truly delicious Christmas pudding or perfect victoria sponge, then this book is all you need. Since 1972 I have acquired dozens more cookery books, but none compares to this one, which I still refer to time and time again. A true classic - it will be passed down to my kids, and hopefully to theirs too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4