Profile for sm > Reviews

Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Tactile Action UK Keyboard
Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Tactile Action UK Keyboard
Offered by The Keyboard Company

3.0 out of 5 stars Do you like clicks?, 27 Jan 2014
I like the 88 key format a lot without the numeric keypad making the mouse much closer to the keyboard. This item is solidly built.

However when I ordered the brown "tactile action without audible click", I mistakenly expected a near-quiet typing experience. It turns out this is quite a noisy keyboard, noisier than 8 other (basic office) keyboards in use around the office that I carefully tried by way of comparison. My laptop keyboard is almost silent by comparison.

Typing noise is made in 3 main ways:
- finger hitting key
- key hitting bottom of travel
- depressed key springing back up and hitting top of travel
By carefully breaking down the action, each of these can be tried individually. My Filco makes roughly as much noise from each part, but the final upspring seems to be the loudest. Yes I tend to push the keys fully down when typing normally, however even when typing very lightly, but heavy enough to trigger the keys, the noise is little different.

Assuming you cannot try a range of keyboards yourself, then I suggest looking at online videos comparing different keyboard typing noises before you buy. If you like clicks, this could be for you; if not, look elsewhere.

In fact because Filco offer lots of options, I feel they should provide better guidance on selection. Without this, more are likely to buy keyboards they are less than happy with.

The keyboard comes with a key remover and you can very easily remove and replace keys, different colours are available. Alas I have no real desire to pimp my keyboard.

Note some descriptions imply a second set of keys giving a choice of lettering – it is not. You must choose when you order from printed on top (like most keyboards), printed on the side (quite nice if you can type anyway, not for a beginner), or completely unprinted (experts only!). I chose keys printed on the side though for some reason the 2 windows keys were the only keys printed on top (in the usual indented circle), and spare windows keys printed only on the side are provided in the box. I swapped these over easily in a few seconds. If you wished to make things hard, you could confuse yourself or your friends by putting the keys in the wrong positions! Note that when you remove a key, the "brown" switch underneath is visible, with the key in place, you do not see any colour.

So overall, a good solid keyboard that will probably outlive both me and the keyboard age, and makes more noise than I would really like.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2014 3:19 PM GMT

Canon High Resolution Paper 100Sheet A3
Canon High Resolution Paper 100Sheet A3

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than photo paper for technical photos and drawings, 29 Sep 2013
We have bought a great many papers over the last 3 years (though never done an exhaustive comparison). This paper appears to give the best results for our use which is printing of technical drawings involving photos where we value accurate reproduction over glossiness and wow factor. Our volumes are generally low (1 to 20 copies, 1 to 200 pages per job, not constant jobs).

Using a good quality A3+ inkjet printer (1200 dpi in theory) we have tried various weights and finishes of paper. We believe the best reproduction is using this paper, better than special photo papers. We find we cannot see a difference between good quality generic inks and dearer own brand inks.

We regularly mave material printed at commercial print shops and ask for their highest quality option each time. In output comparisons (we pore over prints with a big magnifying glass), none of the print shop prints are as good as our own prints on this paper.

Draper DIY Series 26013 283 g (10 oz) Stubby Claw Hammer with Fibreglass Shaft
Draper DIY Series 26013 283 g (10 oz) Stubby Claw Hammer with Fibreglass Shaft

5.0 out of 5 stars Dimensions are 162x108x28mm, 29 Sep 2013
The dimensions stated under product information ("21.6 x 14.6 x 3.8 cm") must be for the package, not the hammer itself. The hammer is 162mm long by 108mm acros with a depth of 28mm. I bought it to keep in a small place where it fits just fine.

If you hammer nails in all day on a building site, this is not the hammer for you, but you are unlikely to be looking on Amazon in that case.

With a very light shaft, all of the weight is in the head. The head is substantial and solid, I think stainless steel, not much different in size from a standard size hammer. The hammer has a nice feel. By way of comparison, a pin hammer would have a much smaller lighter head, but be longer overall.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2014 11:06 PM GMT

Premier Housewares Tub Sofa Leather Effect with Dark Wood Legs - 76 x 126 x 68 cm - Brown
Offered by Home Discount Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for office reception, 22 Sep 2013
Arrived quickly as agreed. Though we had to help the delivery man get them across the busy street in their enormous cardboard boxes, and carry them up flights of stairs, the product is extremely light and can very easily be carried by two people without any strain. The product is fully made up - we just took out of the huge box.

This is not a luxurious hotel lobby sofa to disappear into, but is great for a reception/ waiting area and used for meetings in our formal Victorian space. Fits 2 people nicely without cramping. The rounded corners of the tub shape are ideal for our space where a pair of these sofas sit with a table between them in a hall space.

Real leather and softer filling would be nicer, but dearer.

They have been in place for 5 months now with no sign of wear and I am very happy with them.

Staedtler Triplus Fineliner 334-3 Tips - Blue (Pack of 10)
Staedtler Triplus Fineliner 334-3 Tips - Blue (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Do their job quietly, perfectly!, 22 Sep 2013
Great pens!

I have used a lot of bad pens in my time and it is by contrast to all of the bad pens out there that these no-nonsense pens stand out. Leaves a narrow, precise line; good for general writing, signatures.

I find the rounded triangular shape very easy to hold.

~£9 is a bit dear for 10 blue but this should come down.

Cup Hooks Shouldered Bright Plate 1-inch (Pack of 18) (Product Code - U-R065)
Cup Hooks Shouldered Bright Plate 1-inch (Pack of 18) (Product Code - U-R065)
Offered by Trade Supplies-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hooks, not really big enough for mugs!, 22 Sep 2013
These are good hooks, nice and shiny and appear solidly made.

I bought to hang mugs on and about half of my (all different) mugs fit ok. Many of the others have wider handles and hang dangerously high on these hooks such that a slight touch could make the mug fall off. In other words I need larger hooks.

I drilled pilot holes which make the hooks easy to screw in, but they would probably go into softwood without a hole if you are quite strong.

Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 Superspeed Multi-in-1 Card Reader 4-Slots for SDXC, SDHC, SD, CF, High-Speed CF (UDMA), MS, M2, Micro SDXC, Micro SDHC, Micro SD Cards [Support UHS-I]

3.0 out of 5 stars Good once you've got the hang of which slot to use!, 22 May 2013
I think this card reader is a good product and well made. It works well with my big CF cards. It has a nice feel and comes in a nice box. I originally gave a 1 star rating as I failed to dock a micro SD card after a lot of fiddling and web searches and Anker website. I have revised this to 3 stars on the basis it does work as described.

There are no instructions with the product. I am all for a device so simple it does not need instructions, but . . . a device that takes 12 kinds of cards with only 4 holes - I'm afraid it is not at all obvious for some card types which is th ecorrect hole and which way up the card should be inserted. The micro SD card i was trying to dock is several millimetres narrower than the slot, and also only about half the thickness of the slot - as you start to insert the card, it is slack from side to side and up and down. It is only as you push the card fully home that it becomes solid and secure. I am not particularly keen on sticking my precious card with the only copy of photos randomly into slots hoping for a fit and praying the thing does not get stuck, or break, or get ruined by the exposed contacts touching the wrong electrical contacts in the device.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 2:26 AM BST

HGST Touro Desk DX3 4TB External Hard Drive - Black
HGST Touro Desk DX3 4TB External Hard Drive - Black
Offered by Nord PC GmbH & Co. KG

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware format issues, 15 Feb 2013
Giving a new device that operates normally only 1 star is pretty harsh. My reason is that I bought this drive to do a full system image backup of a server. 8 hours of my time later, still no backup. This problem is well documented online already. However, unless you look specifically, and unless you know to look specifically...

No disc or software came with the device, I can find no utilities for it online, nor any advice on the manufacturers website.

Straight out of the box, I can copy files on to this drive. But so far no backup.

There should be a clear warning in the product description saying what works easily and what does not.

I have tried Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 - unable to do System Image in any of these. No problem transferring files.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2013 1:03 PM BST

AC 110-240V 5W LED E14 Bulb White Indoor Spot Light Lamp 6000K
AC 110-240V 5W LED E14 Bulb White Indoor Spot Light Lamp 6000K

3.0 out of 5 stars Not confidence inspiring, 14 Jan 2013
I have a number of 3 watt LED spot lamp bulbs (E14 and E27 fittings, 240 volts) that I am very happy with, but they are not as bright as a 40 or 60 watt spot bulb that the desk lamps have been designed to take, so I am on the lookout for something as efficient but brighter.

The light does work, hence 3 stars, but this "5 watt" unit no brighter than my existing 3 watt units. The build quality is poor, with a metal ring around the front that is completely loose and has suspiciously discoloured the box it came in. It is quite a long unit so may stick out of your fitting, not a problem for me.

The packaging is a small white card box with no lettering or leaflet of any kind. I can see no make anywhere on the unit.

So for a good quality efficient LED E14/E27 around 4 to 6 watts, I'm still looking.

Microsoft Project 2010 (PC)
Microsoft Project 2010 (PC)
Offered by Barcleys

1.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy copy - beware, 28 Oct 2012
Bought from Gracie Used Software, one assumes reasonably kosher through Amazon, alas no.

The software did load and run ok initially. However, 6 months later when I tried to reload having wiped the PC, it would not authenticate online and so only now operates as a trial version for 30 days. Looking anew at the disc and case, I notice the card insert is too basic and does not have the Project P graphic for instance. Also the disc looks superficially like a genuine disc having metallic edge strip etc but on looking more closely, has other writing beneath "Microsoft". Finally the plastic of the (approx A5) disc case is rather low quality, does not open/ close well and no doubt is not a true Microsoft product. Patterns of scratching around 3 rectangular boxes in the front of the case appear to show where a sticker or some such has been prised off.

This product is not today (Oct 2012) available on Amazon from this seller, and the most recent feedback on their storefront is June 2012 so perhaps Amazon are on to them and have excluded them as a seller. If this is not the case, beware. Their seller rating remains at 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2013 9:54 PM BST