Profile for Anna Jones > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 14 Nov 2014
Difficult to comment on a book which is impossible to describe without spoiling the story. I found it interesting and made me rethink some of my attitudes. But in places too much theory about animal experimentation. Poor editing because easy to find out on line. But overall a good read and I'll recommend to my reading group.

The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle
The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusable book, 28 Oct 2014
Really enjoyed this book, which was a book club choice. Shows how useful these groups are, as they introduce you to new authors whom you might never have met.

Former People
Former People

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutal histories, 8 Oct 2014
This review is from: Former People (Kindle Edition)
There are several excellent reviews here, which outline the focus of this book and the hidden history it tells. The millions who died and the way in which Soviet History 'covered' it up. And the rest of the world allowed it.
The author has written a very readable book, which enables the reader to reassess not only this period of soviet history, but also why some millions of dead get more history than others. And also what other brutal histories need good writers.

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
Far too long and in need of a good editor. Basically a disappointing book and I am almost as much amazed that I finished it as that it got the Pulitzer Prize.

Noble Endeavours: The Life of Two Countries, England and Germany, in Many Stories
by Miranda Seymour

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and often moving read about German/English relationships - not all 'noble'., 7 Sep 2014
This is a fantastic book. I got it because my great grandfather was German. I never met him and did not get told much about him, except he was upset that he had to report to the police each week, during WW1. After reading the second half of this book, I realised that he and his son (my grandfather) were carrying on a long tradition of close Anglo-German friendship. The documentation for the poorer German immigrants, like them, is obviously not so easy for any author to find, but the general waves of immigration from Germany in the Victorian era, made me see why he had ended up in Manchester and later Bradford. My grandfather and his family spent holidays in Germany and Austria between the wars and sent my mother to Germany (Munich) in 1936/7. I assume this was to family, but reading the book I realised that my beloved Grampie was probably a Nazi sympathiser and certainly many other youngsters were doing what my mother did. Going to have a good time, without a political thought in her head. I certainly think my Grandfather cannot have sent her over if he believed that Hitler would wage war on England.
My mother only came back because the family there said that they could not guarantee her safety. From her scrapbooks and albums it was clear that she came back very pro Nazi and would have heard Hitler speak and seen what was going on. But she was truly protected from what was going on. One of the few things she did say, was it was only when she saw her banker's windows smashed that she realised something was wrong.
Within a year or so of her return to Englland, she was in the ATS Searchlights, throwing lights on the very young men she had been going out with. She never spoke about her German experience, never spoke German again, never returned post war. The scrapbooks and albums I saw had been torn. But interesting that she had kept them for what had obviously been a very happy part of her life. Seymour's book tells this story over and over again. Mostly about the very wealthy and influential. Particularly sad is evidence she found of 'lost' documents from those in Germany who knew what was going on the 30's and tried to get some intervention.
And again the message is we learn nothing from history as torture goes on today and misinformation is fed into the media. And of course the other thing about our own family history, is that we often only become interested when it is too late to ask anyone about it.

Stowabike Folding City Compact Bike - Silver
Stowabike Folding City Compact Bike - Silver
Offered by The Sports HQ

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, but check weight for your circumstances, 18 Aug 2014
A bit on the heavy site and I keep forgetting how to fold it. But once folded it fits easily into the car boot. It is easy to ride and quite comfortable. And most importantly, gave me confidence after not having ridden a bike for 50 years. There are also a couple of Youtube information videos which help, as the written instructions were not that helpful, to someone as poor at problem solving as I am!

The Kingdom of Light
The Kingdom of Light

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardwork, 18 Aug 2014
What a disappointment, it started well with the boat load of dead bodies. Plenty for Dante, the detective, to get his teeth into. But this line of the plot disappointed quite quickly. Dante himself as the 'prior' and poet did not come over well at all. I could not suspend belief that this man wrote the Divine Comedy. Even Florence, which I think is a wonderful city, was a disappointing background.
I kept going for some time, but in the end decided I was wasting my time, hoping it would become clearer.
It looks as if there were some difficulties with the translation. The glossary was not alphabetical and so confusing rather than helpful.
Just amazed a publisher took it up.

Burnt Shadows
Burnt Shadows

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed views, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Burnt Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I read this book on line last rainy Sunday. So it was a good fast read. BUT I think it should have been better edited into two books. Asother

Kim (Unexpurgated Start Publishing LLC)
Kim (Unexpurgated Start Publishing LLC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Revisiting a text, 9 Jun 2014
Originally read and enjoyed many years ago - in the 60's - as a school text. Too late to thank the teacher now. But lovely to revisit and enjoy in a different way from that so long ago. An India of the Raj, yet a very different slant on it. And the 'Great Game' still goes on as as Snowden has shown only too well. Kipling is well out of fashion, but it is beautifully written and is a quick easy read. I expect Mr. K would have written three times as much if he had had a word processor!

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 2 April 2014
Although as also a parent of a dead child, it does no good engaging in the 'what if...' thinking. Have to get on with what life throws at you and hope you recognise and value all the good bits.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3