Profile for oscarthegrouch > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Ice (Alaska Heat)
Ice (Alaska Heat)

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 29 Mar 2012
This review is from: Ice (Alaska Heat) (Kindle Edition)
I read these 2 books the wrong way round which if I'm honest wasn't an issue as they can be read as stand alone books.
The thing that struck me was the differences in Luke's character. In Book 2 Chill he is very much described and written as being a reclusive "friendless" character who has kept relationships, even with his business partner Cort to a bare minimum. But, in Book 1 Ice, he is almost the opposite being a loyal and intuitive friend to Cort which gives me pause to think that he does have a deeper relationship than we're been led to believe.

The characters are well rounded and very real in their faults and emotional needs. Kaylie is feisty and determined whilst still being a very vulnerable and emotionally wanting female lead. She isn't afraid to take the bull by the horns but is also happy to allow Cort to be the protector and her demanding lover. Cort-yum yum-he's strong and typically male but you consistently get glimpses of his very damaged inner self which he allows Kaylie to nurture and heal. The plot is fast paced, full of OMG's and keeps you hooked.
Despite some initial reservations (not due to anything other than me reading them out of order) I loved this book, it could have been built into being a much bigger read whilst still maintaining it's honest and often heartbreaking feel. It kept me hanging and completely absorbed from page 1 til the end. I wont go into a long drawn out synopsis, I'll leave it upto you to find out but you really must read book 2Chill: Alaska Series, Book 2 (Alaska Heat) and I cant wait for book 3!!!

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, Book 1)
Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Drove me nuts, 29 Mar 2012
Firstly I've got to say sorry to all those obviously avid fans of this series, Why? because I disagree with a lot of the reviews!!
I bought the first 2 in this series based on the great reviews and really thought I was getting a new and fresh style of writing in what can be a very repetitive genre. I am sorely disappointed. I've rated it a 3 star more for the plot which took me a little by surprise and not necessarily in a good way, and because I have a soft spot for Terrible. He's not a handsome, debonair Alpha male, but a truly "human" character with a huge heart. You like him for who he is, and not what he does.
The dialogue between the characters had me gritting my teeth with the usage of the mixtures of grammar, colloquialism and slang. I had to really concentrate to understand what they weren't saying and not what they were. Which meant I kept having to re read sections so I maintained what was going on.
I agree that being an addict puts a whole new facet on what can be a very typecast female lead but this addiction, in my mind, just took over the book and was used to fill in the majority of it's pages, rather like Pollyfiller. I just wanted Chess to "get on with it". Stop being a bit of a slapper (I mean 3 men on a lead, surely not!-Yeah she does)and stop whining about the DT's (sorry again-having a rant).
There were many references to the Church of Truth and the layers of hierarchy, but if I'm honest, I just didnt get it. I really needed more about why and how and where Chess actually fitted in other than being a Debunker. There were references to Titles for other characters,like the Liaisons, that create this whole The Church as a Big Brother that I needed to be able to explore more, but this book just doesn't give you the opportunity. It's all in passing.
Maybe it's just because this is the first book and it gets clearer as the series grows, I hope so I've got book 2 Unholy Magic to get through.
Hell, I'm not sure I have the patience to read and see.

Lover Reborn: Number 10 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Lover Reborn: Number 10 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
by J. R. Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely sets the bar!!!, 26 Mar 2012
Lover Mine until now was my ultimate BDB book, one that I very easily compared others to, Lover Reborn however has absolutely raised the bar!!I would give it way more than 5 stars if Amazon would let me.
I never really engaged with Tohrment, I think probably because he was never the focus of previous books and then he kind of went off the rails and disappeared. I only acknowledged him as John Matthew's MIA "dad". I wasn't sure if I could enjoy his book or give it the attention that it would need. I am so very happy to admit that I eat my words. It was an amazing read. It was a hold your breath and OMG rollercoaster ride. I loved that John Matthew and Xhex were an integral part of the story line (JM is my ultimate droolfest)and that it re introduced so many of the characters we are so familiar and a little in love with. I loved Tohr's growth and potential to once again be the man that he was born to be. His up and down relationship with No'one was emotional, sweet, hot hot hot and often heartbreaking so much so that I wanted to throttle him at times for being so pig headed! I so cannot wait for the next installment ( do you hear me JRW???), I mean Quinn and Layla-what the hell!!! Blay and Quinn so need a HEA together.
Lassiter he came good after being such as pain in the rear, I hope we hear more of him. I could ramble but it would just spoil it for those avid fans who havent finished it yet ( I'm sad, I know having read it in a day)but what I will add is that it is a fantastic read and anyone not familiar with the BDB, you dont know what you are missing!!

True Devotion: 1 (Uncommon Heroes)
True Devotion: 1 (Uncommon Heroes)

3.0 out of 5 stars You have to have faith, 21 Mar 2012
I have this book only because it was free. If I'm honest I wont research further in this series.
I think the description is a little misleading. It isnt a hard hitting story about Alpha seals and their dangerous missions around the world. What you do get is a simple, almost rose tinted story of love, loss and friendship without the physical side!!
I must admit, I skipped a lot and still got the jist!! Why? It would appear that the author is deeply religeous and the book is crammed with prayers, references to faith and excerpts from the Bible. Its not my cup of tea but I wouldnt let this put you off if you feel that you could do this justice. It is after all only my opinion and no one elses.

The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld)
The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld)
by Gena Showalter

3.0 out of 5 stars Left me hanging, 21 Mar 2012
I have been an avid fan of the Lords of the Underworld series and so far have thoroughly enjoyed each character, their very human emotions and experiences and their strive to save the world! A roller coaster of a ride!!!
Sadly after a huge build up and lots of questions over Paris and his affinity to Sienna the Hunter, I feel kind of cheated. It took me ages to get back into the story and plot and to be able to make a connection to Paris. I had to keep putting it down and re visiting it. Even bought it on Kindle to see if this helped!
Please dont get me wrong, once I got my "lets finish the book" head on, I enjoyed their very quirky and often endearing relationship and am waiting to see how the introduced characters such as Zacharel and yes poor William get along. But, I do feel that what has been a very intense and long drawn out fight with both Cronus and Galen to have it end within the space of a very short chapter! Not satisfying.
Well what else can I say, other than I hope this doesnt put you off as everyone has a different expectation and opinion and honestly despite me having a hard time with Paris and Sienna the series has been a great reading experience.Enjoy x

A Cajun Werewolf Christmas (Stormy Weather, Book 6)
A Cajun Werewolf Christmas (Stormy Weather, Book 6)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sneeze and you miss it!!, 24 Feb 2012
I've loved the Cajun series and have relished their trials and tribulations and have loved every minute of it!
I really thought that this novella was going to complete the series but am very disappointed. Yes it was only 77p but it should have been a freebie! Lacked substance, style and any interaction that upped the pace of the story and gave you more of each couples intense and very lust filled relationships.It gives you no sense of who each character is and what they're made of, it reads like a To Do List.
Poor Ms Blake, very poor.

Grave Witch
Grave Witch

5.0 out of 5 stars more more more!!, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Grave Witch (Kindle Edition)
It's really hard to find stories that catch your imagination if you read as much as I do. Both Grave Witch and Grave Dance have most definately drawn me in. They're fast paced with a lot of witty reparte between the characters and more importantly, they feel real and not lacking in substance.
Alex can be tough, unbending and yet very vulnerable to her feelings about her very complicated-that's an understatement if ever there was one- relationship with Falin who in my mind is a bit yummy. I keep thinking just get on with it and go with the flow!!
My only criticism if that's what it can be called, is that if you are a fan of LK Hamilton's Merry Gentry series, then at times you feel as though you've read this before. There are a lot of similarites BUT I would urge you to keep an open mind and read on.
In a nutshell: I loved the books, have a definite crush on Falin and cant wait for more especially as Falin's parting line in Grave Dance is "Dont you dare throw out my toothbrush"!!!Oh I'm in Love!!!

Her Magic Touch (Hell Yeah! Book 3)
Her Magic Touch (Hell Yeah! Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Naughty naughty, 23 Feb 2012
This is lighthearted series with a staple format of a vulnerable virginal female lead who finds love and lust in the arms of a strong alpha cowboy!Plenty of hot scenes which leave little to the imagination thrown amongst witty and very real relationships.
Sadly I've only rated the 3rd story in this series with 3 stars, not for the story lines itself or even the repetitive use of one liners or phrases but more for the fact that for the first 20%+ of the story I felt it was a cut and paste from book 2 which is Jacob's story interspersed with background for the introduction on a new damsel in distress. Very naughty which spoilt the rest of what is obviously a great end to a tragic start!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2013 6:13 PM GMT

Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

5.0 out of 5 stars Smitten!!!, 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: Last Man Standing (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished this book and have read the full series in a week!
Its very hard to find a series where the books dont become a habit in the format in the way of a boom boom bang bang and the end, this series is a little predictable but it is undeniable that they are a very good read and totally enthralled me throughout.
Each of the characters are very different however and if you like an often tough "damsel in distress" and a Bad Ass Alpha in charge then you will enjoy this series as much as I did. I'm not going to write a whole synopsis as I think it can spoil things for new readers, I also cant pick a favourite although Reed (Whisper no Lies) really made me laugh with his one line quipps.
The plots are well written and arent lost amongst the whole graphic sex scenes that some other writers use, you are left with a very good visual but also have to use your imagination!
The attention to detail allows you to get a real feel for each scene and also is very informative about Special Ops in general.
They are definately on a parr with Maya Banks' KGI series. Enjoy!!!

Darker After Midnight (Midnight Breed)
Darker After Midnight (Midnight Breed)
by Lara Adrian

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a go., 30 Jan 2012
I am a great fan of the Midnight Breed series and have avidly waited for Book 10.
I wont write a great long synopsis as I feel they can often spoil it for readers who are just researching reading materials as they can unduly influence your choice. So far this series has been an amazing reading experience.
I loved the start and finally knowing that Chase is maybe going to have a little happiness but then the book kind of stops, it's almost as thought Ms Adrian has run out of artistic license and steam! There has been such a massive build up over the series re Dragos and his reign of chaos that for it to end so suddenly I felt a little cheated.
I'm glad reading the above reviews that there are further books or else I would have felt that the time I had invested and the relationship I have as a reader with each of the characters (Dante is still my fav!) could have been used elsewhere. What I will say is make your own mind up. We're all looking for something different and this may just be the one for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5