Profile for oscarthegrouch > Reviews

Content by oscarthegrouch

oscarthegrouch

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Tangle of Need: The Psy-Changeling Series (Psy-Challenging Book 11)
Tangle of Need: The Psy-Changeling Series (Psy-Challenging Book 11)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Intense and fullfilling read, 16 Jun. 2012
The Psy Changeling series has kept me wanting more at the end of each tale. This installment is no different. I'm desperate to see how Alice's awakening fits into everything and which side of the fence Kaleb is really on.
It's complex storylines and the re visiting of many of the series' characters leaves you with a well rounded story that has more twists and turns than a fairground ride.
Adria is so hard on the outside that it took me a while to see that very vulnerable and damaged inner shell. She wears her armour well and Riaz with his "have at it" attitude just wears that down with romance and the subtlety of a bull in a china shop! I loved it.
My only criticism-if that's what it is- would be that with such a long time between each book, I found that I had to really concentrate on the story to enable me to have a good grasp of what it was trying to say. It's not a book you can put down, wander off and then return to. Mind you, I'm one of those that has to read until I fall alseep or else I dont feel I've done the book justice!! Oh and Henry Scott-should have been a long drawn out death-he was such a baddie!!
Roll on Book 12, hint hint Ms Singh!!!

Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Book 21)
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Book 21)

3.0 out of 5 stars Stocking Filler, 9 Jun. 2012
I'm sorry but having waited for this book for what feels like an age, I can't believe how disappointed I am.
What's happened to the fast moving, intensely dark and macabre existence that Anita and her beau's face each and every day. I kind of feel like this is a catch up book that just reminds you who each character is and how they fit into the maelstrom that is Anita Blake.
The story line is weak and is drawn out to fill a book with a chunk of sex, shower and more sex and a few dead vampires. The content is more suitable for a novella. Poor, Ms Hamilton, definately not your best and leaves me dissatisfied.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2012 4:32 PM BST

Eternal Hunger: Mark of the Vampire Series: Book 1
Eternal Hunger: Mark of the Vampire Series: Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it !!!, 4 Jun. 2012
Avid fans of the BDB series and Gena Showalters Lords of the Underworld will probably say that there are a lot of similarities, but do you know what. I dont care!
I loved this book from start to finish and have hoovered up the following two books in the series. Eternal Kiss: Mark of the Vampire Series: Book 2Eternal Captive: Mark of the Vampire Series: Book 3
There's lots of steamy scenes, Alpha males, tough as cookies female leads and lots of male bonding. What's not to like. I need more!!!

Big Girls Don't Cry: Sexy Romantic Suspense (The Blonde Barracuda Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and loved it, 3 Jun. 2012
I downloaded this book as a bit of a filler in, it has so changed my opinion! I think the title as well is a little miss leading, it brings pictures of spoilt girls and poor relationships when actually this book is a hard hitting and fast paced murder mystery. It's kept me engaged and wanting to know the outcome. I loved Jake and his domineering personality and Lexi's desperate need to be in control when all she really wants is to let go and be loved.
My only criticism and the reason I didnt give it 5 stars, is that all through the book there is an amazing amount of sexual tension between Jake and Lexi, the pinnacle of the book is their first real sexual encounter and yet it is just described in a load of words rather than an actual scene. I'm sorry but I wanted more, I needed to know how she gave up her control and how Jake physically dominated her-being the alpha that he is-and yet the pages left me wanting.
Despite this, I will recommend this book to other readers and am hoping that Brady's book isn't long coming.

Blonde & Blue (Alexa O'Brien Huntress Series Book 4)
Blonde & Blue (Alexa O'Brien Huntress Series Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but needs to move on!, 29 May 2012
Whilst I have enjoyed all the books so far, I can't help but admit that I dont actually like Alexa. She likes to believe that she's this badass vamp/wolf but she constantly gets said ass, handed back to her. I find myself gritting my teeth and wanting to skip her inner dialogue and woe is me routine. I mean if I saw her on a night out, I just couldnt help myself, I'd have to slap her! She's got no substance as the main character and everyone around her ends up as collateral damage.
Shaz is said to be the Alpha male wolf and yet he blends into the background rather like a lap dog. There are many referances to his "Alpha dominant side" being shown in the bedroom scenes (sorry but my bathroom gets steamier!) but then the scene ends and its the next day! You never really get to explore this dominant side to him or are given an idea of how it changes the dynamics of his and Alexa's relationship.
As for Arys, I desperately want him to have a much bigger part in this journey as it goes along but sadly I feel that after 4 books we are never really going to be able to believe that he comes out on top and that as part of a trio there is some semblance of normality for him and that he has an equal part to play in their relationship.
As for the story line, it always feels like its just actually a sideline to Alexa's tantrums as "the life and death crisis" is over in the space of a chapter. Both Maxwell and Claire are made out to be all powerful and yet the big bad goes poof so easily.
Fingers crossed that Book 5: Death Wish gives me what I want, I am after all a glutton for punishment.

Once Bitten (Alexa O'Brien Huntress Series Book 1)
Once Bitten (Alexa O'Brien Huntress Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 26 May 2012
Whilst I did really enjoy this book and have downloaded the next 2 in the series, it did leave me with a little deja vu. I think that it's because being a prolific reader and an avid fan of the likes of JR Ward, Kresley Cole, Gena Showalter and the likes, this series does reflect a lot of the lines and intimations of Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series with a little of Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson thrown in for luck.
I guess with this genre having such a massive library to choose from there is bound to be a little artistic license used at times. Please dont let this put you off though, like I said an enjoyable read and I really would like to find out how Alexa's relationship with both Shaz and Arys (he may be dark and broody but him, I rather like) progresses. The Wicked Kiss (Alexa O'Brien Huntress Book 2)Only Vampires Cry Blood (Alexa O'Brien Huntress Book 3)

The Canuck Werewolf (Big City Pack, Book One)
The Canuck Werewolf (Big City Pack, Book One)

3.0 out of 5 stars Like reading a set script, 23 May 2012
Im sorry if this puts people off, I'm not usually so harshA Werewolf at the Falls (Big City Pack, Book Two)Werewolf's Treasure (Big City Pack, Book Three) but don't expect an in depth story with a real core of characters in the whole series let alone this book. [[ASIN:B006N4LTL6 Loved by a Werewolf (Big City Pack, Book Four):
It's rather like reading the same book over and over again with just different character names.
If I gave a synopsis it would be: Girl meets hot man, has hot sex-accidentally mated oops, finds out guy is werewolf, runs away, suffers separation anxiety-all is forgiven and more hot sex! there. Summed it up!!

First Grave On The Right: Number 1 in series (Charley Davidson)
First Grave On The Right: Number 1 in series (Charley Davidson)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 31 Mar. 2012
Granted, there are many books out there that are of a similar ilk, I've read quite a lot of them! This however had me enthralled from start to finish and I laughed so loud it made me snort! Every page has a memorable one liner-I loved the "I went to anger management but the therapist P**** me off"!! and Charley has attitude with a Capital A, in spades. Being the only Grimm Reaper and a girl to boot is a definate draw for new readers. I loved the build up of her relationship to and with Reyes (he's a definate cream your pants character-sorry)and I can't wait to see how this flourishes or not as the case may be. Despite her every day near death experiences, you can actually see a little of yourself in her. She's human-mostly- with human issues such as poor relationships with a step parent, being addicted to caffeine and fighting off amorous work mates! You really must give this series a go and then tell me if you ended up snorting as well!!

Ice (Alaska Heat)
Ice (Alaska Heat)

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 29 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Ice (Alaska Heat) (Kindle Edition)
I read these 2 books the wrong way round which if I'm honest wasn't an issue as they can be read as stand alone books.
The thing that struck me was the differences in Luke's character. In Book 2 Chill he is very much described and written as being a reclusive "friendless" character who has kept relationships, even with his business partner Cort to a bare minimum. But, in Book 1 Ice, he is almost the opposite being a loyal and intuitive friend to Cort which gives me pause to think that he does have a deeper relationship than we're been led to believe.

The characters are well rounded and very real in their faults and emotional needs. Kaylie is feisty and determined whilst still being a very vulnerable and emotionally wanting female lead. She isn't afraid to take the bull by the horns but is also happy to allow Cort to be the protector and her demanding lover. Cort-yum yum-he's strong and typically male but you consistently get glimpses of his very damaged inner self which he allows Kaylie to nurture and heal. The plot is fast paced, full of OMG's and keeps you hooked.
Despite some initial reservations (not due to anything other than me reading them out of order) I loved this book, it could have been built into being a much bigger read whilst still maintaining it's honest and often heartbreaking feel. It kept me hanging and completely absorbed from page 1 til the end. I wont go into a long drawn out synopsis, I'll leave it upto you to find out but you really must read book 2Chill: Alaska Series, Book 2 (Alaska Heat) and I cant wait for book 3!!!

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, Book 1)
Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Drove me nuts, 29 Mar. 2012
Firstly I've got to say sorry to all those obviously avid fans of this series, Why? because I disagree with a lot of the reviews!!
I bought the first 2 in this series based on the great reviews and really thought I was getting a new and fresh style of writing in what can be a very repetitive genre. I am sorely disappointed. I've rated it a 3 star more for the plot which took me a little by surprise and not necessarily in a good way, and because I have a soft spot for Terrible. He's not a handsome, debonair Alpha male, but a truly "human" character with a huge heart. You like him for who he is, and not what he does.
The dialogue between the characters had me gritting my teeth with the usage of the mixtures of grammar, colloquialism and slang. I had to really concentrate to understand what they weren't saying and not what they were. Which meant I kept having to re read sections so I maintained what was going on.
I agree that being an addict puts a whole new facet on what can be a very typecast female lead but this addiction, in my mind, just took over the book and was used to fill in the majority of it's pages, rather like Pollyfiller. I just wanted Chess to "get on with it". Stop being a bit of a slapper (I mean 3 men on a lead, surely not!-Yeah she does)and stop whining about the DT's (sorry again-having a rant).
There were many references to the Church of Truth and the layers of hierarchy, but if I'm honest, I just didnt get it. I really needed more about why and how and where Chess actually fitted in other than being a Debunker. There were references to Titles for other characters,like the Liaisons, that create this whole The Church as a Big Brother that I needed to be able to explore more, but this book just doesn't give you the opportunity. It's all in passing.
Maybe it's just because this is the first book and it gets clearer as the series grows, I hope so I've got book 2 Unholy Magic to get through.
Hell, I'm not sure I have the patience to read and see.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6