Profile for Filmfan > Reviews

Robert Mitchum: Baby, I Don't Care
by Lee Server
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed every page., 20 Jun 2014
I have just finished reading the book. It's very well written, and I enjoyed every page - and there are over
600 pages. I have also just ordered several DVDs of some of Robert Mitchum's films that I have never seen.
I recommend this book highly.

by Philip Groeber

2.0 out of 5 stars For beginners - shows notes only for the first 4 frets of the guitar - but without diagrams., 29 Dec 2013
These flash cards are OK for beginners, but some of the cards are extremely elementary. (For example, one card shows a guitar and says: "Name this part of the guitar." The answer: Strings. (Pretty elementary information, I'd say.) There are also cards for the notes - but only up to the 4th fret, and the cards for the notes do not include any diagrams - there's just a sentence telling you what string, which fret, and which finger to use to play a particular note.

For example, one card shows a picture of the note A, as you would see it, looking
at a piece of music. On the other side of the card it says "Note name A" and tells that the note is found on
the third string of the guitar, 2nd fret, and should be played with the second finger. But the card
doesn't show you a picture of a guitar fretboard and the location of that note - the card just tells you in a sentence where the note is played. A picture would be better instead of just a description of the location. It's a small point, but I'd say
it's a minus with these cards.

There are also cards for 17 of the basic guitar chords - C,D,G, etc.

Are We Live?: The Funniest Bloopers from TV and Radio
Are We Live?: The Funniest Bloopers from TV and Radio
by Marion Appleby
Price: 6.39

1.0 out of 5 stars All the one star reviewers have it right - unfunny, and a waste of money., 27 Oct 2013
Amazing that such a boring, unfunny collection can have the word "funniest" on the cover. If you must buy it, go for the copies for sale for 1 pence.

I hereby resolve that I will never ever again buy any book published by Michael O'Mara Books, with the word "funniest" on the cover or title page.

I'm sure that somebody could put together a book of truly funny bloopers - but this book isn't it.

CARISCH ONGARELLO ANTONIO - BOSSA NOVA STANDARDS FOR GUITAR VOL.2 Jazz&blues sheet Guitar
by A Various arr. Ongarello
Edition: Sheet music

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - these are not guitar arrangements., 6 April 2013
This is the only guitar book that I have purchased that I would say that
was a disappointment. It says on the cover: "15 Bossa Nova standards
arranged for guitar." I was expecting guitar arrangements. These are not guitar
arrangements as I think of guitar arrangements. What you get
are the songs with just the melody lines given, plus guitar chords, and the
words to the songs at the back of the book, in Portuguese. I was hoping to get
a good guitar arrangement of "Manha de Carnaval," for example. All I get from this
book is the melody line - thanks - I already know how the melody sounds - give me
a guitar arrangement if you want to call your book "guitar arrangements." False
advertising, I'd say.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2013 8:51 AM BST

The Timewaster Letters
The Timewaster Letters
by Robin Cooper

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time and money - sorry that I bought it at full price., 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Timewaster Letters (Paperback)
We don't all have the same sense of humor, obviously. I agree with the one-star reviews.
I was looking forward to reading this, based on the positive reviews. If you must buy
this book, go for those selling it at 0.01. I'm sorry I paid full price for this weak
attempt at humor. If you find it hilarious, as some do - congratulations. We all laugh at
different things - this book didn't do it for me.

Red Meat
Red Meat
by Max Cannon

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny., 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: Red Meat (Paperback)
Let me add my 5 stars to the reviews. Other people describe the book very well.
I think it's great. Definitely twisted humor, but very funny.

Essential Elements Flash Cards Gtr
Essential Elements Flash Cards Gtr
Price: 5.95

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for beginners, but covers only the first 5 frets of the guitar., 12 Oct 2012
OK for beginners - but includes the notes of the guitar only up to
the 5th fret. The cards also show some of the most common
guitar chords.

A better set of cards, to really learn all the notes on the guitar up through the 12th fret,
in a systematic way, is "Philip's Learn All the Notes on the Guitar."
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2013 8:39 AM BST

Offered by FlorenciumBear
Price: 4.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but could be better., 12 Oct 2012
These cards cover the notes on the first 5 frets of the guitar, and also show
some of the important guitar chords. The one thing that could be better:
for each note shown, on the other side of the card it TELLS you where
that note is found on the first 5 frets of the guitar (which string and which
fret) but it doesn't SHOW you with a picture or drawing of the frets, so that
you could see where that note is. Seeing a drawing is much better than just giving a
description about the location of that note.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 1:33 PM GMT

Schwartz Cajun Chicken Flavourful Sauce Mix 30 g (Pack of 8)
Schwartz Cajun Chicken Flavourful Sauce Mix 30 g (Pack of 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasted very good, with an easy recipe on the package., 22 May 2012
I tried this for the first time, tonight. A little spicy, of course, but that's Cajun chicken - it
was a good meal. The recipe on the package is very easy to make. Just a few ingredients, and
about 30 minutes to make. There are 8 packets in the box.

Remembering... Kenny Everett (BBC Audio)
Remembering... Kenny Everett (BBC Audio)
by Kenny Everett
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 12.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny compilation, 23 Dec 2011
I saw Kenny Everett on TV, but never heard him on the radio. A very pleasant surprise - he was brilliantly creative on radio. I can't argue against the negative comments - either you think his radio work was brilliantly funny, or you don't. I do. (I just discovered that the 2 cassette collection called "Kenny Everett at the Beeb" has the exact same "table of contents," as these 2 CDs, so it must be exactly the same material that is on these 2 CDs.) (I bought both CDs and cassettes, thinking that they were two different collections.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5