Profile for Alice Buckner > Reviews

Marriage Lines [DVD] [1961]
Dvd ~ Richard Briers
Price: 19.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Just about perfect, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Marriage Lines [DVD] [1961] (DVD)
I have just watched this charming series for the first time and it is just about perfect. I say 'just about' because, like so many BBC programmes, series two has been lost in the annals of time - not that it affects the overall enjoyment of this series which is essentially about a young couple who have just got married, setting up home together. Richard Briers and Prunella Scales both provide wonderful performances and from everything that can be seen here it is no surprise that they went on to be such stalwarts of British TV sitcoms. Funny and touching in equal measure - well worth buying even, if like me, you weren't around 50 years ago to remember it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2014 8:18 PM BST

The Complete Pregnancy Workout [DVD]
The Complete Pregnancy Workout [DVD]
Price: 16.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and relaxing, 7 Nov 2011
I can't comment on the postnatal DVD yet but if it is anything like the three pre-natal titles then this will be a great collection of DVDs. It is good to have a selection of DVDs to stop any one routine getting too samey and I enjoy them all to different degrees although Pilates is my absolute favourite - maybe that is just becasue that is what I am more used to.

Digging For Britain [DVD]
Digging For Britain [DVD]
Price: 14.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible, entertaining and Interesting, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Digging For Britain [DVD] (DVD)
I am not normally a big fan of history programmes on TV, with the possible exception of Tony Robinson's Time Team, however, I happened upon this great series on BBC Two and found it utterly compelling. The wonderful Dr Alice Roberts, who I recognise from both Coast and of course Time Team, has a way of bringing the history to life and her enthusiasm is contagious. This DVD contains the four episodes from the first series and covers four time periods The Romans, Prehistory, Anglo-Saxons and the Tudors. A second series has just finished and I hope that will be out on DVD soon. Thoroughly recommended for anyone with even just a passing interest in Britain's history.Coast - BBC Series Six [DVD]

Sugartown [DVD]
Sugartown [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sue Johnston

5.0 out of 5 stars Sugartown, 28 Sep 2011
This review is from: Sugartown [DVD] (DVD)
I just loved this series - but why did the BBC put it out so late (after the ten o'clock news)? Sue Johnston (Royle Family) always delivers a great performance and I have been a huge fan of Shaun Dooley since Married Single Other a couple of years ago. It took me a while to spot that Emily was played by Miranda Raison (Jo from Spooks) but then the series was over after three weeks. Come on BBC give us a second series so that we can all return to Sugartown - and in the meantime I can just enjoy rewatching the first series on DVD.

Alex Zane presents The Best of Rude Tube [DVD]
Alex Zane presents The Best of Rude Tube [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alex Zane
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 5.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 23 Sep 2011
Just watching the new series of Rude Tube on Channel Four with my boyfriend and we love it. I don't know how they find all the brilliant clips but it is the only show on TV that is guaranteed to get us laughing out loud every time - fantastic. And as for Alex Zane... well what more do I need to say! A best of DVD is just what we need to keep us smiling through those long winter nights.

Andrew Marr's Megacities [DVD]
Andrew Marr's Megacities [DVD]
Price: 12.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 31 Aug 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this series when it aired on BBC. I do tend to get Andrew Marr mixed up with Evan Davis (Dragon's Den) but I guess that is more my problem the his! Certainly Andrew Marr's energy and enthusiasm turned what was potentially a fairly dry series into one which was fascinating to watch as well as being very colourful and entertaining - although in the case of the Mexican sewer diving perhaps a bit too colourful eghhh! The series is packed full of information about the megacities of the world amd in particular London, Tokyo, Mexico City, Dhaka and Shanghai and also it is interspered with very human touches such as Andrew Marr working as rickshaw driver or being swamped by dance partners in Mexico.

Field of Blood [DVD]
Field of Blood [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Capaldi
Price: 9.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it. Great Casting, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: Field of Blood [DVD] (DVD)
Wow - I have just watched the first part of this series on BBC One and I absolutely love it. I have read the Denise Mina novels and the characters were just how I had imagined them with Jayd Johnson as Paddy Meehan being spot on. Together with the wonderful Peter Capaldi and David Morrissey this really was perfect casting. I have ordered the DVD so that I can watch this over and over again. Can't wait.The Field of Blood (Paddy Meehan 1)

Extreme Fishing Series 3 with Robson Green: World Tour [DVD]
Extreme Fishing Series 3 with Robson Green: World Tour [DVD]
Price: 15.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for Everyone, 3 Jun 2011
Oddly enough this series really does have something for everyone. My boyfriend is a mad keen fisherman who thoroughly enjoys Robson's exploits as he travels round the world catching the biggest, feisiest and downright ugliest fish in the sea - and I get to watch Robson...

Yogalosophy with Mandy Ingber [DVD]
Yogalosophy with Mandy Ingber [DVD]
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I might not look like Jennifer Aniston but..., 10 May 2011
OK so this DVD workout didn't turn me into Jennifer Aniston overnight but it is completely excellent. It is the first yoga DVD that I have ever wanted to watch and workout to over and over again and, as a consequence, I am already in much better shape and feel better about myself. Fantastic. I just can't recommend this enough. Thanks Mandy.